It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best hunting/survival knife?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Aw man I love a stone, got one about 3" x 1" with coarse on one side and fine on the other. Whatever you are comfortable with I guess. What I need to get is a good sparking tool for starting fires.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rigel Kent

Definitely the best bang for the buck. firesteel.com... Splurge for the Magnesium stick,rod and scraper. Best $12 you'll ever spend. Magnesium burns HOT! and is great to have handy if you don't have any tinder.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
i've been carrying an old solingen stag handle knife for over 20 years.
i love it, just wouldn't trust pounding on it or using it as a pry bar.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

everyone should have one of these right besides their knife and fire starter.

incredible little piece of steel.

speedy sharp

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Speedy Sharp is a great tool for restoring edges but it is an even better striker on a fire steel. The hardness of the carbide just throws massive sparks like a rain shower.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

awesome, i get to learn something every day!
never even crossed my mind.
does it wear it out, or take the fine corners off?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

I wouldn't worry about dulling your speedy. The ferrocerium that the fire steels are made of is softer than the carbide that makes up the speedy. Let the sparks fly!!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I am very pleased with my Condor combat machete, as my big knife. My small knife is homemade and in my eyes almost perfect. I want to try out the Tom Brown Tracker but I can't afford one... Someday I'll have the extra cash.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I own a Becker BK2 and that knife is sweet! They are made by Ka-Bar now. Its a 5 inch blade that's a quarter inch thick and it's made out of 1095 cro van steel which is a carbon steel. This knife will last a lifetime. I was going to get a Gerber lmf 2 but I have a friend thats a security contractor for the U.S. military and he says the gerber is garbage compared to the becker bk2.

CX

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
I own a Becker BK2 and that knife is sweet! They are made by Ka-Bar now. Its a 5 inch blade that's a quarter inch thick and it's made out of 1095 cro van steel which is a carbon steel. This knife will last a lifetime. I was going to get a Gerber lmf 2 but I have a friend thats a security contractor for the U.S. military and he says the gerber is garbage compared to the becker bk2.

You just made my wait for my BKR2 all the more worthwhile.

I'm looking forward to doing a couple of mods to it.

CX.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

They're a great knife. They are hefty though, almost 1 pound! They make them with a hammer pommel now, which they just started making like that this year. Im glad I got mine this year!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I have been thinking about getting a strong, hunting/survival knife lately, and this thread has been immensely helpful! Star and Flag from me

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I got my Becker BK2 strictly as a survival knife. Price was a huge factor as well for the BK2 isn't very expensive. You cannot get a better knife for the price however. THere are better knives out there but I am by no means a knife enthusiast so The BK2 is more than adequate for me. It's a pry bar with an edge!

CX

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
I got my Becker BK2 strictly as a survival knife. Price was a huge factor as well for the BK2 isn't very expensive. You cannot get a better knife for the price however. THere are better knives out there but I am by no means a knife enthusiast so The BK2 is more than adequate for me. It's a pry bar with an edge!

Unfortunately here in the UK they are not so cheap, i paid £75 for mine, thats about $116.

I got mine from Hennie Heines here in the UK, a great site. I thought at first that i had bought the firest generation knife without the pommel, as thats what the picture showed on the site, but when i phoned them up they said i'd be getting the new 2nd gen version.

CX.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

they are only a legendary blade in in their own mind-
i had two that snapped- very brittle steel.
maybe they had some trouble in heat treating.
cold steel seems to get mixed reviews..
i like crrt knives-s&w-boker- buck-
i can stand to lose a 30 dollar knife.
or make one out of a file.
what i'd really like is a frank beltame italy switchblade.
not very practical granted, but very cool.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by p51mustang]

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Donkeyman

i really liked you information about the knifes but you tell me is that legal to use in daily life.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Big fan of tough knives. This guy makes tough reliable knives to order.

www.pmooreknives.webs.com...

CX

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Well i finaly...after over a months wait got my BK2 Campanion 2nd gen today....and boy what a lump of metal it is too!!

This thing is like a tank! Fits lovely in the hand, not too big, not too small, its the goldilocks of my knives so far.

Weighs a bit too, accidentaly dropped it earlier whilst messing about with it....dropped it pommel end first into the family jewels...spend the next two minutes doubled up.

I am going to really enjoy this knife.

Love the Kydex sheath too, its the latest version too. You can unscrew the belt retaining clip/loop and fix it upside down if you like having your knife upside down on your webbing/pack strap etc. Even if the handle strap is not done up, the strength of the sheath retaining "click" is amazing, won't come out even with a hard shake.

I'm off now to wipe off the drool and get some oil on it.

Much recommended. Nothing too fancy, but you can tell its a solid keeper.

CX.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
One knife I've not seen mentioned is the Frosts Mora Clipper. They can be found for about $10 in either stainless or carbon steel and are very popular among the bushcraft crowd. I don't have one yet but will be getting one soon. In fact, I'll get several so I can put one in each of my kits. It's the same knife Cody uses on Dual Survival as a kneck knife.
My Air Force survival knife has a lot of miles on it and I love it as well.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

That is an excellent knife, as are all the BKT knives. You can't find a better, more durable knife than the BKT 2 for the price IMO. I knew you would enjoy it once you got it... go beat the hell out of it! Make sure you keep that carbon steel blade oiled... I hear olive oil is good, especially if your going to use it to cut up some food.

My next will be a BKT 3 I think. Scrapyard knives are also very good and some of them are modestly priced.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join