It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Administration covers up truth about Global Warming

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
As everyone probably knows, Al Gore has been on a serious campaign to educate the masses on the problems being caused by global warming and the need to reduce greenhouse gases.

It appears Bush and company are doing just the opposite. They are trying to cover up the problem:

In January 2006 NASA's top climate expert, James Hansen, said the Bush administration had forbidden him to speak publicly about global warming and the need to reduce greenhouse gases.

source: "Bad President" by R.D. Rosen, Harry Prichett & Rob Battles

Forbid him? Talk about our government becoming fascist right before our eyes.

[In February 2006]...Dr. Donald Kennedy, editor-in-chief of "Science" magazine, reported that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration had ordered its scientists not to give interviews about a study linking ocean warming to increased hurricane intensity.

These acts of censorship sound like fascism to me. In 2004, a report from the Union of Concerned Scientists charged that President Bush promoted ideology over good science when appointing government panels investigating such things as: global warming, air pollution, public health and basic scientific research.

Why can't we trust our government to give us honest answers and facts?

This report against the Bush administration was endorsed by 8,000 American scientists, 49 Nobel Laureates and 63 winners of the National Medal of Science.

Who is James Hansen?

Jim hansen, now 58 years old, is a lanky six feet, with receding, light-brown hair. He occupies a relatively neat 15- by 20-foot office at the Goddard Institute for Space Studies, his desktop filled with orderly stacks of research papers. He still has the soft-spoken, aw-shucks manner of someone from small-town Iowa-a manner that seems somewhat at odds with the dire environmental forecast he has been making for more than a decade. In 1988 Hansen made the greenhouse effect world news when he told a Senate committee, "The greenhouse effect has been detected, and it is changing our climate now." In the uproar that followed, Hansen got tremendous, well, heat from industry, anti-enviro talk show hosts, and politicians, as well as from many fellow scientists. But not only was Hansen right then, he has been right so many times since that he has assumed a prophetic stature rare in history. Michael Oppenheimer, chief scientist for the Environmental Defense Fund and an author of a major United Nations report on climate change, says of Hansen's work, "His science is impeccable, and his prescience is unparalleled." In other words, Nostradamus, get lost.

source: www.audubonmagazine.org...

You have to love Bush and company...instead of doing something about global warming, they are denying it is even a problem...they want us to think everything is fine. These are our leaders, puppets to the real people that run the country: the mega-rich international banking cabals that own the FED. Why would they want to admit that global warming is a problem? They have interests in businesses making tons of money that are causing these problems.

Here is the truth:

Aside from the receding threat of nuclear war, no issue is more vital than the one occupying Jim Hansen and his Goddard group: climate change, popularly known as the greenhouse effect, with its potentially devastating impacts on nature and civilization. At the current rate of global warming, and as envisioned by climatologists, life on earth is hurtling toward conditions never before experienced.

By the year 2050-only as far in the future, after all, as 1950 is in the past-the global temperature could be 3 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than it is now. It has not been that hot for 200,000 years, a time well before modern humans evolved. By 2075 a 5-degree jump would make the planet its hottest in 4 million years, and by the end of the coming century the earth could be as hot as it was 65 million years ago, when the dinosaurs disappeared.

Welcome to Fascist America. Benito Mussolini would have been proud. He and George Bush surely would have been fast friends!!

[edit on 18-11-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
George Bush, in my own opinion, doesn't downplay global warming as a conspiracy move. He does it to pander to his Christian Conservative base. For some reason the right-wing Christian element in this country believe that scientific knowledge is a product of the devil and needs to be wiped out. Sounds alot like the time everyone thought that Earth was the center of the universe and the world was flat. Simple people are hard to disappoint. If it's bad news, they just deny, deny, deny.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

George Bush, in my own opinion, doesn't downplay global warming as a conspiracy move. He does it to pander to his Christian Conservative base. For some reason the right-wing Christian element in this country believe that scientific knowledge is a product of the devil and needs to be wiped out.

No offense, but I don't buy this. I understand the Christian Conservatives like to refute all the evidence of evolution for example.....but, Global Warming is something most of your Christian Conservatives don't even understand (no offense to anyone). I believe the denial of the problem has much more to do with Dubya and his kind being in the pockets of the people that really run this country and the world and are making lots of money (trillions) off of the industries that are causing the global warming.

It boils down to money. Follow the money. Saying Dubya is just trying to win over some simple-minded Christians is much too simple an answer!

