It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians told to "Get prepared"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I just saw a commercial tonight on tv which was out of place for Canadian tv.It was telling people to be prepared for any emergency and have enough resources to last about 72 hours.That is the first time in about 40 years of watching tv here that I have ever seen anything like it.I know with the wierd weather we have been having it may be the governments way of saying "hey,we won't get there right away so you are on your own!!".Lot's of people it seems have been put out by severe weather lately,but what if they are reffering to something else,like maybe the events that are happening globally?? Or maybe they are talking about the scenarios we have had with severe weather conditions lately.Or maybe the government thought it was about time it caught up with the rest of the world and told it's people to be prepared.I don't know what to think of it and I just wanted to get some feedback from you out there

getprepared.ca...

This is the website if anyone wants to have a look.Hope to hear from you all soon!!

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Looks like a PSA. Preparing citizens for a possible ice storm or any severe storms we may have this coming winter. I remember it was pretty bad for Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick back in '98. Talk about frigid.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Actually, ever since the huge ice storm, commercials just like this have been airing in the fall. You just must have missed them every previous year.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Better to be caught prepared then unprepared. Don't have to worry about conspiracy. They just want to make sure the country is safe incase of a severe storm.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I hope so.I don't want this Country to get entangled in a web of fear Mongering that's going on in the rest of the world.That's my main concern.It's always nice to think that this Country is relatively free from all that nonsense.Just a thought,Is this a way of the Government saying that because of global warming we need to start being more prepared?? Are they subtly recognizing it as a serious problem???

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I've caught a couple of these ads. They struck me as common sence rather than fearmongering. There's plenty of things that could happen to our infrastructure that would cause catastrophic supply disruptions including black-outs, ice storms, earthquakes, and ecconomic crashes.

FYI, for the last couple days the Vancouver area and much of BC has been under a "boil water" warning due to some large storms that washed a lot of soil into our watersheds. It was nothing spectacular... just a lot of heavy rain. When we lost our access to drinkable tap water, most people freaked. Bottled water sold out in almost no time, leaving many with no drinkable water at all. I happened to have a stockpile of purified water to draw from. It's part of my emergency reserves that I keep despite having little worry about terrorism in Canada.

Being prepared doesn't mean being scared!

Everyone should have atleast a smallish emergency stash, even if it's a few cans of food, a 6 pack of bottled water, and some bandaids.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It's good advice:

Don't be afraid - be prepared.

BTW - my first thought was pandemic, although I know full well we're in for a wild ride on a lot of fronts. ...I think of it as the 'cataclysmic convergence.'

Anyway - thanks for the thread and info. Haven't seen that or similar commercials here in Winnipeg but don't watch much TV.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Love the politically correct front page.

I guess they know what's coming but haven't the guts to tell the human sheep the truth so they will weasel this out as long as they can and then declare: we told you.. you just didn't listen!!

What are they expecting world wide destruction with massive displacement of humans?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Just tracked the links from "Be Prepared" to "Know your region."

...Winnipeg has a class 4 virology lab - linked to the CDC incidentally - and a new facility for proteins (they don't say prion, but...).

I was pleased to learn there is absolutely NO risk of security or air filtration failure at these facilities, for example - and NOTHING to fear. The labs are not mentioned on the list, or referred to indirectly. We only have to worry about storms and floods here in Winnipeg.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I googled about Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada (PSEPC) and apparently they pay very good salary... LOL!

groups.google.com...

The replies to this linked job offer are killing me!

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It is called good government, keeping their people informed and giving good advice.

People aren't used to seeing government do smart things, so it is natural to be skeptical first. In the states, this type of intelligent advice is unheard of, it would be given a disclaimer telling you who to blame when bad things happen.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by darksided
It is called good government, keeping their people informed and giving good advice.

Don't get me wrong darksided - I love Canada - but. This country is the home and chief purveyor of "benign neglect" policies. Benign neglect meaning: do nothing, and you can't be blamed for doing something wrong.

Think: AIDS on reserves; ...well anything on reserves, including the whole reservation system.

However - I just saw one of the ads.

IMO - this is about a pandemic, and we're likely in an unannounced Stage 5 Alert, maybe early Stage 6. ...Everyone everywhere is positioning, planning, and pushing emergency/pandemic preparedness.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

IMO - this is about a pandemic, and we're likely in an unannounced Stage 5 Alert, maybe early Stage 6. ...Everyone everywhere is positioning, planning, and pushing emergency/pandemic preparedness.

Well it could be a lot worse, our politicans in the US are too worried about their own power to care about the people.

We have been at war for over 5 years and if it wasn't for the news, no one would know it.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by darksided

Originally posted by soficrow

Well it could be a lot worse, our politicans in the US are too worried about their own power to care about the people.

We have been at war for over 5 years and if it wasn't for the news, no one would know it.

That's a very good point.Politics are about who can give me the most perks rather than how can I best serve the people who voted me in.......

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by diggerdan
Looks like a PSA. Preparing citizens for a possible ice storm or any severe storms we may have this coming winter. I remember it was pretty bad for Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick back in '98. Talk about frigid.

that ice storm in Ottawa back in 98 was absolutely brutal.

so glad that wasn't my house ^^ !

