It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top U.S. General says Islamic militancy could trigger World War III

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Friday, November 17, 2006; 10:44 PM

The top U.S. general in the Middle East said on Friday that if the world does not find a way to stem the rise of Islamic militancy, it will face a third world war.

Army Gen. John Abizaid compared the rise of militant ideologies, such as the force driving al Qaeda, to the rise of fascism in Europe in the 1920s and 1930s that set the stage for World War Two.

"If we don't have guts enough to confront this ideology today, we'll go through World War Three tomorrow," Abizaid said in a speech titled "The Long War," at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government in Cambridge, outside Boston.

If not stopped, Abizaid said extremists would be allowed to "gain an advantage, to gain a safe haven, to develop weapons of mass destruction, to develop a national place from which to operate. And I think that the dangers associated with that are just too great to comprehend."

WPost

General John Abizaid might be very right, the violence of and the support for Islamic radicalism has spread across the globe. Tensions between Muslims and the West have always existed, but in the period after 9/11 up till today the gap between Muslims and non-Muslims is widening. Personally, I think we're heading for another World War in contrast to some who say we're already in World War III.

We should bear in mind that hatred, anger and suffering of the German people were the factors that enabled Hitler to seize power and start World War II. If such a charismatic leader is able to gather support among Muslims, the possibility is realistic of war breaking out - on a global scale - between a Western coalition and a united Muslim coalition. In particular, if the economy collapses and oil exporting countries do not need us as customer anymore. Very interesting will be the positions of Russia and China.

[edit on 18-11-2006 by Mdv2]

Posting work written by others.

[edit on 18-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   
We have many news commentators in the US, like o'reilly and others, who believe it is already world war 3.

personally I fdont think we are quite there yet, but Im sure the history books will record world war 3 as begining with 9/11.

I do believe world war 3 is right around the corner.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
We are already in World War III. Or some say that the Cold War was World War III and this is World War IV.

I fully believe this is World War III already and that it's only just in the beginning stages. When President Hillary takes the Oval Office then the crap will really hit the fan.

[edit on 11/18/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It's a disease that spreading. You can't kill it by dealing with pockets of violent extremists. It needs to be taken on at at the root cause. Freedom of religion is not prevalent everywhere and I feel extremist beliefs are now banging at the door opposed to tapping on the window.

Holding Countries responsible for teaching extremism against the west that may incite eventual hostility is a root cause. Problem is it started awhile ago and may take a generation or two using a a concept that is acceptable to fundamentalist youth before it settles down.

Time is not on our side on this and Iran is the beginning.

Dallas

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I think he is not far of target.

Except, the problem isn't islam as such. The problem is religion. I think the next big conflict will be one of religious fanatics of several faiths versus secular science-based societies.

If you doubt this, look at what happens every time the UK government tries to put pressure on moderate islamic groups to condemn violent islamists. The bishops of the Church Of England come rushing to their side, telling the government to "back off".

As you all know; "my enemies enemy is my friend", and given the choice, many moderate "believers" will stand up and fight when reason and science threatens the very fundaments of religion.

It may start with fanatic islamists, but I fear it will spread.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
ridiculous

its the american imperialists who want WW3 and no one else

no world war in my city last time i checked, do any of you geniouses have bombs falling on your head? I didnt think so...

but i bet USSA military industrial complex would just love a big one and it looks like they have some support of their brainwashed population

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
A World War is a War that Spans atleast 2 continents and involves atleast 20 countrys with a common enemy. (so im lead to beleive)

We are pretty close to that definition, i agree with an Earlier post here that said the History books will show Sept 11 as the start of WW3.

I see WW3 as a foregone conclusion it may span several decades and embrace many themes,many more than just the War on Terror.

Put on your seatbelts its going to be a bumpy ride!!

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
its just business, they just named it world war 3 for commercial purposes

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by born_to_be_wired
ridiculous

Please stop your blame game. We're discussing the possibilities of another world war and not which party should be held responsible for starting it.

My personal opinion is that in the next world war two parties will be involved - as stated - a coalition of Islamic countries and one of Western countries. Hitler had the skill and power to indoctrinate his people with his sick train of thoughts. The example I've used might be a bad comparison, but I feel that such a charismatic leader could lead a Muslim coalition into war with the West, or the other way around (if the West would start a war).

The way Western powers treat Muslim countries and lack the willingness to intervene when they should (Israel-Lebanon, Israel-Palestine) could gradually lead to a level of hatred on which people are prepared to sacrifice for the Islamic cause. Currently, that's only a minority, but such a leader could change that pattern rapidly.

It happened in Nazi-Germany - the circumstances and reasons might be different - but why is it unthinkable that such a scenario might happen Middle-East, to stop the suffering and Western suppression?

[edit on 18-11-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Originally posted by born_to_be_wired
ridiculous

Please stop your blame game. We're discussing the possibilities of another world war and not which party should be held responsible for starting it.

ok sorry youre right

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
but the problem basically lies with the mendacity of the Arab portion of Islam.

They've been holy warriors for a long time... Despite all of their protestations to the contrary...

Nothing has changed.

It's not likes its the first time they've tried to overrun Europe... It's just now they have a bigger vision.

Anyone see the dangers of a geography lesson to such meglomaniac fanatics?

The part that is totally amusing is how they always try to minimize, redirect (Read: just flat out lie
) about what is really happening, what their intentions are, what their idiotic stone age 'religion' (Read: Cult of Death
) is striving to accomplish.

They just flat out say it... THEY WANT TO CONTROL THE ENTIRE PLANET! At least among themselves.

As is demonstrated by this very thread, most everything their supporters say is basically BS.

Always talking about how THEY are the 'oppressed'!

Or my favorite... The JEWS! are the source of the entire problem.

Unfortunately, everytime the lies about the 'Israeli' thing get exposed, the situation quickly gets reframed.

Just look at the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza. Did that bring peace? Not on your life.

When Islamists say the want to a homeland for the 'Palestinians'... What they really mean is they want to get in real close for a better shot at killing JEWS!

Ugly. Ugly. Ugly.

Remember guys WWII didn't start when it 'officially' started... It started quite a few years before when Fascism got rolling.

A strong case could easily be made of it starting in Spain.

If you accept that premise, than the parallels become more significant.

Of course WWIII is ALREADY fully underway...

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Those who all complain against islamic extremists will be shocked when they will see themselves or others americans being extremists because they want to defend their constitution against this corpo-fascism in the USA. They are fighting for religion, you are fighting for freedom... then, isn't freedom a religion? I think so.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Those who all complain against islamic extremists will be shocked when they will see themselves or others americans being extremists because they want to defend their constitution against this corpo-fascism in the USA. They are fighting for religion, you are fighting for freedom... then, isn't freedom a religion? I think so.

You forget that they are 'using' a religion to justify there killings of innocent ppl. The US is promoteing peace by democracy, that suits the world the best. We are getting rid of the bad apples. The Islamic world on the other hand wants a one world religion, freedoms we here in the west enjoy, taken away. They threaten our freedoms with there F'ed up religion. They want islamic law! We all know that that isnt in the best interest for the ppl of this world.

new topics

top topics

join