It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My submarine design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This is my design for an advanced mini-sub. Modeled in Rhinoceros. It is in the tan clay color because I have not UV Mapped it to take textures yet.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Cool design, very natural tech looking.

Is it supposed to be manned or unmanned?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Thanks it is supposed to be a manned design. I designed it more for adventure type storyline animations than as an actual real world design. My original intent was for it to swim like a fish, but it has a turbine intake and an exhaust sort of like a jetski. It also has torpedos that come out and the cockpit opens to reveal the seat and controls.

[edit on 11-17-2006 by groingrinder]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Here is a shot showing some of the details.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Very cool, you have a nice talent for design.
Mine would have been more like a 55 gallon drum with a window. lol
I have a few CAD programs, I have yet to master any of them to the degree you have...
Nice work!

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Thanks alot Beer_Guy. I use Rhinoceros for modeling. It is extremely easy to learn to use. I have tried alot of them along the way. Truespace, 3dsMax, Blender, Wings, but without a doubt Rhino has been the easiest. I moderate the Rhinoceros forum at www.renderosity.com and everybody there is about helping new people learn the ropes.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I've only ever modeled in 2D. I use Artcam Pro to draw it, then output in G-code to use on my CNC router.
I only recently found a forum where I can get help(www.cnczone.com...). There aren't many people around here that use a homebuilt CNC. lol

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
That is one hi tech hobby. We have one or two guys on the Rhino forum that have gone that route. I do WW2 Warbird artwork and UV Map for international clients over the internet. I also sell a few models now and then. Lately I have been itching to animate a movie so I am practicing towards that end. I would think that with a CNC setup that you get alot of business from folks to duplicate items no longer made or folks looking to have a solid model instead of a virtual one.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I love it Groingrinder! Just a thought - it looks heavier at the front, meaning that when it's not moving it will tend to tip forward/go downward. I suppose counterweights at the back should solve that?

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   

I would think that with a CNC setup that you get alot of business from folks to duplicate items no longer made or folks looking to have a solid model instead of a virtual one.

At the moment I'm just making signs in wood.
What I want to do is to make open frame clocks about 7 feet tall. The biggest gear would be 2 feet in diameter, all out of wood. I'm almost there.....

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Be very careful that Gerry Anderson doesn't sue you

You must have seen UFO at some point in the past and the basic design has been stuck in your head
Its funny how things like that work

Looks cool though and I like the rendering

[edit on 24-11-2006 by neformore]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Wow! Very similar...
Great minds think alike. LOL

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Nefermore I have never heard of Gerry Anderson. I do not think his design is similar at all. I just sat down in Rhino and opened an ellipsoid primitive and started pulling around on it. The new version of Rhino will not let me pull primitives around and get this type of work anymore so I have switched to Hexagon for my work involving pulling out primitives and am trying to learn it.

top topics

join