It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth about native Australia

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Um this whole topic is generalising & reinforcing stereotypes (of the racist kind). I'm telling you there is a bigger picture, but please continue incarcerating an endless stream of people rather than addressing the root cause. It's what White (redneck) Australia was founded upon after all.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Um this whole topic is generalising & reinforcing stereotypes (of the racist kind).

You are right, and I came to learn that as I read on past your post.

I'm telling you there is a bigger picture,

I agree there is a bigger picture, and the posts by Reaper do well to highlight that.

...but please continue incarcerating an endless stream of people rather than addressing the root cause. It's what White (redneck) Australia was founded upon after all.

Hmmm...

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
A personal perspective:

I went to Oz with my European attitudes to colour and thought the Aboriginals were merely black people (ie just the same as everyone else with the same potential, attitudes, expectations etc but just with more pigment).

Over the few weeks I was there I totally changed my view - it's not about colour; the Aboriginals I saw were a people apart - playing little/no part in society, vagrant, alcohol-dependent, threatening and over-indulged by support networks/social services etc.

There's clearly no easy answer to this problem but why one lot of people should be allowed to hang around in the park drinking, fighting and being effectively above the law is beyond me.

Talking to nurses etc I was shocked to hear how Aboriginals got paid to go to school, turned up 3 times a year to collect their money, were clothed etc and the disappeared until the next time.

Seems to me if you indulge a group of people and allow the to live an indolent lifestyle with many benefits but with no responsibilities they will fulfill that role.

As previously stated there have been many attempts to solve this issue and nothing's worked so far.

I have no answers so I'll shut up but just wanted to say it's not a colour thing - it's much more deeply rooted than that.

[edit on 4/12/2006 by Strangerous]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
Um this whole topic is generalising & reinforcing stereotypes (of the racist kind). I'm telling you there is a bigger picture, but please continue incarcerating an endless stream of people rather than addressing the root cause. It's what White (redneck) Australia was founded upon after all.

Thankyou sar_chi..
I knew someone would atleast accuse us of being racist generalising rednecks..

Not one person in this thread has been racist.. from the begining it was stated as much as a sticky and hot topic it is, racism and 'blacks' wernt the focus.

By your name I take it your chinese, or of asian decent?
I love asain culture, your a very caring and placid people, for the most part.
Your smart and wise, and you manage to find happieness and peace in things most western people struggle to understand.

But you lowered the bar on this topic considerably, when you labeled us redneck racists.

I would like to tell you to take the cr@p somewhere else, but it is a public forum.

IF you believe we are being redneck racists incarcerating a RACE.. please either put your glasses on, go back to english lessons, or stop looking for a fight.

Because I am not a racist person.
But when I say 'groups' of aboriginals , young old, men and women beating up a young asian couple, then walking off laughing, spitting, cheering and jumping up and down.. Its hard not to look at them and go
'' what sort of a culture is that, to be able to do that... and laugh''

Not just once, not twice.. but as of THIS WEEK a third incident happened in the same area....

a large group of aboriginals using chairs, bottles, poles all set upon one man.

There's a very fine line between racism, and open discussion about a race.
Not one person crossed that line in this thread, but thankyou for accusing us anways.

obviously, you have a chip on your shoulder against 'white' people.

Not all white people are rednecks you know!

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
In saying that I agree with you partially that white people in general are not helping the situation.

But as I said earlier, aboriginals of today have every opportunity I have.
They have a hell of a lot more opportunities than there older generations had.

Yet a large % of the city dwelling aboriginals chose to smoke, drink and sit on the street abusing people, fighting people and blaming white people.

Instead of waking up, collecting that dole check.. buying a king brown, sitting in the park smoking and drinking hurling abuse at people that look at you..

why not wake up, go door knocking for a job...
earn minimum wage until youve proven yourself to your employer.
earn a better wage,
take on a night class...
learn a skill...
get a better job..
get a loan for a small apartment.

buy a house...
meet someone,
raise a family...
build your career...

I see no reason why an aboriginal CANNOT do those things...
I see no difference in why I can do these things, but they cannot.