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I must admit myself, it is a bit too simplistic. I've just gotten to the point where I just don't know anymore. I figure it's all one big conspiracy or nothing at all.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

The Bush Administration's Global Warming Policies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bush administration has grudgingly conceded that global warming poses a significant and costly threat to the United States, as scientists have acknowledged for some time. Yet this White House continues to reject action to reduce global warming pollution. It has refused to require cuts in heat-trapping carbon dioxide pollution, significantly raise fuel economy requirements, or hold companies accountable for improving their energy efficiency and using wind, solar and other renewable energy sources. As these analyses show, the Bush administration's tired calls for still more study and voluntary pollution cuts won't get the job done.

source: www.nrdc.org...

The good old Bush Administration.....taking care of their cronies that own these companies that are causing the pollution. And...everyone making lots of money. Each company lines Georgy's and his friend's pockets with however much money they strike a deal for.

Does anyone truly believe the US is still Democratic and or a Republic? Too much money in the hands of a few to ever see Democracy again....

Very seriously greedy people run this country. Their greed is psycopathic...

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
As everyone probably knows, Al Gore has been on a serious campaign to educate the masses on the problems being caused by global warming and the need to reduce greenhouse gases.

It appears Bush and company are doing just the opposite. They are trying to cover up the problem: ...

Ermmm... I hate to disagree but...

This a problem whose cause, status and future are debated daily by the media worldwide, the general concerns have been expressed by country leaders and local population over the entire world, if you say that they are 'downplaying' the extent of the problem, I would agree entirely , but to 'cover up'? How can do that now???

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   

This a problem whose cause, status and future are debated daily by the media worldwide, the general concerns have been expressed by country leaders and local population over the entire world, if you say that they are 'downplaying' the extent of the problem, I would agree entirely , but to 'cover up'? How can do that now???

How can they cover it up? By telling the world everything is okay and immediately more than half of America agrees because they want to believe. They want to live in denial. Or by telling America that more research is needed...etc. instead of taking care of the problem. There is no more research needed. And having companies VOLUNTEER to reduce their emissions?? I volunteer, I make less money. I don't volunteer, I keep making the same money. It's easy to do the math........

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmlima

Here's how they can do it...hire a bunch of talking heads with degrees and offer them scads of cash to go around the various countries giving speeches.

Here's another good thread on the subject.

The same scenario was played out about the addictive nature of tobacco a few decades ago.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
i'm not sure what your point is...

George Bush's election guaranteed us in the west four more years of living as we are accustomed to.
I didn't see anyone who opposed his election drawing their belts in and start digging their allotments. No they carried on flying, driving and leaving the AirCon on, safe in the knowledge that Nato troops were securing the supply.

Does Anyone on this thread really, in mean Really, realise what the climate change debate is about?

Its about population control.

What is the sustainable population of the earth.

OK ....I want hard figures... we are currently at about 6,500,000,000

What do you think the Earth can support and how do you propose to achieve this figure?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I posted a news story to ATSNN on this subject a while back, just to get this thread back on track.

White House Changes Reports to Cast Doubt on Climate Experts

I thought we were talking about efforts by this administration to control access to information about Global Warming/Climate Change.

I'm sure population control is a big part of their agenda, as well.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Or maybe he just has the same viewpoint as someone like me. Global warming evidence is skeptical, it can be argued for or against.

I personally believe that it is just one of Earth's climate phases. The Earth in the past, as it will in the future, will have periods of heating and warming. Nothing to be scared of or worry about. Unless it is a climate change like an ice age or something.

It might get a little serious, kinda like that Little Ice Age that hit Europe. But it will pass, and the world will go on.

No reason to listen to someone as radical on this issue as Al Gore.

SOSHOOTME

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
How can they cover it up? By telling the world everything is okay and immediately more than half of America agrees because they want to believe. ...

ermmmm... America is not the world, so even if half of America is agreing with them , that still goes a lonnnnngggg way of convincing the world, take Europe for instance, nobody believes one word of what he says, take Asia for example, virtually nobody cares about climate changes, Africa the same...
So whatever Bush says these days is usually more to the benefict of his won people than to the world. If he think the world really takes him seriously he is so wrong...

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Al Gore is a radical?
I never thought I would hear someone call Al Gore a radical. That's good stuff!

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by soshootme
Or maybe he just has the same viewpoint as someone like me. Global warming evidence is skeptical, it can be argued for or against.

I personally believe that it is just one of Earth's climate phases. The Earth in the past, as it will in the future, will have periods of heating and warming. Nothing to be scared of or worry about. Unless it is a climate change like an ice age or something.

It might get a little serious, kinda like that Little Ice Age that hit Europe. But it will pass, and the world will go on.

