It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With the thanks of a greatfull Nation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
We had the misfortune to have to spend last week in Phillidelphia due to the death of an in law. Being the historian I am its not surprising we found our way to Independance Hall where standing in the same rooms of the founding fathers was inspiring to say the least. Walking out of the hall we noticed a quiet but determined group of people setting up what even from the distance on a grassy part of the mall could not be mistaken for anything else but what they were. Tombstones, the small white markers reserved for military personell.

We walked over and were quickly overwhelmed by the staggering number. Even my always hyperactive 4 year old picked up on the somber scene spread before us. Markers stretched far and wide. We walked through the field and in the middle stopped to see the names and the faces that had been placed on each. Much to my shock the first marker we came to was for a 23 year old man who was from a city a meer 30 miles from my own home. A 19 year old from Wisconsin, a 27 year olf female from South Carolina. It went on and on. We spent the next hour in the gathering darkness looking over this field of the fallen some 2700+ in all (A worker said that they had to stop last week so the total was by no means up to date). We spoke to some of the mothers that had shown up to speak the next day (The 11th) thier grief and anger were manifest. The killed in action ceased to become a statistic quoted on the nightly news for us.

I can only offer my eternal gratitude and thanks for those who made the ultimate sacrafice for our country. I only wish our political leaders 9on both sides) were truly worthy of such.

new topics

join