It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who were the other Messiahs?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
National Geographic has a documentary on at the moment called "Secret Bible".

The info on the programme simply says, "Rivals of Jesus - There was more than one Messiah and just like Jesus the others were said to heal the sick and raise the dead and were called the sons of God, so why were they forgotten?"

I'd never heard of this. Is this an old and well known theory or something that has been kept quiet?

If this is true, why have people been worshiping Jesus and not the "others", and who is to say people have'nt been worshiping the wrong guy?

Thanks,

CX.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I think I saw this show...there were others around that time that claimed to be messiahs or their followers claimed that, but they were mainly militant people who wanted to lead armed rebellion against the Romans as I remember.

CX

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Ah i see, thanks for that

It's been hard enough for me to believe that someone had a baby as a virgin let alone the rest of the alleged story.

Then for other Messiahs to be thrown into the picture!

CX.

[edit on 19/11/06 by CX]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
That is the million dollar question isn't it. Why would someone not tell the truth about Jesus. Surely if they lied and twisted the truth God would not allow that now would he? It was written by his profits, directly from heaven. Notice how I spelled profit.

I am understanding your thinking, just wanted to put my opinion out there. I must say I am not judging anyones beliefs, just sharing mine. Contradiction is not truth. Keep on questioning!

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
National Geographic has a documentary on at the moment called "Secret Bible".

The info on the programme simply says, "Rivals of Jesus - There was more than one Messiah and just like Jesus the others were said to heal the sick and raise the dead and were called the sons of God, so why were they forgotten?"

none of those others had a class act promotor like 'Paul'

the former Saul of Tarsus whose former personna & reputation
gave an icredulous air to the Jesus story of changing souls/lives
(of both themselves, and others around the Jesus ministry)

follow-up reading: middle-eastern top ten
Satan, Jehovah, Beelzebub, Baal, Astarte, Jesus, Yahweh, Ahura-Mazda, God, Allah

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Advisory: Please check the motivations of the History Channel and National Geographic.

National Geographic did not stumble upon some great discovery, rather the idea of other messiahs/false prophets is as old as the Bible itself. There are many, but here is one who seemed to "get elevated" until properly challenged:

"Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, "This man is the divine power known as the Great Power." They followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his magic. But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw." - Acts 8:9-13

There were expectations throughout the Old Testament that the Messiah was coming. Some were watchful, others doubt (and still do) that it would ever happen:

"The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, "We have found the Messiah (that is, the Christ)." - John 1:14

They had been expecting and searching for him.

The woman said, "I know that Messiah" (called Christ) "is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us." - John 4:25

Even the priests knew it was coming...

"When he had called together all the people's chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Christ was to be born. "In Bethlehem in Judea," they replied, "for this is what the prophet has written:
" 'But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for out of you will come a ruler
who will be the shepherd of my people Israel.'" - Matthew 2:4-6

And finally identified:

"Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." - Matthew 16:16

But Christ was not who many expected. One faction expected a military leader, another an earthly king, yet another a hermit who taught isolation to commune with God. Not being any of these, it took a bit of convincing. First through miracles, then through parables, and finally by raising from the dead. Yet...many still cannot believe...

[edit on 20-11-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I woule say that there have been people with a messiah complex from the beginning of time. There is always someone claiming to "be the one."

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hi--

Just for a point of reference. "The Sons of God" was a sub-title, (aka), belonging to the School of the Prophets and it's Teachers and students. If you remember the Parables, Jesus chastized his followers for beating a man who was doing healing, but not in Jesus' Name. This person was also calling himself "a Son of God" and he was, as he was also of the School of the Prophets. Jesus told his following to "forbid him not, for he that Loveth, knoweth God and is of God".

Many, many, healers used the term, and rightfully so, in Jesus' day. But, understand that this is not to be confused as a reference to messiahnic intentions.

St. Udio--

You left out "Mithra"--or, at least, your source did. the Mithraics were the biggest competition for the Christian Church in the first 2 centuries, CE. Mithra lived about 160 years BCE, and like Jesus, called himself the Don of Man, and promised to return. There was a (valid) argument among men of the time as to whether Jesus was the second coming of Mithra, or something "new".

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It's quite possible that Christ made many visits to this planet... and there is evidence to support it:

Maurice Cotterell, a frequent Coast to Coast guest, used something called the stone of Palenque to decode 10 secret Mayan pictures related to Lord Pacal, a Mayan priest-king. After decoding these pictures, he found that not only was Pacal born via immaculate conception but he also died on a cross made of two pieces of wood. Even more interesting, when Pacal died he supposedly became the twin-star(planet) which would be Venus. This is the information he got from the decoded pictures. What are the odds? Who's to say that Lord Pacal was not another incarnation of the Christ-consciousness?

There's lots more info on his site... Very interesting stuff.

www.mauricecotterell.com...

[edit on 20-11-2006 by firebat]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
It's quite possible that Christ made many visits to this planet... and there is evidence to support it:

Maurice Cotterell, a frequent Coast to Coast guest, used something called the stone of Palenque to decode 10 secret Mayan pictures related to Lord Pacal, a Mayan priest-king. After decoding these pictures, he found that not only was Pacal born via immaculate conception but he also died on a cross made of two pieces of wood. Even more interesting, when Pacal died he supposedly became the twin-star(planet) which would be Venus. Who's to say that Lord Pacal was not another incarnation of the Christ-consciousness?

There's more info on Cotterell's site.

www.mauricecotterell.com...

