It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belmont to be first U.S. city to ban all smoking

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I guess that Cigville is just next to Reefertown with their glamoreus hemp-museum ...

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Wouldnt you all, want to take on the hassle of quitting NOW..
to save your childeren from having the opportunity of this haneous, addictive drug?

I hate walking down the street, seeing a mother on welfare.. her son playing in tattered clothes.. unhealthy..swearing at the kids around him.. watching his mom spend their welfare on a pack of fags...

Christ sake.. it may be hard to admit alreayd.. but its an addiction.
What good do cigerettes bring? so much so that your prepared to DEBATE for them to stay>?

If they did anything REMOTLEY positive for anyone or any concept of civilisation.. you'd have a leg to stand on.

but simeply cause your addicted, and you cant muster enough strength to suffer and quit... doesnt mean my childeren, and my friends childeren should have to endure the putrid cigerette.

I hope they do become outlawed across the globe.
unlikely but i can hope.
banning them in public is a good start..
if you want to smoke, and pollute other peoples breathing space with your foul habbit..
then you should be condemmed to doing it only in your home..
so your childeren can breathe in your 2nd hand smoke.
so your husbands and wives have to taste the air around you.

Thumbs up to belmont.
Thumbs up to anyone who is trying to quit, this is definately a burdon man has placed on itself and congrats to you for realising it, and trying to get off.
Thumbs up to the people that have tried, failed.. yet have the understanding they need to quit.. if not for themselves but for their families lives.

thumbs down to people who believe MY PUBLIC COMMUNITY should have to breathe in your toxic crap.

[edit on 20-11-2006 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
hey dude, don't get me wrong here ... I DO NOT SMOKE, ok, i did smoke some reefer @ college, but I never bought or buy cigarettes ... listen, I'm all against smoking, it's unhealthy, that's clear, I know ... and I totally support a smoke-ban from public buildings and even at workplaces ... this law in Belmont is something else ...

They criminalize a person when they smoke a cigarette in their own living room ... I mean, strictly, if you were in Belmont smoking a cigarette in your living room on your own that would be a CRIMINAL OFFENSE! That's what is bothering me!

By the way, you're portraying smokers like they're the low-life, no-good, poor people ... well I can tell you, there's a lot of CEO's and bankers and people with money that smoke, who are you too judge a person? People have the right to make their own choices ... even if they're wrong.

Don't you think it would be way more logical to ban tobacco-stores and start massive prevention/education-campagnes about smoking so the future generations won't get addicted?

You can't really blame a 50 yo person today when they're addicted to nicotine ... you should see some seventies commercials (and before) and public opinion about smoking back then ... nicotine is propably the most addictive substance, more addictive than heroïn ... it's always easy to judge people ... when you're calling someone a looser, don't forget it's easy to win!

This law in Belmont criminalizes people who are smoning i their own living room on their own with no one around!!! That's plain wrong!

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
apologies, your right kris.

to all the 50yr olds out their that are addicted..

cant you atleast show the world the utterly useless factor these cigerettes bring civilisation?
Cant you tell them that in a second youd rather give it all up, just to quit?
Or maybe youd like the harshest laws on the planet to ensure that young kid outside doesnt have the same fate as you.

I agree, if ur in your own home smoking..
that should be legal.
You should be allowed to kill your whole damn family simply for your addiction if your that hooked.

I thought this law was for outside public use?

and like I said, id love for tobacoo to be outlawed globally..
but damn poltiicans liek the money they receive,to ensure that DOESNT happen.

what a twist f'n society we live in.
and go figure

we're meant to be the smartest race on the planet.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
dude, that's my whole point here!
YOU DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO READ THE LAW!
It implies that when you are own your own in your own house whole alone watching tv, no one around, that of you then would liht a cigarette, that would be a criminal offense and could get you in jail! You are a criminal by law!
That, I think is insane ... and what's that about "we should be the smartest race on Earth" lol did it take you so long to figure out we're not ... I mean, we build machines to kill people on large scale ... the US has over thousands and thousands of nuclear warheads, they use depleted uranium wich contamins whole countries for decades after a conflict ... and that's not even the tip of the iceberg ... I mean, DUH, HUMANS are intelligent, yes, but not very smart ...
By the way, have ou forgot about privacy and freedom of choice, you might as well burn all SUV's they also produce a lot of toxic gasses ... I mean, your arguments make no sense!

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I agree,
why do we need suv's?

my arguments make sense, when you have the whole argument
simply because im not stating Everything on this green earth i dont like doesnt mean it doesnt make sense.

Banning cigerettes will be the best thing that can happen to mankind.

does that make sense?

making smokes illegial will benefit our childeren..

does that make sense?

choosing to continue smoking that cancer stick, that does nothing positive WHAT SO EVER...

that is what makes NO SENSE!

