It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best hunting/survival knife?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sideband

Agreed.

I have several too, and the kids have one each. Excellent knives for the price. The kids have found them great for learning the basics of handling a knife for bushcraft and the likes, they take some beating thats for sure.

CX.

CX

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I've taken a couple of pics for anyone wanting to see this thing a little more close up....excuse the paracord round the sheath.....can never have enough paracord.

First, BK2 2nd Gen size comparison with a Ka Bar...

Next, i modified the grip by adding a section of bicyle inner tube ( size 12.5 x 1.75 x 2.25), i got the idea from a guy on Youtube, it makes for an excellent grip without adding to the thickness too much. That said, it's a little hard to get the handle retaining strap closed once this grip is on. The snap closure of the Kydex sheath is unbelievably strong though, you can shake it hard and it won't come out...

Rear end view, just for kicks...

Knife and Kydex sheath. I love this sheath, very durable and houses the blade nicely. You can see the screws which allows you to turn the belt loop upside down if you wish for strapping on webbing or packs...

The rear...

Pommel end....this thing is just the end of the full tang blade, but due to the thickness it is absoloutely solid...great for a range of bashing/smashing.breaking tasks...

Blade thickness comparision...BK2 on the left, KaBar on the right. The pics don't do the BK2 thickness justice, it really is a tank of a knife, or as they call it, a sharpened pry bar...

Sheathed size comparison between the BK2 and the KaBar....the reason i've used it against the KaBar is because many people have these already so will know what i'm on about...

So there you go, a few close up pics of the BK2 2nd Gen. Thanks to everyone that advised on this knife, i love it already, and look forward to getting many years of use out of it.

CX.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Gotta shove off here but wanted to take time to post about this BK2 knife.

After reading this thread I ordered one and it came a couple of days ago. Wow!! this is a common sense piece of steel.

The first thing I liked about it is that it is a short carbon steel blade. It is not stainless steel. I prefer carbon steel blades when I can get them. It is also heavy. This knife is heavy enough to function as a close up axe. However I do not like using a knife in this capacity and have camp axes in my vehicles as part of my BOB set up.

After removing the knife from the package I noticed it had a pretty fair edge on it. However, I took my diamond hone and sharpened it using both sides of the hone..coarse and then to fine.

I will be attaching a length of para cord to the sheath for optional uses should the need arise.

I have two of the traditional Marine K bar type knives and like them well but this is a definite improvement.

Glad I read this article. I can appreciate ruggedness and no frills..but functionalilty. I am all for these traits. Bling and flash do not impress me in any tool. Ruggedness, Functionality, Reliability and Dependability first and always.

My thanks to whoever it was who first posted about the B2K knife. I salute you.

Orangetom
edit on 28-10-2010 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Personally, I dont think you can do better than a Windlass Steelcrafts Kukri. Can be used for anything including wood chopping, hold a great edge, are a fantastic defense weapon....they are the truest survival blade I know.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Best move Ka Bar has made was saving Becker Knife and tool. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I am partial to my ESEE RC-4 formerly Rat Cutlery. But I recently purchased a Becker Necker for 30 bones at my local gun show and love everything about it.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
When it's time to go...
On my B.O.B., a $19.00 (that included shipping 3 years ago) Cold Steel Kukri. This blade has cut more brush and light timber than I can even measure, yet can still shave the hair on my arms... Best money ever spent.
On my belt, the BK2 Campanion. Just a great knife.
And somewhere else on my body, boot or perhaps around my neck is the Becker Necker Original...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I have a Cold Steel SKS on my tac vest and a T.O.P.S. on my B.O.B.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing

Living in the UK I have problems you guys in the free world dont have. My knife of choice is a swedish army Mora knife-weighs next to nothing, cheap to buy, sharpens to a razor edge but strong enough to split a 6 inch log. I know its not the best in the world-it isnt even the best I own, but its light enough to carry everywhere, and I think a knife you have with you is better than the one you left at home.

edit on 25-1-2013 by lawman27 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I like this sert:
www.gerbergear.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
im gonna post ebay pages because they are all at least 40% cheaper then off the main brand's site. (new, unopened, free shipping)

i like sog and cold steel blades.

my rambo style fixed blade is the "sog agency". a pretty piece as a collectable, but it is a durable as hell, full tang, aus-8 carbon steel.
its my main camp knife for getting gritty with the usual needs. it can be sharpened well and holds it's edge for a long while.
www.ebay.com...

my chopping/clearing blade is the cold steel gurkha kukri.
www.ebay.com...
this is one of the most amazing blades and tools i have ever owned. it is very powerful as a chopper. even better then a light hatchet. and if you decide to give it a razer edge, it can can be a brutal weapon. like limb swiping if needed.(the british called for war crimes on the gurkha for using them)

my day-to-day, around the house, and around the town, pocket knife; is a cold steel folding knife, the "rajah III"
www.ebay.com...
i guess technically any folding pocket knife is as good as any other. they arent supposed to be as reliable and life long a tool as a normal one. however for people who are in locations with knife inch limits, or just dont always need a heavy tool blade; i think everyone should have a pocket folding knife as well.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Ive worked professionally for 30 years with knives so here are my recommendations if you dont want to spend the money on custom knoves and tools

Blackjack Halo why? Made of tool steel and will not fail you and will sharpen past the point most are capable of
Estwing Ax why? Tool steel same as above
Gerber Parabellum only folding knife which hasnt failed me. Discontinued so look on ebay. Mine is 25 years old and I still use it to split wood. Folding knifes are notoriously weak compared to fixedblade but this is as close as it gets.
If you just want something toi clean fingernails and cut line with an occasional emergency fire get the old Buck knife. If it wasnt good it wouldnt still be around

I have 127 knifes in my collection of "tried and failed" these are the ones which stood up.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I own a Gerber LMF-2 in coyote and love how tuff it is the sheath is a little big and bulky but it is a good cheap all around knife.

I also own a Chris Reeves Green Beret and it is a great knife but very expensive. I also love all my Benchmade knives I have a Grip and a Adamas.

Good knives are expensive save up and buy a knife that will last a lifetime and never buy anything made in the crap pit that is China. If you buy a knife made in China it will be crap.
edit on 15-3-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Personally I really like my SRK knife, from Cold Steel. Stands for (Survival Rescue Knife)
The Cold Steel SRK Survival Rescue Knife
Survival/Rescue operations demand a versatile knife able to withstand the most extreme abuse. The Cold Steel SRK (Survival Rescue Knife), standard issue of the United States Navy Seals , was designed specifically with this in mind. The blade is finished with a rich Teflon® coat which helps to protect the AUS 8A Stainless steel from the elements. The Cold Steel SRK Survival Rescue Knife features a tremendously strong clip point that’s fine enough for delicate work, yet possesses enough belly for efficient cutting, slashing and skinning strokes as well. At 3/16 of an inch thick, the Cold Steel Survival Rescue Knife® offers the sturdiest possible point and edge configuration, without sacrificing sharpness. The Cold Steel SRK Survival Rescue Knife's handle sports a single quillion finger guard and a deeply checkered Kraton® grip.

Overall Length: 10 3/4"
Blade Length: 6"
Blade Thickness: 3/16"
Blade Material: Japanese AUS 8A Stainless Steel with Black Teflon Finish Sharp
Handle Length: 4 3/4" - Kraton
Knife Weight: 8.2 oz.
Sheath: Secure-Ex Sheath
Fully Functional and Battle Ready

$119.99 each Sale $84.99

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I really love the Fallkniven A1 Survival Knife Black Blade with Zytel Sheath.
I also made a more detailed comparison here

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join