It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best hunting/survival knife?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
A few choices:

Buck folding blade
KA-BAR knife
Nepalese Kukri - the real ones, not the cheap Indian copies...
Swiss army
Gerbers are nice...

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I carry two knives with me all day, every day...

The two I carry both happen to be Gerber's.

My main box-cutting/everyday knife is a Gerber Mini Fast Draw:
www.gerbergear.com...

My secondary knife has serrations, perfect for quickly cutting paracord or tough tape. It's a black Gerber Ridge:
www.gerbergear.com...

I also have a larger knife for field use/hunting/gutting fish...It's a Spyderco "Bryd - Cara Cara"
spyderco.com...

I still need a nice, 7-9" fixed blade. I'm looking at some Benchmade blades right now....

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
What kind of knifes do guys recommend for just having in your pocket wherever you go? Just for everyday use and not too big.

Preferably ones with a serrated edge and can be opened and closed one handed.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
For a daily pocket knife.......Spyderco Knives, like the one mentioned above, are of superior quality. I have owned a few and they always perform well. They are used by many people in the rigging industry, so that alone speaks for their merits.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Spyderco as people are saying. I have a nice Gerber boot knife I like, but my top pick for a large bowie style that I use camping, hiking, whatever is my SOG Tigershark

You seriously CAN'T destroy this knife. My friend tested his very hardcore. After using it as a campfire poker for a couple years (and getting the blade red hot many times) the rubber handgrip expanded and came off. That's it. The steel is as solid as ever.

Mine holds and incredible edge even after being used chop wood when hiking. I could still shave with it.

I don't think tanto knives are that useful to survival, but I do like my Cold Steel Tantos quite a bit too.

My money for survival would be the SOG. Never, ever get one of those hollow-handle Rambo blades. You're better off with a great knife and a pocket sized survival kit. I got one that was for Air Force pilots (a small yellow tim) and then added some things to it.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This is a knife I had my eye on.

www.fernknives.com...

Good for a survival knife? Opinions?

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
One more question for the people who know a bunch about knifes. (one subject I'm trying to learn more about)

I want a knife (folding) that can..

1. Fit in my pocket and be carried around easily daily.

2. Can do little task around a house (cut wire, tape)

3. Do things outside like cutting rope, knotches in wood.

4. And things like cutting a squirrel or fish open if I had too.

Ideas? Are there even knifes avalaible for that kind of use?

[edit on 19-12-2006 by enjoies05]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
A CRKT Ryan 7 half and half.

Holds an awesome edge even after major abuse, is small and light, yet incredible in the hand even when being used in a down pour.

Its got a great clip to attach onto your gear, and is for me the greatest knife 'just in case' to have on you - opens one handed using a larger than normal knurled knob to assist opening it.

A great knife at a great price.

heres a piccie of it.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Enjoies05,
Spyderco knives, as I mentioned before, are superb pocket folders in every respect. They are called upon to perform every task you mentioned, and more, and complete each task with flying colors. They are used by police forces, military, emergency response teams, rescuers, and professional riggers. I have carried one for years for general duty and find them very durable. They make many styles of pocket folders, most with built in Belt or Boot clips. I suggest you take a look at their catalogue and I am certain you will find something you like.

I have worked for everyone from Disney to the DEA, and have abused my Spyderco knife in horrible ways, and because it has stood the test of time, I will always recommend them.

spyderco.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
What about kershaw knifes? Are their folding knifes any good?

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I am not an expert on Kershaw knives and don't know a great deal about them. I do know however that some of their knives are total crap, like their Carabiner knife. It is a toy and in my opinion, any knife manufacturer who makes gimmick knives isn't worth considering.

I could be proven wrong however.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
What about the "Blackout" www.thekershawstore.com...

Or

"Blur" www.thekershawstore.com... ?

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with the basic design/shape of those two knives, but if it was me I'd go for a Spyderco version first. You can get the same basic style from Spyderco, and their high quality I can vouch for. They don't make gimmic knives.

The only time I have seen a Kershaw used, was in the kitchen. They do have several kitchen knife designs.

[edit on 30-12-2006 by Terapin]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
the CRKT range have a very unique locking mechanism. When opened, you slide forward a small knurled bit, and this makes it impossible, even under the heaviest strain, of closing it on your fingers.

I have had other folders that have failed under duress, and that for me sold it along with its amazing ability to withstand major abuse.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
i work for a local sherrif's search and rescue team in the pac/nor/west, and have a few knives i depend on:

pocket

kershaw leek
swis army victorinox tniker
gerber 450
several benchmade

sheath

cold steel srk
cold steel recon tanto

big stuff

cold steel ltc

you can also get a nice diamond sharpner shaped like a credit card from smokey mountain knife works for less than 10.00 which you can glue to the back of your knife sheath( use something like bargew cement or goop)
any knife is better than no knife but the knife that lets you down can injuer you wich can be fatal in survival situations and even if it does not hurt you it deprives ypu of one of your key tools. redundency is the key as long as you don't over do it , a pocket knife , a multitool, and a good sheath /belt knife ...and if you feel better with one a friskers or gerber camp ax or a machete. sorry about the spelling , but i can hardly think and type at the same time (the bubble gum syndrome).

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I remember reading about this knife in the 90's made by wilkinson swords UK its supposed to be an excellent survival knife. Production was eventually stopped due to lack of uptake, it was expensive at about £320.

public.fotki.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
the only thing that i saw in your request for a general use easy to cary pocket knife that was different was the " cut wire " well if you do cut wire on any kind of regular basis you ned a milti-tool not a gereral purpose pocket knife. there are many very many of these that range fron small and cheap ( read useless .. mostly) to big and expensive. leatherman juice is a smaller, though still good tool.www.leathermanstore.com...
but gerber sog and a few other do moke good tools.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It depends on what your doing here are four good opitions gleaned from 15 years teching survivial:
Cold steel Bushman
Russell 'green river' drop point hunter
A Swedish 'frosts' or 'mora' knife
A QUALITY khukhri (nepalese ghurka knife)
the first two are good general purpose knives. The third the most commonly seen knife at primitive skills gatherings. And the last a bruiser for major chopping

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
S.O.G SEAL

This is mine.
I call him Mr Stabby

Used and tested by SEALS.
I'm so glad they're fighting back against those blummin Eskimos

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I use a:

- Leatherman Wave for general purpose stuff / utility
- KABAR for survival
- A M7 bayonet for backup/weaponry
- Snow & Nealley Hatchet and Axe for woodwork

Snow & Nealley have been making lifetime guaranteed Axes in Maine since the Civil War. I believe they have recently shifted their production overseas. If you can get ahold of any of their Maine made product you will not find a better axe. I have been looking at Gransfor Bruksfrom here on it for axes.

These are more expensive than the fiberglass specials at Home Depot, but when you need a good axe, you will wish you spent the money.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join