Very little information unless you give them lots of these:

If anyone wants the truth of Christ, I'll send you my book. Free. I'll even pay for the shipping to get it there.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
Very little information unless you give them lots of these:

Like anyone else, he has to make a living...

If you have not heard his Coast-to-Coast interviews or read any of his material, (which you obviously haven't) than I would not make any conclusions, if I were you.

Are you telling me you've never purchased a book to learn something new?

EDIT: Oh, I forgot... you already know the "truth." In that case, that post was directed at anyone who still has not learned everything there is to know.... omniscients need not bother their righteous little minds with it. You just keep your ignorant faces stuck in your bibles.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Like anyone else, he has to make a living...

If it were the truth about God and eternity, he wouldn't be concerned with trivial matters such as making money off of it.

If you have not heard his Coast-to-Coast interviews or read any of his material, (which you obviously haven't) than I would not make any conclusions, if I were you.

I can't make any conclusions because I cannot access the material. You've posted a bookshop.

Are you telling me you've never purchased a book to learn something new?

As I said, I'll send anyone the Book free because it is the truth about God and eternity, and surpasses trivial matters such as money.

omniscients need not bother their righteous little minds with it. You just keep your ignorant faces stuck in your bibles.

I am not omniscient, righteous, little minded, nor "learned everything there is to know.... ". If I were ignorant, I could not represent. I will take "faces stuck in your bibles" as a compliment. I only wish I had the time to be considered a scholar of such.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

As I said, I'll send anyone the Book free because it is the truth about God and eternity, and surpasses trivial matters such as money.

Interesting... is that why the Bible has sold more copies than any other book in history? Think about that... the Holy Bible has made more money, by FAR, than any other piece of literature that has ever been written.

And you say it surpasses trivial matters such as money?!

Anyways, please stay on topic... you have not provided any substance to the discussion in scrutinizing my posts and sources because they are not the Bible. Honestly... leave it be. I have no problem with you sticking your little advertisement in every thread even remotely related to the Bible and God etc. but PLEASE.... not everyone is interested in your peddling.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Interesting... is that why the Bible has sold copies than any other book in history?

How much money has the author made?

Think about that... the Holy Bible has made more money than any other piece of literature that has ever been written.

Made WHO money?

And you say it surpasses trivial matters such as money?!

Indeed, I'll say it again. I'll send you my Book for free and pay for shipping.

Anyways, please stay on topic...

Following your lead.

you have not provided any substance to the discussion

Says you. Had you read my first post here?

in scrutinizing my posts and sources because they are not the Bible.

I've expressed that I cannot see the information you're talking about because I have to pay a few hundred pounds to get these "secrets"

Honestly... leave it be. I have no problem with you stick your little advertisement in every thread even remotely related to the Bible and God etc. but PLEASE.... not everyone is interested in your peddling.

What am I selling? We can see what you're selling. That webite has lots of "hidden knowledge" to buy. Who is the peddler?

Anyways....

Yes. Anyways...

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Additionally...

There are other connections between the Biblical Christ and other Christ-figures from around the world. Hinduism's Krishna and Christ share many similarities.... they were both born from miracles. Both of their births were foretold. Christ was depicted a shepherd and Krishna a cow-herder. The word Krishna in Greek is "Christos."

Jesus was clearly not the only Christ to walk the Earth.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Some excerpts from the free Book I mentioned:

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

"Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."

"This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him."

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

It seems Christ disagrees with you.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Some excerpts from the free Book I mentioned:

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

"Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."

"This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him."

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Would you care to provide any of your own original thought with that? Any analysis of what those quotes actually mean? I'd like to know how they relate to the topic of there being multiple Messiahs. That is not an independent source that can objectively verify your claim.

I have provided corroboration of the topic OP's original theory by pointing out the clear similarities between Jesus Christ and two other divine figures in the world, which were supposedly isolated from the Biblical middle-east by both geography and time.

What have you provided?

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Would you care to provide any of your own original thought with that? Any analysis of what those quotes actually mean? I'd like to know how they relate to the topic of there being multiple Messiahs.

Sure thing (though is not as candid and accurate as the verses). The Messiah is the Christ. They are one and the same. Not only was Jesus the Messiah, but he was also the Christ and per the quoted scripture, the one and only son of God. This is significant to your claim that there were many "christs". Christ says he is the one and only (John 3:16) and therefore there could not be "many christs". Now that we've established there's only one, we can cross-reference the first quoted passage to see that the book of John opens that He is indeed that Christ whom came from God.

That is not an independent source that can objectively verify your claim.

They are available, but are less accurate. Tacitus and Josephus also support as well as others. Bearing in mind also that the Bible is a collection of independent sources at that time, not a single book.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
But we have NOT established that Jesus Christ was THE only Christ... we have only your biased source to make that claim.

How do you counter the argument that these two historical figures both resembled Jesus Christ in extraordinary ways? Besides, the fact that the Bible says Christ was the only one, do you have any other sources to back that up? Any independent verification? Because it's not enough for me. If you have nothing else... then this discussion, as far as you and I are concerned, is over.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

omniscients need not bother their righteous little minds with it. You just keep your ignorant faces stuck in your bibles.

That wasn't nice.

Question for all here .... A while back my husband and I heard reference to some books that were around BEFORE the bible. They had the creation story and the Noah story, and the Jews/Christians referenced those stories for their own books FROM these prior books.

Does anyone know about those?

edited for spelling

[edit on 11/20/2006 by FlyersFan]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join