It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Looking At Manned Asteroid Mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

NASA is appraising a human mission to a near-Earth asteroid—
gauging the scientific merit of the endeavor while testing out
spacecraft gear, as well as mastering techniques that could
prove useful if a space rock ever took aim for our planet.

Space agency teams are looking into use of Constellation
hardware for a human Near-Earth Object (NEO) mission—an
effort underway at NASA’s Ames Research.

“A human mission to a near Earth asteroid would be scientif-
ically worthwhile,” said Chris McKay, deputy scientist in the
Constellation science office at the NASA Johnson Space Center.
“It could be part of an overall program of understanding these
objects. Also, it would be useful, instrumentally, in terms of
understanding the threat they pose to the Earth.”

“There’s a lot of public resonance with this notion that NASA
ought to be doing something about killer asteroids…to be able
to send serious equipment to an asteroid,” McKay observed.
“The public wants us to have mastered the problem of dealing
with asteroids. So being able to have astronauts go out there and
sort of poke one with a stick would be scientifically valuable as
well as demonstrate human capabilities,” he said.

SOURCE:
Space.com

This is very exciting, I know it's not something that will happen
in within the next five years, but the idea that it may happen
before the 2020 is very cool.

Going to an asteroid is a grea idea, not only does it give us
more knowledge about them, but doing so will allow us to
consider extracting there resources.

[edit on 11/16/2006 by iori_komei]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fixed spelling in title

[edit on 18/2/07 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Hey iori,

Seems I'm always checking out your posts, since we obviously share an interest in all things Space.

Most of the time I get sidetracked , looking further into the fascinating subjects you find, and forget to come back and leave a message.

So decided to let you know your posts are not in vain. You definately save me some search time, by bringing the latest 'space gems', to my attention.

I've always wondered if a camera on an asteroid would be the next step.

Wasn't sure if the forces on these eccentric space orphans would allow such an experiment, but if they're theorizing on human missions, would not a scientific package (cameras, and other info gathering equipment) be a logical first step?

It would be analogous to the relatively recent practice of glueing cameras on turtles, sea mammals, etc. to glean otherwise unobtainable secrets from the deep blue.

nice find, as usual.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird
Hey iori,

Seems I'm always checking out your posts, since we obviously share an interest in all things Space.

Most of the time I get sidetracked , looking further into the fascinating subjects you find, and forget to come back and leave a message.

So decided to let you know your posts are not in vain. You definately save me some search time, by bringing the latest 'space gems', to my attention.

I've always wondered if a camera on an asteroid would be the next step.

Wasn't sure if the forces on these eccentric space orphans would allow such an experiment, but if they're theorizing on human missions, would not a scientific package (cameras, and other info gathering equipment) be a logical first step?

It would be analogous to the relatively recent practice of glueing cameras on turtles, sea mammals, etc. to glean otherwise unobtainable secrets from the deep blue.

nice find, as usual.

Thanks.

I think putting a camera on an asteroid would be interesting, and might
have some commercial value as well, though I can't think of any
science that could be found by doing so, but hey I miss stuff sometimes.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well , if for no other reason to observe the effects of space on an orbiting body.

Could it not help in our understanding of radiation, tectonics, space body decay/rotation, etc.?

And if successful, it could gather non earth views of the solar system , which is basically what we do with man-made probes and satellites.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird
Well , if for no other reason to observe the effects of space on an orbiting body.

Could it not help in our understanding of radiation, tectonics, space body decay/rotation, etc.?

And if successful, it could gather non earth views of the solar system , which is basically what we do with man-made probes and satellites.

Hm, yeah that would be a good reason for cameras.

I don't know why, but I was thinking cameras that just sat there
staring at a single spot on the asteroid.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I read your post, and then when off to the NEAR website.
Remember that mission? Near here

they landed on Eros, with a non-lander..then, what I didn't know, was that they tried to wake it up again, in 2002..they failed, it never responded.

I wonder which rock would be a good candidate? Seems like we'd have to visit more than one, to get good comparative science..

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I wonder which rock would be a good candidate? Seems like we'd have to visit more than one, to get good comparative science..

I'd say Ida or Vesta would be good candidates,
though both are a bit far off.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I had a strange thought the other day. I see an astronaut in space with a 400 pound washing machine like device and he's moving it with no effort because it's virtually weightless in outer space. Since an asteroid is in outer space wouldn't it be virtually weightless as well?

If one were on a collision course with Earth why couldn't we just pull up beside it, roll down the window, give it a nudge with a stick and send it off in another direction?

Then facts about mass and gravity and other silly laws crept in and ruined a perfectly good thought. (I hate when that happens)

Still, good find Iori, thanks for sharing it.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
mrwupy..

don't give up.
pull up and nudge the thing 10 or 12 thousand times..you might just save the planet.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I've wondered about using an asteroid as a secondary launch point , as well.

If we could soft land a launcher, then 'piggyback' the asteroid, collecting data , till it reaches it's aphelion, or farthest point from the sun, then a secondary launch of a probe could be made from there.

I would think that plan could be cost effective, compared to just launching a single mission probe.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
As to why the US and other countries are attempting to land on Near Earth Objects is because it is a part of a long-term strategy. It isn’t possible to give a timeline but this is probably how the strategy will unfold:

> Feasibility studies of landing on any NEO for military purposes, ie, military domination of allocated sectors in space for offensive/defensive operations.

> To establish an orbiting military outpost to monitor hostile traffic and initiate countermeasures if and when needed.

> To establish a repeater base for uninterrupted military and civ communications.

> Exploitation of mineral resources.

> To develop technology to move/maneuver asteroids for prevention of ELEs (Extinction Level Events) by asteroids/comets heading toward Earth.

> Develop propulsion systems to enable them to turn the asteroids into deep space probes and large space ships for extended space travel within and outside the Solar System.

> To convert some for transit and cas evac / medical emergency aid centers within the Solar System.

And finally to develop and perfect the technology to not only move large asteroids, but move the Earth itself! This, needless to say, will happen, but way into the future. Don't believe me? Take a peek here!!

[edit on 16-11-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
editing the traject of the astroid is not a sollution.
You might change it and destroy less developed civilisation on another planet.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
editing the traject of the astroid is not a sollution.
You might change it and destroy less developed civilisation
on another planet.

Not really, considering that Earth is the only inhabited planet
in this solar system, add ot that the fact that the asteroid
would most likely stay in-system, plus the fact that the nearest
civilization is atleast 20 lightyears away, the chances of that
are more than astronomical.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
News Update

Asteroid heading for Earth needs UN plan say scientists

Proposals being put forward to circumvent the threat posed by Apophis and other NEOs include have specially prepared spacecraft ready to launch which would impact the threatening asteroid and deflect it from its collision course. Another suggestion, is to deflect the asteroid's course using the weak gravitational field of a spacecraft hovering nearby.

While thousands of potentially dangerous NEOs have been identified by astronomers, Apophis has been singled out for attention because it is going to have two very close encounters with the Earth within a short space of time. The first on Friday April 13 2029 will see the asteroid pass within an uncomfortable 30,000 kilometers. However, it is the second pass seven years later that have scientists worried. They're not sure whether the first pass will see Earth's gravity drag Apophis into a direct impact trajectory in 2036

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
that object curently has a 1 in 45,000 chance of impact. which as far as they go is very high. We should get a more definite estimate on whether it will impact in 2029 though so untill then just stay calm

new topics

top topics

join