Im not saying white australinas arent slack, and live on the street drinking and fighting...

but white australians arent blaming everyone else, for something they can do, yet chose not to.

[edit on 4-12-2006 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
earn a better wage,
take on a night class...
learn a skill...
get a better job..
buy a house...
meet someone,
raise a family...
build your career...

Sorry, but you're not much of a salesman for our superior way of life. Do you realise that our whole system doesn't even make sense to a culture which has coexisted in harmony with our continent for 40,000+ years?

We live in a delusional reality where contaminating an entire ecosystem such as kakadu with radioactive waste is acceptable if it helps the balance of trade. We pollute our lands, rivers, and oceans, we pulp our old growth forests, we make countless species extinct (including an entire race of humans), we wage wars and glorify technology, very few of us have any connection with the greater universe whatsoever, yet we celebrate our progress every January 26. Who do you think has the bigger problem?

Im not saying white australinas arent slack, and live on the street drinking and fighting... but white australians arent blaming everyone else, for something they can do, yet chose not to.
Geez I wonder why aboriginals would want to blame 'white' australia for their problems when we've got so much to offer them like plasma tvs & ikea kitchens.

My solution to this problem is to address the root cause. If we continue to place corporate profits over people and environment, the divide between rich and poor will grow and those on the fringes will flounder and occasionally lash out.

We should completely change our society from a liberal capitalism to an socio-environmental oriented model. A society which cares for the flora, fauna, and people would find ways to implement the enormous potential in all of its citizens. You may scoff, but I'm not joking, if we don't do it, it's game over for humanity.

You should be healing the wounds of our society not rubbing salt into them.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ed Littlefox

Thursday, we celebrate the Thanksgiving Holiday in the US. Native people in America, at least those of us who are of the Eastern Tribes, consider this a Black Day, and that because of the way the celebration was initiated. For us, “Thanksgiving” coincides with Ripe Corn, our harvest festival and feast. The Pilgrims celebrated this time, as well, but, the particular celebration that led eventually to the declaration of the National Holiday was preceded in that year by the burning to death of 120 (approx) Wampanoag People. I cite this only because of the ensuing Holiday, and as an example of the kind of perpetual bitterness such past events can cause.

I never knew that this is how it is viewed from the other side. It makes since though.

The part that I have trouble with in the whole race thing is no one alive had anything to do with these travestes that have been committed through the years. So why blame me? Yes I am white, but I did not have anything to do with history. I try everyday to not see races but people. Everyday I see examples of reverse disremination, and this leads my thoughts to the stereotypes that have been upon us all for years.

Have to get back to work for now. Thank you for the enlightenemnt.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
strange this didn’t happen till oldest aboriginal part of humanity was introduced to alcohol by the white settlers.

strange that we think they are a bad lot when we dug up all their ancient traditional belief structures and cemeteries for uranium and other mines.

strange as in the very badly described issue of "scalping" by the native American Indians that spread around the world that it was originally carried out by the White Settlers on them and was done in turn for revenge.

strange that the entire environment the Aboriginals cared for and nurtured for tens of thousands of years with equal respect and balance, with very little inter communal crime (due to their own society and culture having a near zero offense rate for millennia) is no longer the case after we have subjugated, and destroyed the very foundation of that organized and very very safe until 200 years ago country and society.

strange that in the UK last weekend my friend was mugged by 20 or thirty teenagers in a "civilized" country and by "civilized" native youth, you know with prospects, education, good role models of parents, clean water and housing, access to full health care... well these barbarians also stamped on his head for his mobile phone and trainers....

absolute and complete drivel.... wake up ...read real history and have some understanding of criminology, society and causal influences....

mind you im waiting for the next abo's to go through the streets of Sydney in pick up trucks raping good white women and taking pot shots at the locals...oh sorry no we did that to them on horses first...

also im waiting for the next abo to get a gun in port Arthur and go on an totally uncivilized rampage against innocent people.

no regards

elf
edit for spelling

[edit on 4-12-2006 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
abo's
abo

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CALLING THEM ABO'S

that is racist SLANG.

they are aboriginals, aboriginies or native Australians.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I agree Australia was founded on redneck mentality (genocide, stolen generation).