SOSHOOTME

I think this is the main point - they change the science reports to say that Global Warming isn't that serious. These aren't scientists doing the changing, they're politicians. Kind of like having a chef man the rocket to the moon. They go thru reports, change the science, and folks like you, Shoot Me, buy into it. And yes, the planet has gone thru many changes before. But virtually every scientist on the planet not only believes that Global Warming is happening, they also believe that humanity is the biggest cause of it, as well as agreeing that this is a serious threat. We are already seeing way too many changes on the planet to brush off this most serious threat.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   

personally believe that it is just one of Earth's climate phases. The Earth in the past, as it will in the future, will have periods of heating and warming. Nothing to be scared of or worry about. Unless it is a climate change like an ice age or something.

It's good that you personally believe this. What research have you done to personally believe this? Or have you just decided this is the truth because you, like many, are in denial of the truth and don't really want to know the truth? Some call these types of people "sheeple."

Even the EPA (surprisingly) admits that man has caused the global warming problem....not just another phase of the Earth. To say global warming has nothing to do with the pollution that has been spewed into the air since late in the 18th century with the onset of the Industrial Revolution is pretty naive!

The Earth's climate has changed many times during the planet's history, with events ranging from ice ages to long periods of warmth. Historically, natural factors such as volcanic eruptions, changes in the Earth's orbit, and the amount of energy released from the Sun have affected the Earth's climate. Beginning late in the 18th century, human activities associated with the Industrial Revolution have also changed the composition of the atmosphere and therefore likely are influencing the Earth's climate.

The EPA climate change Web site has four main sections on climate change issues and another section on "What You Can Do" to reduce your contribution.

source: www.epa.gov...

For over the past 200 years, the burning of fossil fuels, such as coal and oil, and deforestation have caused the concentrations of heat-trapping "greenhouse gases" to increase significantly in our atmosphere. These gases prevent heat from escaping to space, somewhat like the glass panels of a greenhouse.

Greenhouse gases are necessary to life as we know it, because they keep the planet's surface warmer than it otherwise would be. But, as the concentrations of these gases continue to increase in the atmosphere, the Earth's temperature is climbing above past levels. According to NOAA and NASA data, the Earth's average surface temperature has increased by about 1.2 to 1.4ºF since 1900. The warmest global average temperatures on record have all occurred within the past 15 years, with the warmest two years being 1998 and 2005. Most of the warming in recent decades is likely the result of human activities. Other aspects of the climate are also changing such as rainfall patterns, snow and ice cover, and sea level.

If greenhouse gases continue to increase, climate models predict that the average temperature at the Earth's surface could increase from 2.5 to 10.4ºF above 1990 levels by the end of this century. Scientists are certain that human activities are changing the composition of the atmosphere, and that increasing the concentration of greenhouse gases will change the planet's climate. But they are not sure by how much it will change, at what rate it will change, or what the exact effects will be. See the Science2 and Health and Environmental Effects3 sections of this site for more detail.

Pretty cut and dry. No discussion of the Earth's cycles.....just discussion of facts. It's just like cigarette smoking. You smoke long enough, you're going to have problems: cancer, emphyzema, etc.....You put crap into the atmosphere for long enough, it's going to cause problems and soon, catastrophic problems (if not already). For example, as mentioned earlier in this thread, scientists believe global warming has caused an increase in the amount and intensity of hurricances.

By the year 2100, the Earth's temperature could go up by as much as 10 degrees fahrenheit? Do you understand what amount of catastrophies this would cause worldwide?

This is no Earth cycle. This is the result of over 200 years of air pollution. Pollution that has gotten worse and worse in those years...never better! Pollution caused mostly by big corporations that have the government in their pockets and that's why they continue to get away with ruining this whole planet. This goes beyond money and power. This activity will lead to the end of the world as we know it. These people are that psycopathically greedy that they couldn't care less!

In the U.S., our energy-related activities account for three-quarters of our human-generated greenhouse gas emissions, mostly in the form of carbon dioxide emissions from burning fossil fuels. More than half the energy-related emissions come from large stationary sources such as power plants, while about a third comes from transportation. Industrial processes (such as the production of cement, steel, and aluminum), agriculture, forestry, other land use, and waste management are also important sources of greenhouse gas emissions in the United States.

For a better understanding of where greenhouse gas emissions come from, governments at the federal, state and local levels prepare emissions inventories, which track emissions from various parts of the economy such as transportation, electricity production, industry, agriculture, forestry, and other sectors. EPA publishes the official national inventory of US greenhouse gas emissions5, and the latest greenhouse gas inventory shows that in 2004 the U.S. emitted over 7 billon metric tons of greenhouse gases (a million metric tons of CO2 equivalents (MMTCO2e) is roughly equal to the annual GHG emissions of an average U.S. power plant.) Visit the Emissions6 section of this site to learn more.

