It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is there suppose to be a planet out or an i seeing things again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
cause theres a pretty big light in the sky an it seems to be flashing.
its not a tower cause its not flashing in a sequence, it more of a flicker actually but real bright

its not a aircraft cause its not moving at all

maybe its just a star an i havnt taken the time to look in the sky lately

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
where are you located and what direction do you see this light???

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Isn't there supposed to be some sort of meteor shower this weekend? I've heard that this happens around november every few years or so, so that may just be what you're witnessing. I don't really know much about that subject though, and I don't know how long they'd stay up in the sky, so maybe someone else has a bette idea of what it may be.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Leonids are visible in the New England ssky this weekend.

You will usually see Venus in the sky, Mars, maybe Mercury..I always look for venus its usually the brightest. I dunno what how big you are talking about though. Do you mean Moon size or Star size point of light?

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
PieMan,

where are you looking to see the Leonids, or are you? I am in the Soutwest and am looking East, is that right??

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Has far i know (I do have some astronomy knowledge)
Stars Flicks, Planets dont flick!

Are you seeing this to the South West Sky?

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
well im in georgia, i know about the meteor shower an meteors dont stand still from what i know

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mondogiwa
PieMan,

where are you looking to see the Leonids, or are you? I am in the Soutwest and am looking East, is that right??

Im in NY and it was really cloudy tonight so I didn't even bother

Heres some info!

Where to see it

Those regions of the Earth that are in prime position to see another potential Leonid outburst are western Africa and western and central Europe, where the constellation Leo will ride high in the southeast sky as the peak of the shower arrives. Morning twilight will begin shortly thereafter.

In North America, for the Maritime Provinces of Canada, New England, eastern New York and Bermuda, the Sickle of Leo (from where the Leonids appear to emanate) will be above the east-northeast horizon just as the shower is due to reach its peak.

But because Leo will be at a much lower altitude compared to Europe, meteor rates correspondingly may be much lower as well.

However, this very special circumstance could lead to the appearance of a few long-trailed Earth-grazing meteors, due to meteoroids that skim along a path nearly parallel to Earth's surface.

Seeing even just one of these meteors tracing a long, majestic path across the sky could make a chilly night under the stars worthwhile.

Unfortunately, for the central and western United States and Canada, the Leonid outburst will likely have passed before Leo rises; at best, nothing more than the usual 10 or so Leonids per hour will likely be seen.

Keep in mind that for New England and U.S. East Coast, the peak is due locally on the previous calendar day, Saturday, Nov. 18, at 11:45 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

For the Canadian Maritimes and Bermuda, the corresponding time is 12:45 a.m. on Sunday, the 19th. For Newfoundland it is also on the 19th, but at 1:15 a.m

Source

Dalair the Leonid radiant will appear as a dot of light near the planet Venus.

When you see a streak, mentally run it backwards across the sky. Do the same with the second and third and note where their paths cross.

Right there will be the Sickle of Leo (with the bright planet Saturn also shining in that same general vicinity), and that's where the Leonid radiant will be.

new topics

join