If you care to read the earlier comments I posted, it should be clear to you that I blame White Australia and the Government for this problem with indigenous Australians. It comes back to mismanagement, finance and making these people feel left out. Yeah left out...they did not even get to vote until 1962, and they still have very little say about their future and the lack infrastructure they live with.

Please do not assume that I or anyone else that contributed to this thread is racist,
you do not know us. I am a third gneration Australian of English and Irish descent and I am disgusted by the anti social behaviour of ALL people in this country whatever their race, colour and creed...even Aussies like myself. To be concerned and voice one's opinion does not make one a racist. Rather, I see the social and moral decay and I even have thoughts about what could be done to make things better...and hey I DO NOT LIKE IT.

This issue is a double edged sword and just because a person is dealt a bad hand in life does not mean they have the right to be a vandal, bash people and make a bloody nuisance of themselves and flaunt their nose at the law. IT COMES BACK TO CHOICE.

By the way, not all indigenous Australians have it so bad...some have jobs and homes (mortgages) and goals they want to achieve in life. They work hard to get there, just like my husband and I have worked hard to provide a home and comfortable surroundings for our 3 sons.

Would you like the rest of us give up our homes, plasma screens and Ikea kitchens so we can be just like the indigenous Australians who are not as fortunate as us? So they will feel more comfortable? How about we get all the fat, rich katz on the North Shore of Sydney to open their homes up and distibute their wealth so they are the same as the working class poor ? Let's make everyone the same...I think that is COMMUNISM yeah ???

Got to go...there is something I wanna watch on my plasma screen

resi

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   

earn a better wage,
take on a night class...
learn a skill...
get a better job..
buy a house...
meet someone,
raise a family...
build your career...

Sorry, but you're not much of a salesman for our superior way of life. Do you realise that our whole system doesn't even make sense to a culture which has coexisted in harmony with our continent for 40,000+ years?

We live in a delusional reality where contaminating an entire ecosystem such as kakadu with radioactive waste is acceptable if it helps the balance of trade. We pollute our lands, rivers, and oceans, we pulp our old growth forests, we make countless species extinct (including an entire race of humans), we wage wars and glorify technology, very few of us have any connection with the greater universe whatsoever, yet we celebrate our progress every January 26. Who do you think has the bigger problem?

Im not saying white australinas arent slack, and live on the street drinking and fighting... but white australians arent blaming everyone else, for something they can do, yet chose not to.
Geez I wonder why aboriginals would want to blame 'white' australia for their problems when we've got so much to offer them like plasma tvs & ikea kitchens.

My solution to this problem is to address the root cause. If we continue to place corporate profits over people and environment, the divide between rich and poor will grow and those on the fringes will flounder and occasionally lash out.

We should completely change our society from a liberal capitalism to an socio-environmental oriented model. A society which cares for the flora, fauna, and people would find ways to implement the enormous potential in all of its citizens. You may scoff, but I'm not joking, if we don't do it, it's game over for humanity.

You should be healing the wounds of our society not rubbing salt into them.

I agree with you that corporate life has ruined this planet.
From waste, to greed, to resources.

But that doesnt change anything in regards to THIS THREAD!

This thread started in regards to the news events of

'' Groups of aboriginals, gang bashing a young asian couple, and a young white male ''

laughing while doing it..

White man did not make them do that.

Yes, we have ruined this country and changed their life.

That does not give them the excuse to go around beating people up because they enjoy it.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia

I agree Australia was founded on redneck mentality (genocide, stolen generation).

I agree,

the key word being 'founded'

Its wrong to label todays people redneck racists for something that happened decades ago.

I am white,
If I saw a young aboriginal boy in the street, starving, bleeding and crying..
I would go up to him and help him, like I would any BLACK, CHINESE or WHITE PERSON!

I stress again this thread is not about REDNECK RACISM!

It is about showing people what is happening in our streets, all to often.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join