It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalist : Major power grid destruction!!!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
What if your fridge goes down. - I have a small Honda gen. that will run the fridge and freezer for 30 days.

More impotently what about water. I have a well with a manual pump.

Communications: I couldn't communicate with family & friends but all are within 5 miles of me and they know where to meet up if the SHTF.

Cars If you have a full tank will last you a bit but ware will you go?
I won't need to go anywhere. What fuel I have in the tanks will supplement the 70 gallons I have stored.

A lot of people say oh I'll hunt to feed my family. What happens when you run out of Ammo?

I have over 10,000 rounds so it will be awhile before I run out. I have 2 bows and 10 dozen arrows. Yeah you lose one now & then but not as much as you think. Taking a deer or Elk don't mean that arrow is useless, I have reused many arrows after retrieving them from animals. Some are destroyed though.

My home has a well with good water, a very large garden area and we have some livestock so I would'nt have to leave here except to hunt or scavenge.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
My biggest fear if the power grid goes is the meltdown of all those nuke plants. It will be a silent killer. You won't even be able to trust the food you grow or the water you drink.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
All of what the OP said is true and I'm sure it would be more awful than we can even imagine at this point. I would bet there are ten times the problems than anyone has even considered,

But you still see people freaking out right now about frickin smart meters. A few have said they would rather not have electricity than a smart meter. Some people are so short sighted.

I'm not trying to rally for smart meters, I'm trying to point out the way people speak without thinking yet take our modern way of life for granted.

I think the same can be said for the day we run out of oil.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSprepared
My biggest fear if the power grid goes is the meltdown of all those nuke plants. It will be a silent killer. You won't even be able to trust the food you grow or the water you drink.

Greetings:

Congrats, S&F to the OP!

We have read and starred the appropriate posts on this important thread and agree with your above speculation.

We have been attempting to raise the awareness level since joining in February, and here are a few of the offerings:

America's Being Nuked - Can we Together Stop the Madness?

Will America's Nuclear Power Plants Fail in an 8.0 Earthquake?

Is This the Beginning of the End of Nuclear Power in the U.S.?

Thank you for your time and consideration and we look forward to further communication.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I went small. flexible folding solar panel with 300ma USB output. (the kind with direct output, no passthrough batt)I have a full set of usb adapters to fire off most any device made. Cell phones you name it. Covers everything except batts. For that I have a panasonic USB battery charger for AA and AAA batts. I chose eneloops because they will take 1500 charges each. Whole thing weighs 3.1 pounds with plenty of extra batts.

The rest I can do without.
edit on 19-7-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Thank you Shadowalker for your post. I have been looking at small solar panels to purchase and start experimenting with to see how effective they are. I want to start small but get one that could power a small heater for 8 hours. the heater is 1200w (I think) but it would keep a room warm. I can't afford a huge system but I think getting a small solar panel or two would help with heating due to our reliance on electricity to power our furnace.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Oh no this is much smaller. cell phones and that size of devices. You dont want to power a heater from solar or you need a battery bank and an inverter.

I have a really good ambulance inverter. Will probably build 12 volt sooner or later.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by KSprepared

Reverse osmosis water filtration takes radiation out of the water (problem solved)

Also soil would have to be protected and people might want to also stock up on clean soil. Greenhouses to protect them from radioactive rain.

There are too many nuclear sites in USA to be safe from the radiation if they melt down so my advice is to travel south beyond the equator to southern hemisphere. There are no nuclear power plants there, (that I'm aware of) because the major populations may need the huge amounts of power, they don't need it down south.

Seems the only way to survive the coming changes is to go OFF the Grid.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

Crud, even though you have not visited in a long time, you were pretty much before your time and spot on with your projections for the future. A good discussion which was just too far out in the future for others I guess.

Respectfully bumping

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
My biggest problem was getting the wife onboard. With all the recent events (storms and what not) and experiencing our own little power outage (3 days) she has come around completely.

Now we buy a little extra every shopping trip and the pantry is expanding. We add water to our supply every week. We are way behind where i would like us to be, at least we are doing something..

I think that as we stand now a 3 day scenario is very much not a problem for us. Now to get that to a week.

Thanks for the great thread.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I was watching a video the other day,it was about the major changes on earth the more violet storms,animal die offs and other things,so i told my daughter that i think it is time we started to prepare,Water, can foods,some extra types of lights,sleeping bags and thinking how to survive if something does come.Any other suggestions for what i might need?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join