It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada withdraws from Kyoto Protocol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I have to say I hadn't heard anything about this until searching Yahoo news for data on various nations climate change policies. It seems you Canucks have had a difficult time meeting your target of a 6% cut in carbon emissions from 1990 levels. Canada's emissions have actually increased nearly 25%. So the Canadian government is apparently considering leaving the agreement.

Link

I know Canadians pride themselves on their nations well regarded standing in the international community. So I'm wondering what do our Canadians members here on ATS have to say about this issue. Does Canada have any other options but to leave the agreement? And if Canada should choose to stay what price would Canadians be willing to pay to reach their nations target?

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I'm not really sure how to take this at the moment. I'm not an expert on the Kyoto Protocol to say the least, but I normally have an opinion on things so I'll fire away.

Here's my biggest problem: (From the Article Linked Above)

There was also some controversy over a decision to allow Belarus to take on targets under Kyoto that would allow it to profit from emissions trading. If ratified by member countries, environmentalists warned it could add ``hot air'' to the system since Belarus saw a substantial drop in its greenhouse gases following the collapse of the Soviet Union and its economy.

The environmentalists predicted it would put Belarus in the same boat as Russia, allowing it to increase emissions and sell millions of tonnes in ``hot air'' credits at the same time.

Seems like each country has different goals. Canada is punished for not meeting its goals, while other countries are enforced lighter restrictions and not punished for meeting the goals. Hell they are offered more incentives when are not meeting their goals. That is my take on it anyways.

Also, its tough to point fingers at our country. The United States failed to take part in the protocol in the first place, maybe this is a step for our country to indicate we can make our own decisions. Maybe we'll try to shed that Little Brother image.

Originally posted by danwild6
Canada's emissions have actually increased nearly 25%.

I've read the article twice, and can not find this anywhere. Can you provide a link to indicate these figures?

Does Canada have any other options but to leave the agreement? And if Canada should choose to stay what price would Canadians be willing to pay to reach their nations target?

Well your title has blatantly told us that they have already left the agreement. Have they or haven't they? I'm under the impression that a decision is left to be made.

I feel remaining in the protocol is a positive, because it has good intentions. But the same standards need to be enforced on all countries. We should expect the same drop in percentage of emissions from all countries. If they leave the protocol, then I would expect our government to legislate their own program to govern these emissions.

Either way, I believe our government will keep a close eye on it.

Whats with my optismism today?

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Seems like each country has different goals. Canada is punished for not meeting its goals, while other countries are enforced lighter restrictions and not punished for meeting the goals. Hell they are offered more incentives when are not meeting their goals. That is my take on it anyways.

Yeah it seems that enforcementy of the treaty definately seems to favor some over others

I've read the article twice, and can not find this anywhere. Can you provide a link to indicate these figures?

Link

But the Conservative government has blamed the previous Liberal government for allowing the emissions that contribute to global warming to rise by nearly 27 per cent, instead of moving closer to Canada's Kyoto target of reducing emissions by six per cent below 1990 levels.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Thanks for the link. Going to have a look through it now.

I feel your title misrepresents the thread itself. My perception of the article, it says Canada is contemplating the decision. Meaning, no decision has been made yet.

I would recommend an edit if the window is still open.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Sorry chissler but the edit window has closed. But I'll be more careful in the future(didn't realize how touchy Canucks were
).

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Sorry chissler but the edit window has closed. But I'll be more careful in the future(didn't realize how touchy Canucks were
).

It's not a matter of being touchy, or Canadian. The title itself is false, and misleading. However, by now means necessary am I insinuating that it was a deliberate attempt at anything. I'm sure it was an honest mistake that you would of never been aware of if I hadn't stuck my big mouth in. Please, take no offence to my post.

And yes, we canucks can be touchy at times. Another stereotype for us to overcome.

[edit on 19-11-2006 by chissler]

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

It's not a matter of being touchy, or Canadian. The title itself is false, and misleading. However, by now means necessary am I insinuating that it was a deliberate attempt at anything. I'm sure it was an honest mistake that you would of never been aware of if I hadn't stuck my big mouth in. Please, take no offence to my post.

No offense taken friend
But I'll be more careful in the future

And yes, we canucks can be touchy at times. Another stereotype for us to overcome.

Its okay your also a good natured people which is one of the many reasons I like Canada and Canadians so much.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
INCORRECT

Canada has yet to bail on the kyoto accord although I suspect this could happen anytime in the near future. Canada is starting to feel the pressure of its previous commitments. While Canada has made a legetimate attempt at the Kyoto accord (unlike the US), it is unable to achieve unrealistic numbers while competing with the US in Trade. Alberta is even threatening separation because the regulations put them @ such a disadvantage. So no, Canada has not left the Kyoto accord, yet.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The title might not be perfect at the moment, but give us another 6-7 months. We might make it happen.

My disjointed ramblings for your entertainment value:

Our new government is not very pro-Kyoto, but their stance is gettting them hammered. It appears that Canadians care more about the environment than the government thought. Bad press is slowly changing the current government's mind.

After the debacle of the 'Clean Air Act', which should have been named the 'Dirtier Air Act', people are starting to notice that this government has no plan to address the issue. Luckily, they were saved by the NDP and have now sent the legislation to committee, where it can die a slow death and the Conservatives can blame the other parties in a 'we tried and they wouldn't let us' speech come election time.

If Canada won't agree to stop bottom trawling, why would we care about the environment? That's the next generation's problem.

Final thought: Rona Ambrose should not be using her time at the UN to make partisan speeches blaming the Liberal party for everything that goes wrong.

I'm not as optimistic as chissler.

top topics

join