It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Heroes and American Justice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
This article details a recent trial of some peace protestors who broke into a Minuteman launch site.

Fr. Carl Kabat, 73, a catholic priest from St. Louis with a life-long history of resistance to nuclear weapons was sentenced to 15 months in prison. Greg Boetje-Obed, 52, a former Navy officer living with his family in the Catholic Worker community in Duluth Minnesota was given a 12 month and one day prison sentence. Michael Walli, 58, also with the Loaves and Fishes Catholic Worker in Duluth received 8 months. All were ordered to pay $17,000 restitution.

See how old these guys are? Anyone think they got treated gently by the arresting officers? Judging by the threads I've seen lately, half the US posters on this board would like to see them tased repeatedly, at the very least. As authoritarianism increases its hold on the US psyche, the willingness to see peaceful citizens hurt and abused will no doubt increase.

But I think these men display real courage. They're at a time of life when most people want to retire and live a comfortable life. Instead of which they're putting themselves on the line for their beliefs.

The trial was notable for the exclusion of much testimony from the jury, ruled out of consideration by the trial judge. Expert witness testimony on matters of international law and the effect of these totally non-mythical weapons of mass destruction on a civilian populace was excluded.

In other countries, the situation is different, and, frankly, more civilised.

Recently, after learning that US jets were stopping at Shannon Airport to refuel on their way to bomb Iraq, the Pitstop Plowshares went onto the runway, poured their blood on it and started to take up the tarmac to prevent additional flights. After two mistrials, these peace protestors were acquitted on all counts earlier this year by an Irish jury who heard an expert on international law and other witnesses explain the illegality of the U.S. actions.

I also particularly like the riposte of the wife of one of the defendants, as given below:

The judge challenged Greg Boertje-Obed’s decision to take actions that risked a year in prison instead of staying home with his family. “Why would one leave a wife and daughter at home to engage in juvenile acts of vandalism to protest nuclear weapons? I would think your commitment to your family should far outweigh your calling to such actions.” Greg’s wife, Michelle Naar Obed, was in the courtroom during this exchange. After the sentencing was over, Michelle shook her head and said, “If Greg had left us his for a year and risked his life to go to war to kill people, no one would question him – they would call him a hero! But, because he risked time in jail to act out his convictions for peace, people question his commitment to his family. That is a tragic.”

Whether you agree or not with the position about nuclear weapons, what is not in dispute is the bravery of these three senior citizens, who face serious prison terms and fines for their actions.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Yes Rich its a sign of the times in the US, I have posted a thread in skunkworks re the attitudes of Americans to whats happening in their country and I have only had a few replies. Apathy and indiference seem to reign supreme in the US, I hope they all realise there will be a great price to pay for all this. These 3 citizens show all what is wrong with Americans, many more people of this mindset are required, these men are Hero's for Freedom, Liberty and Democracy.

new topics

join