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
hey, not every smoker gets cancer ... it only makes the chances higher ... I just don't think criminalizing a person who chooses to smoke when he's on his own in his own living room is just unrational ...

you might as well say we should criminalize all fast-food ... it's even a greater danger to our health, kids eating MacDonalds and stuff, that's just wrong you might say!

Why don't we arrest all people who buy a MacFat Burger and a gallon of coke ... obesitas is a epidemic today in the US, it's a far more greater threat to our kids health than smoking but you don't see people getting arrested for eating |@ Macfattie ...

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
What good do cigerettes bring? so much so that your prepared to DEBATE for them to stay>?

If they did anything REMOTLEY positive for anyone or any concept of civilisation.. you'd have a leg to stand on.

I pointed this out on page 5, but I'll post it again. Benefits of Smoking

So, every smoker is granted at least 1 leg.

but simeply cause your addicted, and you cant muster enough strength to suffer and quit... doesnt mean my childeren, and my friends childeren should have to endure the putrid cigerette.

And simply because you've decided, and can't muster enough strength for tolerance (or goodness forbid a devil's advocate stance of understanding!).. doesn't mean that you have any right to dictate how others life their lives.
I humbly join in the ranks of considerate smokers -- you are pointing out the inconsiderate selfish smokers. I see a kid and I step out of the way, downwind. (not that it matters.. the kid is, for all intents and purposes, sucking tailpipe!!!)

I see lots of people spending what little money they have on scratch-offs, gambling their paychecks away in some weird dream of becoming a millionaire without working for it. Then, when they're done, they toss it to the ground.
I see welfare mothers spend their money on smokes, giving me food stamps with hands that (literally) have 15 gold rings...
I see people spending food money on sugars and gas station vittles because "real" food is too expensive...

The problems are everywhere. Throw a stone if ye be innocent.
I, personally, have tossed my stone aside because I know it won't help.

No matter what I think should change in society, I see those problems within myself. I cannot throw stones at anyone, without throwing it at myself first. And I can admit that.

The problems society is dealing with stem from twisted of values, lack of education. It's painfully obvious -- and yet, we throw stones without lending a helping hand. Scream at them to change without offering sympathy and compassion.

It is too easy to comdemn, point the finger and blame. It is too easy to cast shame on someone else.. and never turn that finger on oneself.

It's so hard to turn the table and understand, open the heart and mind to another person... It's hard to admit vulnerability -- no matter what side you stand on.

So, as always, we've discovered the problems. Yay for us.

Now, how's about we work towards solving them??

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
any smokers out there want to pitch in and we'll all invest in a city...we'll call it cigville.

That was funny! I'd move into the suburbs, just so I could smell your smoke whenever I wanted to. I could live in "Second-Hand Smokeville"

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
When are they going to criminallize booze? I'd be 100% behind that one.

In fact, i should lobby for that. Those who look at you down their nose because you have a butt in your mouth, are rushing home so they can have their drug of choice- their vodka.
if that isnt bad enough, then they run out and hop in their cars and go get more while innibriated and its my kids out there driving around who may be killed.

There's no comparison.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well, DG they tried that years ago. Didn't work out too well.

I think we've all argued this to death and nobody is going to change anybody's mind on this.

Let's look at this from yet another angle....enforcing this police state of a law. People are aware that the police force is understaffed and crime is getting out of hand, however these petty little laws keep coming up. Tax payers are over-burdened. How are we going to keep crime rates down? Do we really need cigarette police? This is silly.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I think it was Ben Franklin who said he who is willing to give up freedom for the sake of safety deserves neither.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kramthenothing
I think it was Ben Franklin who said he who is willing to give up freedom for the sake of safety deserves neither.

I think it is YoBrandonRaps who is saying that this quote has been beaten to death in this thread.

While I'm all for a ban on smoking in public places, what one does in the privacy of ones home or business is their own...er, business.

A great point has been brought up...with an already understaffed and underpaid police force, how exactly will this be enforced? Are people going to have to call in on their neighbor and report "a smoking"?? Will people be pulled over by an officer while driving down the street because the officer believed the suspect may have been smoking? How far exactly, will this end up going?

As for the litter problem... How about a few politicians take a *GASP* pay cut, and use the money to pay for some more people to clean the parks and other public areas. You could always just hire some illegals...Hell, they'll do anything! (That last part was sarcasm...)

Edit- Me? Fail English? That's unpossible!!!!

[edit on 20-11-2006 by YoBrandonRaps]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Banning cigerettes will be the best thing that can happen to mankind.

Yes, because Prohibition has worked so well in the past

And the so-called War on Drugs is working so well now...

