It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dutch voting to ban burqa in public

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky

However I can almost garauntee the US will not make a move to ban Burqas. We are w/o a doubt the most timid and PC nation when it comes to this kind of activism.

Well they can't wear them while driving its against the law, it hinders vision.

Also they laughed one out of a motor vehicle deparment in Detroit or so someone claimed (ealier in this very thread I think
when one would not take her burka off for a photo.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoorahUSMCYou wig out and go to the extreme

Show me where I went to the extreme. You can't because you are lying. Everyone here thinks the burqa ban is good by comparing it to cannibalism, or carrying concealed weapons or some such. That's going to the extreme. The only sensible excuse for this is security reasons. Except for that, people should have the right to wear what they want...period.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Oh but I can prove I am not lying and you have gone to the Extreme!

"In secret? That's exactly what the burqa ban is telling those that wear one to do. That they aren't allowed to show this specific symbol, and they have to do in private. Even though the burqa is not required by the Qur'an, it is obviously important to some religious sects. What is the relationship between wearing a burqa and carrying a firearm? Last I checked, you can't shoot people with a burqa...."

You compare banning Burqas to forcing Muslims to worshup in secret.

"Actually it is, whether you want to call it a monopoly of power invested in the state or a tyrrany of the majority, the consequences are the same. Might does not make right, so I'm not sure why you are applauding it unless you agree with the decision. "

You compare a democratic nation where the majority rules, and the majority rules Burqas are a threat, to Tyranny.

See? You have gone to the extreme. You say it yourself, that if they ban Burqas then the Muslims are being told to worship in secret, even though they aren't Are the Dutch shutting down Temples where they worship? Are they banning Islam? NO! Yet you say it yourself that banning burqas means they are trying to ban Islam. Unless you go back and edit your posts to take that out.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoorahUSMC"In secret? That's exactly what the burqa ban is telling those that wear one to do. That they aren't allowed to show this specific symbol, and they have to do in private. Even though the burqa is not required by the Qur'an, it is obviously important to some religious sects. What is the relationship between wearing a burqa and carrying a firearm? Last I checked, you can't shoot people with a burqa...."

You compare banning Burqas to forcing Muslims to worshup in secret.

No, I said those that wear burqa's will be forced to wear one in secret. I can't get any more specific for you so I'll quote again what I said above..."In secret? That's exactly what the burqa ban is telling those that wear one to do. That they aren't allowed to show this specific symbol, and they have to do in private."

"Actually it is, whether you want to call it a monopoly of power invested in the state or a tyrrany of the majority, the consequences are the same. Might does not make right, so I'm not sure why you are applauding it unless you agree with the decision. "

You compare a democratic nation where the majority rules, and the majority rules Burqas are a threat, to Tyranny.

Maybe you should keep track of the conversation instead of taking little bits of it out of context. I wrote that to show a certain poster why it's wrong to assume a decision is good just because the majority votes for it.

You say it yourself, that if they ban Burqas then the Muslims are being told to worship in secret, even though they aren't

I said those who wear burqas will be forced to wear them in secret. Stop trying to twist my words.

Yet you say it yourself that banning burqas means they are trying to ban Islam.

Show me where I said that. You can't because I didn't. So just stop.

[edit on 21-11-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Of all the pro burqa wearing posters, are any of you burqa wearing women with a view of their own we could draw insight from?

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by cazzy2211
Of all the pro burqa wearing posters, are any of you burqa wearing women with a view of their own we could draw insight from?

Why not extend the invitation to those that want the burqa banned since their argument claims that none of them wants to wear it?

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
So we ignore everything you said because you said it? You said if they ban Burqas they are telling Muslims to worship in secret and that the Majority in a Democracy should bend to the minority. You say this is Tyranny and that next they will round up Muslims and send them to gas chambers. I call you out for going extreme, you say you didn't, I quote you, you say I shouldn't use your words to prove what you said. That right so far?

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I have mixed feelings about this one.

Mainly because I believe in freedom of religion which includes freedom of expression for all.... Or is it for all?

These are the gnats that are starting not only military wars but societal clashes within established democracies, I don't want them to have any freedoms in any democracies when it comes to expressing their religion. It's a perverted view come to think of it, but they are using our freedoms and pulling down our pants with it.

It's normal for those women to wear those burqas out in public in their own country, so are they just used to the norm? Or are they trying to intimidate free countries by rubbing the fact that they are muslim in our faces, and now in our democracies, and perhaps they are here to change that and thats their way of communicating that to us? They have to know what we as democratic people are thinking. Perhaps they don't care, perhaps this is their way of being part of the muslim 'jihad'.

They have to know what we are thinking, it's very rude of them to continue on this path of theirs, so my conclusion is that this is their way of being part of the war on democracies. The more they get their way, the more they become one step closer to their goal.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by HoorahUSMC
You said if they ban Burqas they are telling Muslims to worship in secret

I said if they ban burqas they are requiring those wear burqas to practice this in secret.

and that the Majority in a Democracy should bend to the minority.

I said a majority is not always right.

You say this is Tyranny and that next they will round up Muslims and send them to gas chambers.

Never did I.

I call you out for going extreme, you say you didn't, I quote you, you say I shouldn't use your words to prove what you said. That right so far?

Actually, it sounds you continuing your outright lies for the purpose of some twisted anonymous vendetta. Go harass someone else.

Originally posted by TrueLies
Mainly because I believe in freedom of religion which includes freedom of expression for all.... Or is it for all?

It should always be for all as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of another.

They have to know what we are thinking, it's very rude of them to continue on this path of theirs, so my conclusion is that this is their way of being part of the war on democracies. The more they get their way, the more they become one step closer to their goal.

It's their custom, why shouldn't a democracy accept it. Isn't the point of a democracy to allow everyone to have a voice? 'I don't like what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it'...right?

[edit on 24-11-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This story is a clear example of why its not unreasonable to place restrictions on wearing completely concealing clothing in public.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 2/20/2007 by darkbluesky]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Personally I think that this is a great decision. It should not be allowed in public places. What would the rest of th world do if everyone decided to wear a big black head covering? If this is cool in the Middle East then by all means do it in the Middle East, but if you are coming to the western world, then dress like the rest of us. And the ones that wan tto get a drivers license and have their picture taken with the burqa on. Come on people...For all I know, you could have an uzi under that garment...Take it off and welcome yourself to America

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
First the Woman, freaken awesome.

Then Amsterdamn

Now this I just may move there when I retire.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join