It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People in line for Playstation 3 robbed in Connecticut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
PUTNAM, Conn. — Two armed thugs tried to rob a line of people waiting to buy the new Playstation 3 gaming console early today and shot one who refused to give up any money, authorities said.

www.chron.com
PUTNAM, Conn. — Two armed thugs tried to rob a line of people waiting to buy the new Playstation 3 gaming console early today and shot one who refused to give up any money, authorities said.

The two confronted 15 to 20 people who were in line outside a Wal-Mart store shortly after 3 a.m. and demanded money, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the state police. The new Sony consoles are selling for around $500 to $600.

"One of the patrons resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

He said the two gunmen fled and the victim was taken to University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. There was no immediate word on the victim's condition.

Vance said police were searching for the suspects, both believed to be in their teens. He said one was wearing a ski mask and brandishing a handgun, and the other had what appeared to be a shotgun.

Short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to lines of buyers, some waiting for days, outside stores across the country.

In Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday. In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

In Lexington, Ky., police were investigating a drive-by shooting that hit four people with BB pellets outside a Best Buy store, causing minor injuries, according to WKYT, whose own reporter was hit as she interviewed buyers in line.

A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart — its employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This Is unreal. Why can Sony not just make enough for everyone so there will not be crazy crap like this?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
its deff crazy and all for a PS3:S lol piece rubbish phony company policy milk everyone for every cent an penny..........

jap ps3 is so cheap it takes ****

usa prices are high and just look at UK price that some how makes it $ = £ which really takes ****

i wont buy one till price drops why bother nintendo wii looks pretty cool and is cheap too

bet 5-6months after relese theres a massive price drop, also we in UK dont get Ps3 till March i think lol feck sony xbox and a wii together is cheaper than freaking PS3 price in UK think i know i will have an xbox 360 and a wii and shove sony.......

£549.99 for UK price thats a whopping $1100 is it not? or $900.................

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I don't see what the fuss is about. For £599 you can buiy a decent PC. I spent £650 on mine and it is 64-bit 2Ghz AMD, 7600GT 256Mb card, 1Gb of RAM and 160Gb HD. For another £150 I can have 2 7600 GT's in SLI. I can do everything a PS3 can do and then some.

PC's whoop consoles hands down. Consoles are for morons too dopy to work out how a PC works.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Capitalism going out of hand

How much is worthed to be crazy on line for days to get hands on a toy!!!!!!!

But many will do it to make more money out of it.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

This Is unreal. Why can Sony not just make enough for everyone so there will not be crazy crap like this?

Sony is not to blame ... this is capitalism at its finest and the idiots willing to camp out for 48 hours in oder to purchase it so they can sell it to more idiots willing to pay $2000-3000 for something they can get in a few months for 1/5th that cost are the ones to blame.

A game console is not a commodity in any respect ... it is not a requirement for survival and therefore Sony could make 10 a month and sell them for $50k if they thought they could make more money that way. Of course they're going to hype up the event, have "limited" supply to encourage sales and sit back and enjoy the $$'s rolling in. By limiting the supply and creating the hype they've gauaranteed al 300K + units they just rolled out today are sold instantly ... therefore the stores that bought them want more units.

Not to say someone deserves to be robbed or shot over a game. But I would be worried if I was sitting somewhere for 2 full days with $600 to purchase a product and everyone that drove by knew exactly why I was there and how much this thing cost.

I've been waiting for the PS3 to come out and will purchase one at some point when I can walk into the store plop my money down and leave. I am not willing to wait for an hour let alone 2 days for a toy. Same reason I don't go shopping on "MIDNIGHT MADNESS" sales during Thanksgiving ... I just don't feel like getting into a physical fight over a dish set that is on a 20% off sale ... I'll go and buy it for the regular price when there is no line.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
So much for WalMart security. I would expect nothing less from a gutless corporation such as WalMart. In some areas, WalMart will have one notifiable security guard on duty patroling the parking lot in a vehicle with an orange light flashing.

Even a fool could get away with this robbery. It makes sense the people in line would have plenty of money to steal and it makes sense that Walmart might have 1 security guard on duty in the parking lot. And that so called security guard was probably getting high while hot boxing his security vehicle.

top topics

join