Still no discussion of Earth cycles from the EPA...hmmmmm. I guess one has to live in denial to believe air pollution isn't causing global warming...just like smoking cigarettes isn't bad for your health!!

Climate change affects people, plants, and animals. Scientists are working to better understand future climate change and how the effects will vary by region and over time.

Scientists have observed that some changes are already occurring. Observed effects include sea level rise, shrinking glaciers, changes in the range and distribution of plants and animals, trees blooming earlier, lengthening of growing seasons, ice on rivers and lakes freezing later and breaking up earlier, and thawing of permafrost. Another key issue being studied is how societies and the Earth's environment will adapt to or cope with climate change.

In the United States, scientists believe that most areas will to continue to warm, although some will likely warm more than others. It remains very difficult to predict which parts of the country will become wetter or drier, but scientists generally expect increased precipitation and evaporation, and drier soil in the middle parts of the country. Northern regions such as Alaska are expected to experience the most warming. In fact, Alaska has been experiencing significant changes in climate in recent years that may be at least partly related to human caused global climate change.

Human health can be affected directly and indirectly by climate change in part through extreme periods of heat and cold, storms, and climate-sensitive diseases such as malaria, and smog episodes. For more information on these and other environmental effects, please visit the Health and Environmental Effects3 section of this site.

Sorry soshootme. It appears the EPA and an awful lot of scientists disagree with your simple notion that global warming is just another "phase." What are your credentials? Where and why did you come up with your theory? I would LOVE to see some sources to back your side of this argument!!

[edit on 30-11-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logic616
George Bush, in my own opinion, doesn't downplay global warming as a conspiracy move. He does it to pander to his Christian Conservative base. For some reason the right-wing Christian element in this country believe that scientific knowledge is a product of the devil and needs to be wiped out. Sounds alot like the time everyone thought that Earth was the center of the universe and the world was flat. Simple people are hard to disappoint. If it's bad news, they just deny, deny, deny.

+1000 well said amigo. it's bothersome to hear there would be action against the reporting of scientific news to the people of the world - or US in this case. sounds like bush would be a great candidate for the taliban/teacher issue...
-b

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
AL Gore is simply trying to force people to forget the money he made when he sold his family's share of Occidental.

No one is up in arms about global warming. Consider that weather satellites have been around for 50 years giving researchers the view needed to gage what is happening. Studying the dynamics is far more challenging. Try taking into account the forces of the sun and the moon, the pressure and heat of the earth's core and mantle, salination of the oceans, the wobble and rotation of the earth as it orbits the sun, plate tectonics, and when you integrate these factors into your study of global warming, man's presence alone is not enough to account for a remote significant change in the climate. However, albeit, humans are responsible for polluting rivers, lakes, drinking water, and soil and causing acid rain, but this is a far cry from changing the earth's climate.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Just a view here from a non-scientist, but I was taught in my limited education that the scientific method involved postulating a theory, devising an experiment with a control, observing differences and stating a conclusion that was subject to peer review and criticism. Proof is arrived at by this procedure.

What I see in the climate debate is a lot of angry, emotional rants directed at people, instead of "science", which seems to be a label that a lot of self-righteous political types are wrapping themselves in.

There is not a working computer model that explains the process of global warming successfully.

There is no related explanation of planetary changes being observed on Mars (melting icecaps) and Jupiter that can not be atributed to CO2 from people.

There are a lot of closed minds on the subject, which seems at odds with "Deny Ignorance".
I have to agree with Aramco.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

There is no related explanation of planetary changes being observed on Mars (melting icecaps) and Jupiter that can not be atributed to CO2 from people.

There are a lot of closed minds on the subject, which seems at odds with "Deny Ignorance".
I have to agree with Aramco.

1. What do Mars and Jupiter have to do with the global warming problem here on Earth?
2. Who or what is Aramco?

Thanks!!

[edit on 2-12-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
yeah i read all the stuff about global warming and, sure we have a lot to do with the current situation but what is the solution - - i mean the real solution...

all this rubbish about renewable fuels and nuclear energy

how much would YOU compromise YOUR lifestyle?

by how much do YOU think the world is overpopulated?

There is massive inequality in the world - such that anyone currently using a keyboard/internet connection cannot comprehend.

Do you think that a worldwide campaign against global warming will affect YOU and in what way?

Most of the campaigners talk big but they dont see the bigger picture...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join