It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UCLA Police Taser Student For Not Showing ID W/Video

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
"DON'T TOUCH ME!!!!"

I'm reviewing the video again.

The first few seconds are something else, and I recommend listening to them a few times.

You know, the part where the arrestee screams "DON'T TOUCH ME!!!" repeatedly.

In the video, we're hearing this from quite a long way away.

I wonder what it was like a couple of feet away?

If it seems like I'm giving the cops the benefit of the doubt, it's because I am. I've seen similar scenarios too many times to buy the "martyr ploy" this guy was trying.

I think the tasing issue is worth looking into, but unless something comes out to refute the fact that this guy was being a belligerent jackass who refused to comply with the campus staff and police -- which all accounts and the video seem to support -- it's pretty clear to me how this got to the point that it did.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
"DON'T TOUCH ME!!!!"

I'm reviewing the video again.

The first few seconds are something else, and I recommend listening to them a few times.

You know, the part where the arrestee screams "DON'T TOUCH ME!!!" repeatedly.

If it seems like I'm giving the cops the benefit of the doubt, it's because I am. I've seen similar scenarios too many times to buy the "martyr ploy" this guy was trying.

I think the tasing issue is worth looking into, but unless something comes out to refute the fact that this guy was being a belligerent jackass who refused to comply with the campus staff and police -- which all accounts and the video seem to support -- it's pretty clear to me how this got to the point that it did.

From the Daily Bruin
dailybruin.com...

Neither the video footage nor eyewitness accounts of the events confirmed that Tabatabainejad encouraged resistance, and he repeatedly told the officers he was not fighting and would leave.

Tabatabainejad was walking with his backpack toward the door when he was approached by two UCPD officers, one of whom grabbed the student's arm. In response, Tabatabainejad yelled at the officers to "get off me." Following this demand, Tabatabainejad was stunned with a Taser.

That's from their campus newspaper there.

So he's asked to leave through circumstances which obviously he didn't agree with but he's complying and leaving. The cops put their hands on the guy. He gets angry and yells at them to get off of him as he's leaving... as he's leaving... as he's doing what he's told and leaving... this all could've been averted if the police simply didn't touch him and walked him out. Instead... well you see the results.

No one here is against the police checking him out (although I have issues with the reasons behind it but that's not what's on the table here) the issue here is how this went down and what the actions of the police in doing it. If the cops handcuffed him and threw him in jail for a night, or if the cops handcuffed him and took him outside to further the arrest or investigation, that's fine. However, to taser someone five times in under three minutes while screaming at him to get on his feet in a instution of learning and then threatening other students with the same treatment. I don't see how that's possible to defend.

And this is my favorite part so far.

dailybruin.com...

A snip from the article --

"As the student and the officers were struggling, bystanders repeatedly asked the police officers to stop, and at one point officers told the gathered crowd to stand back and threatened to use a Taser on anyone who got too close.

Laila Gordy, a fourth-year economics student who was present in the library during the incident, said police officers threatened to shoot her with a Taser when she asked an officer for his name and his badge number."

[edit on 17-11-2006 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Legal Static

Cops can legally touch you to perform an arrest.

Screaming at them and resisting arrest, however, has never been legal.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Well, the witnesses seems to agree that the real trouble started when a cop grabbed the kids arm as he was leaving.

This would of-course be before the video started, so I cant know for sure. But it was reported like this by various news sources quoting different witnesses...

Doesn't seem like there's much doubt to give benefits for.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Legal Static

Cops can legally touch you to perform an arrest.

Screaming at them and resisting arrest, however, has never been legal.

When did the arrest start to happen? When he was complying to leave or when the cops grabbed him while he was on his way out? And what exactly was the offense? Complying with UCLA library policy? From all the reports we've gotten so far, he was asked to leave, he was leaving, cops grabbed him, he got angry, and then the cops man-handled him, tased him five times in under three minutes while screaming at him and then threatened on-lookers who were horrified by the display in front of them.

If a police officer told me to do something I disagreed with and I complied with him and then he grabbed me as I was doing what I was told, I'd find it hard to keep some choice words from escaping from my mouth as well.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Tasers are brought into law enforcement as a non-leathal alternative to guns. If tasers were not in existence what would these police officers have done?
Haul the guy out?
Beat him with batons?
Shoot him?
I would like to think that they would just cuff him and pull him out of the library.

Taser are most definitely not non-lethal they are less-lethal ... meaning they are meant to be less lethal than a handun or shotgun but they and several other less-lethal methods (rubber bullets as one example) can very well be lethal.

Tasers in most departments are usable at the same level of force as a baton. Tasers are a great tool for law enforcement, protecting them and criminals. Tasers are in some way meant as an alternative to guns but not in the way most people think of it.

