It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 7 years of smoking Im calling it quits!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Firstly, as someone who quit recently (about a year and a half ago) let me congratulate you on your excellent decision.

Second, my personal recommendation is to have some nice chewing gum on hand for when you get those urges. Also, for at least the first little while, don't hang out with people who smoke incessantly, as it will make things more difficult for you.

Third, there are two distinctly different addictions which you will have to overcome. The first is the above mentioned chemical addiction. Nicotine has been proven, without any doubt, to be an addictive substance, and levels are often boosted in order to hook people. It does a good job. That addiction is the one that will make you shaky, grouchy etc for the first few days. You can overcome this. The second addiction is the physical (non-chemical) addiction. That is the action of smoking, the holding of a cigarette etc. That addiction is much harder to defeat. I often find myself, a year and a half later, holding a pen like a cigarette without even knowing it. That part is VERY hard to beat, but you can beat it enough to get out of smoking and then go from there.

As for there being a point in quitting after X years? There absolutely is a point. In fact, it is remarkably beneficial to the body to quit, regardless of how long you've been smoking. Everyone knows that smoking damages the respiratory system right? But did you know it also damages the cardiovascular system?

The chemicals in cigarettes artificially raise your heart rate. This is a bad thing. Don't believe me? Anyone who smokes, take your pulse before you've had your first cigarette, and then afterwards. Needlessly speeding up your heart is NOT good. It is NOT the same as working out to speed up your heart.

The chemicals in cigarettes constrict your blood vessels, making it harder for your heart to pump. NOT a good thing. Constricted blood vessels also make the body take longer to heal any injuries.

The bottom line is that smoking damages your body. Has damage already been done by smoking for 7 years? Sure has. But read some of what I wrote above, and think to yourself, why CONTINUE to do this? It's simply illogical to think that since you've already smoked, you shouldn't bother to quit.

When I decided to quit, I couldn't walk up a few flights of stairs without gasping. A year and a half of not smoking and some working out and I don't have this problem anymore.

Your heart rate and blood pressure will level out to normal levels within a short while. Lung capacity will take a bit longer, but that too will get better.

Just don't give in to the addictions.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
QUITTER!! :bnghd:

And to make it worse, you were a fellow Newport smoker!:shk:

Just kidding, congrats(I guess) on your decision. The rest of us will miss you.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I wish I could quit my nicotine habit. Everytime it try and quit I go:

When I have my Nicotine I'm:

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Royal76]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join