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
If anything, the Canadian Government is over cautious when it comes to public health issues. I have "survived" the largest disruption of Canadian water supply in history:

More than two million residents of B.C.'s Lower Mainland have been told to consider boiling their water in the wake of the big storm that blew through the area on Wednesday.

The Greater Vancouver Regional District issued the advisory Thursday, warning that the brown, cloudy tap water increases the risk of gastrointestinal illness.

The GVRD said the heavy rains of the past couple of days have increased turbidity in the Capilano and Seymour reservoirs on the North Shore.

Source

All this over cloudy water that still hasn't tested positive for any real harmful contamination. Still, it's a common sence thing. After those storms, the water could have produced a wide range of problems for anyone consuming it. This is a perfect example of a mundane event that having an emergancy reserve of water could help mitigate.

Unfortunatly, many people don't have any sort of emergancy supplies and things got a little chaotic. In Vancouver proper and on the North Shore supplies of bottled water were quickly sold out and several incedents of voilance breaking out over tried to get ahold of a few bottles of Evian were reported. That wouldn't have happened if people had heeded the advice of our Government and prepared themselves properly.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Having a 72 hour 'bug-out' bag is common sense. Earthquakes, tornados, floods, blizzards, hurricanes, terrorist attack ..... everyone who can afford one should have a 3 day emergency back pack. Homes should have 2 weeks of canned food, water, and emergency supplies.

I was raised having all these things ready at all times. Frankly, I was shocked that people these days aren't being raised to have their 'bug-out' bags and emergency supplies at home.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Having a 72 hour 'bug-out' bag is common sense. Earthquakes, tornados, floods, blizzards, hurricanes, terrorist attack ..... everyone who can afford one should have a 3 day emergency back pack.

Every member of your household should have an emergency pack that they can grab and run with.
Even your children could need to evacuate without you in an emergency, and should have a basic pack that they can carry in a crisis.

I think the Canadian Government is being prudent by informing the populous on how to be prepared. The more people that can take care of themselves in an emergency means the less people emergency services needs to take care of.
Let's face it, it's the first few hours or days that you need to survive in a disaster. After that, in most cases, your either dead or help starts arriving.

Every family needs an escape plan for specific dangers in your area, as well as the unexpected. A few dollars and some common sense could save you a tragic loss.

Every family needs a pre-arranged meeting place or contact if you need to bug-out while separated. You won't be able to use cell phones or normal lines of communication, and children in school could be moved to safety while parents are miles away at work.
Have a main contact nearby, and contacts further away that you can use if the disaster is of a larger scale.

Every family needs to familiarize each member with evacuation procedures or how to dig in to survive. Everyone also needs to know how to use the supplies in their kit.
Not knowing how to use something is as bad as not having it at all.

A couple of escape drills and a night trying to survive in an unfamiliar environment will have a large impact on children, even if it's in the backyard. The more real it feels to them, the better chance they have to survive when something happens for real.

Basic items you will need to survive for 72 hours:

Water – at least two litres of water per person per day (Include small bottles that can be carried easily in case of an evacuation order)

Food that won’t spoil, such as canned food, energy bars and dried foods (remember to replace the food and water once a year)

Manual can opener

Flashlight and batteries

Candles and matches or lighter (remember to place candles in sturdy containers and to put them out before going to sleep)

Battery-powered or wind-up radio (and extra batteries)

First aid kit

Special items such as prescription medications, infant formula and equipment for people with disabilities

Extra keys for your car and house

Some cash in smaller bills, such as $10 bills (travellers cheques are also useful) and change for payphones

A copy of your emergency plan including contact information.

Recommended additional kit supplies

It is always a good idea to have extra supplies on hand. Here are some recommendations:

A change of clothing and footwear for each household member

Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each household member

A whistle (in case you need to attract attention)

Garbage bags for personal sanitation

Toilet paper and other personal care supplies

Safety gloves

Basic tools (hammer, pliers, wrench, screwdrivers, fasteners, work gloves)

Small fuel-driven stove and fuel (follow manufacturer’s directions and store properly)

Two additional litres of water per person per day for cooking and cleaning
getprepared.ca...

When you consider emergency packs for your children you should think about things like the amount of weight they can carry if they need to walk any distance without assistance, and pack it with high energy foods that they are familiar with.
Fruit strips, zip top serving size cans of pasta & meat, beef jerky, high fructose candy, packets of honey, etc...
High energy food that they like, but has minimal weight if they need to carry it.

Every kid can carry a school bag with enough supplies to last them a couple days in an emergency, and it's only prudent that you, as a parent, provide them with one.

What you teach them now could serve them well in the future even if they never use it.
But it could save their lives if the feces ever hit the fan.
And we all know that could happen.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
You know,I probably have about 3 or 4 of those back packs in my house somewhere.I think I will put a couple aside for just such an emergency

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   
It's worthwhile to note that while high energy foods are good in a pinch, they will leave you burned out and hurting in the long run.

High sugar/glucos/fructose snacks should be suplemented with something more substantial. I recomend protean and wheay powders along with vitamin suplements. They're compact, easy to store, and can provide a lot of nutrition.

top topics

join