Lets face it, even if it does happen, it's not going to work - it's just going to create a criminal feeding frenzy that makes the urban gang wars of today and those of the Prohibition era look like a day at the park.
You can't fight addictions with criminalization.
Legal sanctions are ultimately ineffective at fighting social problems.

You can pass all the stupid laws you want - you can pass a law that says water should run uphill - see how well that works out for you

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
That's a good idea!

We can name the streets after Marlboro, Salem, Winston etc.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I believe there is a forum on the site that the article being discussed is on...at least there was on the one I read. anyone bother to read the comments in it? many of the responders on that forum (not a happy bunch)..are saying they plan on calling 911 everytime they see someone smoking.....
and well, if the lines are tied up when your house catches on fire...oh well I guess....

there's alot of things people do around me that irratate the crap out of me. heck, I grew up around drunks....now, one rowdy drunk can just about send me into a panic!! and talk about drunk drivers, hey, a good friend of mine's daughter was killed by one!!! as far as I know, the drunk walked scott free. heck, the chlorine in the water will actually do a good enough job on my hands that I will be unable to work for a month or so if I am not careful to medicate them at the first sign of outbreak.

the same people screaming about the second hand smoke probably go and get perms on a regular basis, not caring what that will do to them. or have so much gunk on their face, their bodies, that well, they are having the same effect on themselves and others as second hand smoke does. kids will still be taken to indoor pools for swimming lessons and ignored when they tell them that they aren't feeling well, cars will still run through smog ridden cities, even though it's been found that the kids in those cities have lungs that aren't developing normally....

but, by all means....let's try to control what the smokers do in their own house!!
it's insane, just like society has become insane!! do away with the smokers, and I bet that they will find something else to target, another group of scapegoats, something else that should be given up...in the name of good health..
but they'll still be throwing crap into your food, into your air, and into your water....and not much will be done...because that is how a profit hungry society works!

it boils down to one simple thing. I go to work, I am in contact with crap that harms my health. I walk down the street, and have to breethe a ton of toxins from peoples cars. I have to eat, drink some kind of liquid, and well, shall we discuss the crap in those things? and then there's the drugs, the government, and all kinds of neat crap!!! it's simple.....I am not a slave to society where they can do whatever kind of damage they feel like, but then, feel my body is theres and therefore I can't do a little damage myself to it! unless you want me screaming, kicking, and pitching a fit about all those irratating things that your present into my world.....leave me alone!

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   
There is a bigger issue here. If you can tell someone they can't smoke, then what else will the authorites be able to tell you is illegal? There are tons of risks we take every day from the moment we walk out the door to the time we go to bed. For all we know there could be an airplane falling toward your house while you sleep. Now we can bubble wrap everything, and make super-certain that we never get into harms way, but how is this life?

We can ban sky diving, rock climbing, racing, parties, rock concerts, cupcakes, sharp knives, paintball guns, cars , trucks, airplanes, televisions, rollercoasters, and on and on, but these are the things of life. Sure, every one of these things I listed could destroy your body, or even kill you, but are we supposed to make them all illegal to keep ourselves safe? Personally, I do like to take care of my body for the main part, but that doesn't stop me from hitting the bars on Saturday night sometimes. If you should decide to drink, then drink responsibly, that's all. If you smoke, don't blow smoke in the asthmatic kids face, fair enough? Taking care of your body is important, but I don't necessarily think you have to be so strict as to never eat a slice of cake. But, it is completely ok if you want to completely stay away from harmfull things like cigarettes and junk food. That's fine too. I'm not saying that 2 packs of cigarettes a day is a good thing though. Just don't hurt someone else with your cigarettes. Perhaps the best thing is to never smoke? But I think a person has the right to smoke if he choses to do so.

Let's not classify cigarettes with Crack Cocain, there is a big difference.

Troy

[edit on 23-11-2006 by cybertroy]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I think that new "Christian City" in Florida is not going to allow smoking or drinking once it is completed.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Can anyone provide a copy of a death certificate with "second-hand smoke" or "smoking" as a primary cause of death?

Hmm...

No takers? That's because you can't. You cannot prove that if you smoke or even inhale second hand smoke that it is directly linked to your illness or death. The "possibility" exists, but not a direct cause. If that were the case then every person who ever smoked or ever inhaled second hand smoke would be allowed to sue and would win every case. And that is simply not reality. Period.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I wonder why they would do that for vehicles. When I smoke I take a large drag, hold it, and blow out usually less heavy smoke. I am not sure that when driving my car on the highway, blowing murky smoke out of my window is such a bad thing. It isnt affecting anyone but myself. If they passed that kind of law in my state, I would rip the filter of a Marlboro Red, light up, and blow my smoke right in the mayor's face. Not only that, I would have to go home to have my well deserved smoke break. They already took away smoking in resturaunts, what next???

[edit on 5-12-2006 by Ford Farmer]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join