If an officer, by himself, is confronted by a person with a knife/bat/tire iron or other weapon that could easily cause great bodily harm then he should be drawing down (with a gun not a taser) on that person. The only time were a taser would be appropriate against someone like this would be when multiple officers are on scene and several can draw down on him with handguns and one can try to disarm him with the use of a taser.

What are the benefits of tasers ... when you have someone actively resisting and several officers are fighting them to get them into custody the taser can prevent injuries to both the officers and the arressted. So your example of someone hitting an officer and then being taken to the ground, if they are still actively resisting it would be appropriate to taser that person to bring them into compliance. It would also typically be safer than baton strikes to the rib cage.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Community Relations

Originally posted by gekko
Well, the witnesses seems to agree that the real trouble started when a cop grabbed the kids arm as he was leaving.

When cops are called to deal with an unidentified suspect, it is routine and expected for them to secure the suspect to ensure that he doesn't pose a threat to police or anyone else.

They are allowed to grab your arm, slap cuffs on you or use whatever approved police procedures they think are necessary in cases like this.

Based on the video, I don't think the suspect's response was that of a peaceful student who didn't want any trouble.

At least, based on what evidence is available.

Who knows? Maybe there's more to the story.

But I'm not buying the "he's an innocent victim of police abuse" story.

The evidence I've seen does not support that. :shk:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
" UCLA Police Taser Student For Not Showing ID W/Video"

Missleading Title IMO,
anyway.....

Do these Fake campus cops really have permission to use stun guns???

I find that hard to beleive

What I think this comes down to, AND YOU ALL SHOULD LISTEN TO THIS

After Pondering this afternoon I've come to this conclusion:

Without Public notice I think these "Securaty + Cops" have been given authority and Instructions to use this force without hessitation on all US Campus Grounds. Because and soley because of realistic/unrealistic rise in SCHOOL SHOOTINGS!

Am I right or am I wrong?

I think I've hit the nail on the head there.

Theres more to it that Police abusing there power.

Maybe its a conspiracy as no official has Anounced that this force has been autherised in these situations..?

What do you think of that?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor
" UCLA Police Taser Student For Not Showing ID W/Video"

Missleading Title IMO,
anyway.....

Do these Fake campus cops really have permission to use stun guns???

I find that hard to beleive

What I think this comes down to, AND YOU ALL SHOULD LISTEN TO THIS

After Pondering this afternoon I've come to this conclusion:

Without Public notice I think these "Securaty + Cops" have been given authority and Instructions to use this force without hessitation on all US Campus Grounds. Because and soley because of realistic/unrealistic rise in SCHOOL SHOOTINGS!

Am I right or am I wrong?

I think I've hit the nail on the head there.

Theres more to it that Police abusing there power.

Maybe its a conspiracy as no official has Anounced that this force has been autherised in these situations..?

What do you think of that?

For big campuses the cops are usually regular police because big universities are just like cities. There once was a incident with a old girlfriend of mine in Texas where a man broke into her apartment on campus and attempted to rape her. Thank goodness she slammed the panic button and the guy is now sitting in jail. There may be some unfounded fears about school shootings but for the most part campus cops deal with theft, parking disputes, and stuff like that. The stuff normal cops deal with.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

They are allowed to grab your arm, slap cuffs on you or use whatever approved police procedures they think are necessary in cases like this.

Sure, but in your earlier post you were implying that the cop was not touching him when he started yelling...

Just calling you out on that one.

If you condone what the cops did, thats your business, but dont try and twist the story into some bad cops wet dream...

TrentReznor; The cops were real, they work for LAPD, they are not rentacops.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Sum Of All Fears

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
There may be some unfounded fears about school shootings but for the most part campus cops deal with theft, parking disputes, and stuff like that.

Emphasis mine.

Fears about school shootings would be unfounded if they didn't occur.

As it is, they are a veritable media cliche.

It is unreasonable to expect campuses to be secure yet allow unidentified people to do what they want on them.

Especially after 11PM at night.

There have been problems with high-profile campus shootings involving non-students on campus grounds.

Police had no way to know who this guy was without arresting him. They couldn't know if he was a student or not. He could have been a serial killer for all they knew, because he refused to show ID -- as required by law.

Also, without securing and searching him, they couldn't know if he was armed or not. Should they assume he was not?

See also:

Wikipedia: School shootings

Wikipedia: Going postal

Extra credit:

Try walking up to a law enforcement agent of your choice and scream -- at the top of your lungs -- "DON'T TOUCH ME!!!"

Feel free to report your findings here.

