It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Searches for 'Bruce Willis'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Wanted: man to land on killer asteroid and gently nudge it from path to Earth

Nasa evokes Hollywood in effort to avoid catastrophe

It is the stuff of nightmares and, until now, Hollywood thrillers. A huge asteroid is on a catastrophic collision course with Earth and mankind is poised to go the way of the dinosaurs.

To save the day, Nasa now plans to go where only Bruce Willis has gone before. The US space agency is drawing up plans to land an astronaut on an asteroid hurtling through space at more than 30,000 mph. It wants to know whether humans could master techniques needed to deflect such a doomsday object when it is eventually identified. The proposals are at an early stage, and a spacecraft needed just to send an astronaut that far into space exists only on the drawing board, but they are deadly serious. A smallish asteroid called Apophis has already been identified as a possible threat to Earth in 2036.

A 1bn tonne asteroid just 1km across striking the Earth at a 45 degree angle could generate the equivalent of a 50,000 megatonne thermonuclear explosion. Attempting to break it up with an atomic warhead might only generate thousands of smaller objects on a similar course, which could have time to reform. Scientists agree the best approach, given enough warning, would be to gently nudge the object into a safer orbit.

It is certainly very optimistic to read, that NASA is planning this on the Asteroid, which could be a threat in 2036. It is a long way untill that time - but what puzzles me, is what would happen if an asteroid would get here sooner. I bet in 30 year they can come up with a plan - what about if an asteroid is spotted that has 3 years or less until impact?

Bruce Willis - Where Are You?

HUMANITY NEEDS YOU ONCE AGAIN!

[edit on 17/11/06 by Souljah]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Strange. I was under the impression that the latest calculations had revealed that (99942) Apophis would come nowhere near Earth in 2036......

[edit on 17-11-2006 by Mogget]

[edit on 17-11-2006 by Mogget]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Already covered, in fact two threads below this one.

NASA Looking At Manned Asteroid Mission

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The thing is, the probability for a tiny object like an asteroid to strike a planet is so very small, the only reason we'd need "a new bruce willis" is if the asteroid was under power -- if it was being controlled. Sure, an asteroid could get sucked into the pull of earth's gravity...but it would probably orbit for a while before slingshotting away. Even if "Aphophis" gets anywhere near earth, it would still have to get close enough, and be traveling at an exact intercept path with earth to even stand a chance of hitting us.

I would worry more about nukes than asteroids, myself.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiseones
The thing is, the probability for a tiny object like an asteroid...

I think you're confusing asteroids with meteors.

Asteroids are generally very large, as in meausred in miles.
Asteroids have hit earth many times in the past, and nearly
wiped out all life, in fact one of theose asteroids wiped out
93% of life on Earth.

Sure, an asteroid could get sucked into the pull of earth's gravity...but it would probably orbit for a while before slingshotting away. Even if "Aphophis" gets anywhere near earth, it would still have to get close enough, and be traveling at an exact intercept path with earth to even stand a chance of hitting us.

Apophis won't hit Earth, we've done the projections, and we know
that it won't, but an asteroid hitting the Earth is'nt a matter of if,
it's a matter of when.

[edit on 11/19/2006 by iori_komei]

new topics

top topics

join