It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent Protesters Attack Police at G20 Summit in Australia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Anti-globalization demonstrators have become violent in Melbourne, Australia during the G20 summit, a meeting of central bank and financial officers of the world's 20 top economies. The protesters hurled bottles, garbage dumpsters and barricades at police, causing some to retreat until backup arrived. The members attending the G20 summit are meeting to discuss reforms to foreign aid and the International Monetary Fund.

www.voanews.com
Anti-globalization protesters have clashed with Australian police during a gathering of the world's most powerful economic leaders in Melbourne. Police used batons to repel demonstrators, as finance ministers and central bank chiefs met to discuss a range of issues, including aid to the third world and climate change.

There have been clashes between about 200 demonstrators and police in Melbourne, as delegates to the Group of 20 conference met at a hotel nearby.

Thousands of protesters have been voicing opposition to a range of issues, including globalization, the war in Iraq and environmental damage.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems there are a group of professional protesters that go all over the world to violently attack such meetings. I really don't understand it, but it appears they are all leftists who reject globalization and world trade as a way to exploit poor countries, although such dependency theories have largely been disproven.

Related News Links:

The Age

Herald Sun Sunday

[edit on 18-11-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   

although such dependency theories have largely been disproven.

HAHAHAHA... yeah right. Sorry it's highly proven that the leaders in the world use the little for their own benefits, especially those bastards. Go protesters. The globalisation cut jobs in US, Canada, everywhere, it's bad for everyone except the rich at the bottom.

Globalisation will end the USA, Canada and Mexico with the North American Union. Sorry globalisation is a pain in the a**.

Thousands of protesters have been voicing opposition to a range of issues, including globalization, the war in Iraq and environmental damage.

And they don't protest only against globalisation...

[edit on 18-11-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
It's quite possible that these 'leftists' do not view globalization as the positive good it's potrayed to be. The third world certainly has not benefitted from globalization like they were told they would. Is a world economy that comsumes at the level of the USA viable? Perhaps you should read Confessions of an Economic Hitman to see just how the US and others steal resources as well as money from the third world. You could read Globaization and It's Discontents by Josehp Stiglitz, to see how inept the world bank and IMF have been in applying structurral adjustments that have caused starvation in the third world. David Korten will explain that globalization was never meant to be about helping others but rather about helping our selves to the world's raw materials, in When Corporations Rule the World. You might also take a look at the Doha round of meetings and see how Drug companies are refusing to sell drug to poor countries cheaply enough and that privitazation of health care has made it impossible for the poor to pay for. LOOK INTO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS and see how they take indigenous plants from countries alter them ever so slightly and sell them back to the people who originally owned them. The playing field is not even and US corporations and their political lackeys are profiting literally from the deaths of others.

Or go back to reading Thomas Freidman who hasn't got a clue about globalization or it's worldwide effects. But please don't think that globalization was ever or will ever be good for all. How's the US worker doing. You really need to look into the matter before you start calling people who are putting theirs lives on the line to protest Corporate inequities. Do you really think Enron cared about what was good for the world?

[edit on 18-11-2006 by polanksi]

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
They are a group of Anarchists who are just a bunch of recruited street youths and such. They are one step away from being deemed a terrorist group IMO. Bunch of Lunatics. Wonder who's organizing and paying for it all.... I have friends that go to these types of protests and they always point the finger to the Black Bloq as the ones responsible for violence in at least the Canadian ones(minus the Anti-Tory rallies where the cops got a little jumpy and started bashing skulls in for no reason, I was there and witnessed it...)

I'm not for the current globalization regime, but I am not with these losers. They believe that Violence is the only answer and that extremism is the only way to get things done. We've tried to get them blocked, though how to do such a thing is beyond me since they come in full riot gear. I can assure you that the Majority of those protesters deplore the tactics used by the Black Bloq and their allies. They need to be dealt with and dealt with quickly before they start with bombs and such.

[edit on 18-11-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Sorry, but at many protests where the Black Bloq was, I was there and polices were undercover there and tried to break things so that others polices jail them all... but it didn't work, the Black Bloq identified them and stop the police undercover. You know, it's called an agent provocateur.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
What kind of cops do they have in Australia. They arrest four for assault yet file no charges??? That makes no sense at all. :shk:

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
What kind of cops do they have in Australia. They arrest four for assault yet file no charges??? That makes no sense at all. :shk:

Guantanamo former employed cops?
HAHAHA. In our democracies... the western world... we don't get charged anymore... we go in jail, no charge, we get tortured.. forever. Go democracy!

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Excuse me, but globalization is the best thing that has happened for the human race as a whole . Nations have had their standards of living raised as a result of jobs arriving, lifting some of the poorest people from some of the worst conditions imaginable. Education and literacy are at a higher rate now than ever.

So what if an American (me included) can only drive one less car, or has to settle for 1000 sq feet less of living space. We can lose half of what we got now and still be better off than the majority of the world, but that half will make a HUGE difference to people who have never even imagined living with such luxuries.

Now obviously, there are some reforms that need to be made. Fiscal policies need to be revised, and thats what these meetings are mostly for. they don't sit aroudn that table saying "hmm, how can we # on these people even more"? They are discussing how they will make changes for the better.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
LOl, these protestors are just lazy bums, who want or the benefits of Western society but don't want to do the work. As for teh " rich " most of these people have made their own wealth through hard work and brains - unfortunately most of society doesn't have that disposition.
I remember when these same idiots were protesting about he Iraq War in Sydney. The reporters interviewed a whole bunch of them, most disn't know who Saddam Hussein was or where Iraq was - dumb as dog turd.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
And so far, we have only one informed poster, only one who has read Confessions of an Economic Hitman and Globalization and its Discontents. The supporters of globalization are utterly content to regurgitate the nonsense put out by the likes of Thomas Friedman. This is a fairytale. Globalization simply helps a small group of rich people get even richer.

