It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What medpack do you carry?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Lots of good ideas being kiced around. As an RN I will not go into all of the details of my med kit but its extensive and I have access to stuff that you could not get OTC like IV stuff and fluids, albumin etc.

But, you can still put together a good kit and when doing so you should take several factors into account:

1) How big? I took my family, local relatives, and neighbors and doubled it. However, I also include a backpack with a more mobile version fo the kit in case we are forced from our location. Being anal, the kit is divided into 4 Sections. I can tailor the mobile kit to the needs of the party

Basic first aid: Bandaids, ointment, yes crazy glue (known as demabond in medical applications. Just like the kind you may buy to put in your care etc.

Trauma: Gauze, bandages, sterile 4x4 and 2x2's, sterile non latex gloves, gowns, masks, compression bandages, sterile water, powdered collagen (controls breathing)

Drug: 3 sets of code medications (Epinephrine, atropine etc.) IV antibiotics (Rocephin, Vancomyacin, Gentamyacin should provide gram - and gram + coverage), Oral antibiotics (Zithromax) some other stuff that I will not get into

IV: IV catheters and fluid etc.

Now the last 2 are not as practical unless you are in the healthcare field, the first two are. You can NEVER have too big of a kit IMHO BUT you need to be able to go mobile with it.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Thats one hell of a kit you got there dude - But, to sound real nasty, are you going to be needed norephinphrine / epineprine? sure, they might come in handy in a theatres / trauma care unit, sure all that fancy sterile field and gowns nice gucci kit..but in a BOB ? I mean theres first aid then theres MASH in the field jobs... but, in a BOB is caring for the shocked and dying really a thing your gonna have time to do? OK if you have a solid fixed base to operate from long term, your bags the mutts nuts, but for a scrag bag to get you to your main stash, is all that kit really necessary? .. man I can see it now - 14 gauge hanging out your mouth ready for cannulation, gelofusion ready for the shocked man, your dropping the bag to reload your M4, all whilst trying to find a good site for the cannula...

Sure, I see your a RN, and your a humanitiarian and all, but, lets be honest about this, are you really going to be able to bug the light fantastic carrying all that around?

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
i'm a med first responder with a local sheriff's search and rescue team so i carry a heavy kit it's a dyna med bls trauma/o2 kit with a load of extra bandages and i carry a seperate o2 kit so i have o2 for 2 people this is not something the average person would use as somethings are regulated and you have to be certified to use them, the cost is also prohibtive aprox:500.00 but you can get some very nice kits from galls.com.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join