It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best hunting/survival knife?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I have a Kershaw BT. This is 3 knives in one. It comes in a nice black cordura sheath. It has a saw blade a fish fillet and a hunting blade. The blades are removable(only use one at a time)and 6 inches long. Perfect size for most any use. Very user friendly and easy to change out the blades, quick as well.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Best survival knife?........... www.sogknives.com... the model is a matter of personal preference and "fit", but I would stake my life on these blades. (no pun intended)

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
One blade for me is fine... a bayonet.........................................................connected to a fully locked & loaded AR15... LOL

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

You can shop around but i think you'll find what youre looking for here. www.smkw.com...
Happy hunting.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I recently found a really lovely knife to replace my old one. My old one was sadly lost, along with my axe by a friend who borrowed them for a kayaking trip

Anyway heres the new one.

www.knifecountryusa.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
without a doubt Ka-Bar Bull Dozier that's my knife of choice!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
for all around camping and hunting needs i carry a crkt razell ss7 its a big honkin blade that is razor sharp on top on bottom and on chisel point top edge is serated for cutting rope fulltang construction window breaker and most importantly a church key in handle base. very heavy a glancing blow will leave a very deep cut. i also carry a crkt m16 i got from walmart for 20 bucks i use it to strike me fire starter

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Take two knives. One big Swiss Army knife with all of the extras and one divers knife with the cutting edge on the back of the mirrored chrome blade with matches inside and an compass on top. The mirrored blade can be used to attract attention in case you have been hurt and need help in case you can't light a fire to get help.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I admittedly do not know much about blades, but when considering price to performance ratio, I've been happy with my purchase of a Kershaw Roughneck. Reasons:

- Blade had nice little area on top of the blade for sawing
- Sturdy frame for the blade
- Great grip and texture
- Nice sheath (often where people cut cost)
- Comes with a good edge on the blade out of the box
- Is in the 35-50 dollar price range

For me, I'd rather an item that wasn't cheap to the point where I'd doubt placing confidence in it under reasonable usage situations. On the other hand, I'd also rather an item wasn't expensive to the point where it influences my decision on what and under which likelihood to use it. That is personal preference though.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by joecool23
without a doubt Ka-Bar Bull Dozier that's my knife of choice!

This is the knife that I use and the knife itself is great...no complaints..

The problem is the sheath. It's kydex and requires 2 hands to get the knife out as that sucker stays put once it is "clipped" in. I am thinking of having a leather sheath made as I love the knife, but dislike the way it comes out of the sheath.

Very solid knife and cant imagine it breaking under any circumstance that I can think that I would be using it in.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I've got a full sized (7") straight edge KA-BAR with a nice non-slip rubber handle.

Would I say it's the "best"? Probably not... but it's up there and it's definately a quality knife. Sharp and precise enough to shave with, but heavy duty enough that I've used it to heft trees and split large logs for fires.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Survival knives are knives intended for survival purposes in a wilderness environment, often in an emergency situation when the user has lost most of his/her main equipment. Military units issue some type of survival knife to pilots in the event they may be shot down. Survival knives can be used for trapping, skinning, wood cutting and other uses. Hunters, hikers, and outdoor sport enthusiasts use survival knives. Some survival knives are heavy-bladed and thick; others are lightweight or fold in order to save weight and bulk as part of a larger survival kit. Their functions often include serving as a hunting knife. www.weapons-universe.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
i have a machete, a few knives cut down from henkels
that i got from the thrift store.
what more you need?
make some from a file.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

Buck! I have an 8 inch I have had for years,keeps an edge, and is easy to give an edge

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
sorry if it's a repeat. but i've trusted my life to these knives for many years.

kabar website

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Definitely some great knives mentioned here. However, survival/hunting scenarios will usually be very different requiring different tools.

From a purely survival perspective, it is often beneficial to think small, light and portable. Often, survival situations will pop up when you least expect them. I can't always carry my ESEE RC-4 with me nor can folks always carry a KA-BAR.

Think about something sized for EDC carry in your pocket or in a bag. Folders are great but fixed blades can often be better.

I stumbled on this website and this knife by accident and now I'm sold and have become a big fan of this little workhorse. The CRKT RSK Mk5 is designed by survival expert Doug Ritter as a true survival knife.

www.dougritter.com...

Thinking along the same size and functionality of the little Doug Ritter knife I also found the Bark River PSK which was designed to fit into an Otter Box 2000. This box is very popular for storing a personal survival kit. I haven't purchased this one yet. I'll just have to wait for my year end bonus. Hopefully!

www.barkriverknifetool.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The snook is the best guerrilla survival knife hand down.

CX

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I've just bought one of these, the 2nd gen version after hearing many good things about them...

Seems to be a great all rounder, solid by all accounts.

I have other tools too to cover anything that this won't manage.

CX.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Your best survival knife is a sharp survival knife, what I mean is that it is just as important to carry a small sharpening stone as it is to carry a knife

PEACE,
RK

CX

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel Kent
reply to post by CX

Your best survival knife is a sharp survival knife, what I mean is that it is just as important to carry a small sharpening stone as it is to carry a knife

PEACE,
RK

Very true.

I did all my knives last night, kitchen knives, outdoor knives etc.

I'm still on the hunt for a great sharpener, i can't get on with stones, never have done. At the moment i just use a steel or a Gerber ceramic sharpener.

Either way i can shave the hairs on my arms easily with it.

CX.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join