[edit on 11/17/2006 by Majic]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Touch And Go

Originally posted by gekko
Sure, but in your earlier post you were implying that the cop was not touching him when he started yelling...

Implying? Let's not make this any more complicated than it already is.

If you think I was implying this, please produce a quote of me doing so.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
MAJIC, I dont call people Nazis etc. to insult them. I draw a comparison between those with extreme attitudes or indifference to those who defend freedom and liberty. Many here are missing the point, the point being that there has been a steep increase in abuse of power by law enforcers. Why do you think I site Wako and such like, tell me where in any Democratic Country in the Western World do law enforcers, shoot, gas and burn their own citizens in the full media spot light other than America, where do snipers shoot chidren in the head.

This site prides itself on denying ignorance, well then dont deny it, there are many parallels with attitudes on this site that are very similar to those in Germany and Russia before and during ww2. I dont know who many times I've read or heard "nuke them rag heads" or lets bomb Iran, were better than them, these are all sentiments shared by those who exhibit extremism and indiference to others. These are not voices in isolation but are an increasing cacophony from those who wish to spread imperealism at any cost and put themselves above all others, sounds familier that dose it not.

To deny that one could become as those of the past is wrong, to do so turns a blind eye at the potential for re-emergence of such views and beliefs. We must be continually on our guard to ensure that such views do not ferment and come to fruition.

The American Goverment has now put in place legislation that if it so wished could label every man, women and child in America a terrorist and a potential threat to the security to the US and its Global Quest. Couple that with the fact that there are so many who will willingly serve the system and carry out the Goverments bidding makes for a frightening future of what was once the Worlds Greatest Democracy.

The WOT has not just been invented to control and rule others outside of America but to achieve the same inside of the US. There are rumours of interment camps etc. across the US, many say its not true, who know's if it is true but one day we will find out wont we. Dose this sound like anywhere else in the world in recent history. Where the people said oh no there are no camps, and if you obey the rules you have nothing to fear, if your patriotic to the cause and denounce those who speak out you'll be ok. Food for thought is it not.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Also, they had no idea if he was armed or not. Should they assume he was not?

For gods sake, he was in handcuffs when they started electrocuting him!

PS: This is in no way a one-liner.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Sum Of All Fears

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
There may be some unfounded fears about school shootings but for the most part campus cops deal with theft, parking disputes, and stuff like that.

Emphasis mine.

Fears about school shootings would be unfounded if they didn't occur.

As it is, they are a veritable media cliche.

It is unreasonable to expect campuses to be secure yet allow unidentified people to do what they want on them.

Especially after 11PM at night.

There have been problems with high-profile campus shootings involving non-students on campus grounds.

Police had no way to know who this guy was without arresting him. They couldn't know if he was a student or not. He could have been a serial killer for all they knew, because he refused to show ID -- as required by law.

Also, they had no idea if he was armed or not. Should they assume he was not?

See also:

Wikipedia: School shootings

Wikipedia: Going postal

Extra credit:

Try walking up to a law enforcement agent of your choice and scream -- at the top of your lungs -- "DON'T TOUCH ME!!!"

Feel free to report your findings here.

So the fact that a student is more likely to win the lottery rather than get shot in a school shooting makes this all okay? I highly doubt the cops in question thought to themselves "Hey! That guy could shoot up the place!" And even if so, that's justification for tasing him five times in under three minutes and threatening those horrified by the display?

With all due respect, it seems you're straying and straining for justifications now.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Innocent question:

does having some authority in this world mean that you have the right to protect your ego and reputation at any cost?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Hit And Run

I've shared my opinions based on what I've seen.

I could be wrong, of course.

But at this point, I think I'm already arguing too many hypotheticals to feel comfortable.

So I'll wait and see what develops in this case.

In the meantime, speculation of all kinds is quite legal on ATS -- as long as we're nice about it.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I've seen similar scenarios too many times to buy the "martyr ploy" this guy was trying.

Sorry if I misunderstood this. What exactly did you mean by this?

No offense meant.

g

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

The UCLA student was hit with the Taser shocks multiple times while he was in the Powell Library Computer Lab.

I guess some you guys don't mind police treating you like dogs........WOOF.... ZAP.....

The more you accept Tasers, then maybe one day "they" will move on to electric human collars to keep students domesticated in school.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Quote of C.Skeptic

I highly doubt the cops in question thought to themselves "Hey! That guy could shoot up the place!"

Thats not what I was Meaning, if thats what your refering to

I was thinking The Government gave instructions to LAPD to use this force without hessitation on anybody who Enters a campus without ID Verification ECT and REFUSES to leave.
Wether or not the police think this person might Have violent intent or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join