If it were simply a question of evening out the labour market, it wouldn't be quite so bad. But have you not heard about "free-enterprise zones" where local labour laws simply do not apply? Corporations look for the sweetest deals around the world and strongarm weak governments into giving them enormous tax breaks and concessions, then employ locals at below subsistence rates. It's disgusting to see this kind of rapacious behaviour defended by people who should know better.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
If it were simply a question of evening out the labour market, it wouldn't be quite so bad. But have you not heard about "free-enterprise zones" where local labour laws simply do not apply? Corporations look for the sweetest deals around the world and strongarm weak governments into giving them enormous tax breaks and concessions, then employ locals at below subsistence rates. It's disgusting to see this kind of rapacious behaviour defended by people who should know better.

Hmm, well there are millions of people in CHina who wold disagree with your statement. How do I know, because I work here. You may like to belive what ou write, but such a blanket satement isn't true.
Tell me have you actually lived in any of these countries with " weak " governments, or are you just regurgitating what you read in books ?
I can tell you that many of these people being paid below subsustance level ( which is BS in most cases ) are far better off now than they were 10 years ago.

So please go out and experience working in one of these countries before you shoot your mouth off.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   

This is a fairytale. Globalization simply helps a small group of rich people get even richer.

Well, that sounds alot more like the resutls of Capitalism than globalization. The meaning of globalization has been slightly tainted, but overall it just connects the world and the human population across the globe to each other and each other's services and goods.

Technically globalization could have occured through any economic system, but Capitalism just happens to dominate the planet in this point of history. Thankfully, the nature of man will eventually figure out this is not the perfect system, and it will be largely abandoned. Thats a far way off from now, but take solace that it will happen.

In the meantime, more people are enjoying the benefits of globalization than ever before. We just MUST set education as a priority in this event. Irresponsible consumption leads to horrible pollution of the environment that has supported and sustained humanity and all life since the great birth.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
G-20 central bankers meet? They will be plotting for the installation of central banks in the last remaining hold out countries for one thing. These hold outs are threats to the entire world system (not that these greedy incompetents would collapse the world economy by themselves..), as they are not yet under the yoke of the NWO.

The war drums for Iran will start pounding any day now!

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
There were two groups of protesters.

There was a group that demonstrated peacefully and this posed no problem.

The other group was the one that caused the violence. It was reported in the media that the violent protesters had no particular cause in particular, just out to cause a problem and provoke the plice. This group made it bad for the peaceful protesters.

I will try and get a link from the media to back up my posts...back later

I do not like globalisation either...creates fatcats

In Peace Always
resi

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Two links from Australian media sources

www.news.com.au...

www.smh.com.au...

In Peace Always
resi

[edit on 19-11-2006 by resistancia]

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
quote]The war drums for Iran will start pounding any day now!
Yea thats pretty funny. Lets see someone has been saying that at least once a week for what, the past two years now?

globalization does not create fatcats. People create fatcats because they seem to love their products and/or services. the shift away from Capitalism will tear the world apart as we know it, but globalization will still be there. We will all still be connected, and work together to integrate and shift humankinds' focus away from materialism and irresponsible consumption.

I would not doubt if those violent protestors were paid to be there...

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Does that mean that globalisation will be great for poor countries ?

Yeah right....I can see all those poor Africans, South Americans and others from third world countries embracing all those McDonald's restaurants while they listen to the latest rap crap from the USA on their ipods while they take happy snaps of each other on their cell phones...NOT.

globalisation = what is mine is mine, what is your's is mine too.

In Peace Always
resi

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Of course globalization will be great for poorer countries, because it will bring information, education, and the opportunity to update the infrastructure.

whatever happens as far as economy goes, is the result of Capitalism.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Globalisation is American/Western Imperialism by another means / name.

It's bad for poorer countries, they're exploited by the corporations owned by the rich countries. They get the poorly-paid, dangerous jobs - we get the cheap goods/profits.

I don't hold with violent protest but years ago the anti-G8/IMF etc protestors were just an extreme minority now they're an extreme fringe of a view help by a much, much larger minority - ie they do have a point and many are waking up to just what globalisation/IMF etc actually means for those oppressed by it.

If you can 'find' a copy of this series I'd recommend you watch it to see the effects of Globalisation on South America, it's excellent TV but not pretty or comfortable viewing:

www.channel4.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
If the world is benefitting so greatly from globalization why has the life expectancy in Africa gone down? The tools of the globalist are privatization and market liberalization. Some Asian countries refused to go along with the World Bank reccomendations and were able to avoid the economic hardships of the countries that could not refuse the World Bank. If the globalists are so altruistic way do they insist that work contracted throught the IMF or World Bank must be done by an American company? Looking at a countries GDP is not enough to measure how a countries economy has distributed the increased wealth. Most often it is to a few elite families.

The purpose of the World Bank and IMF was never to help the world rather it was for the US to help themselves to the raw materials of the world. Read about the meeting in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire in 1944. Their goal was to assure US access to markets and resources aroun the world. NO where did they say we are helping the world, that came later as a justification. Globalization is neo colonialism if you support it, then you are surely taking up "The White Mans Burden"

The majority of people on earth today survive on less than $1.00 a day. That's globalization for you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join