It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belmont to be first U.S. city to ban all smoking

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes

[url=http://www.whoschoosing.org.uk/smoking/environment.htm]
Many poorer countries use wood to dry tobacco and have to cut down many trees to do this. In countries where wood is used for cooking and heating then if it is also used to dry tobacco, there is less for the people to use to cook their food and heat their homes.

First of all, this is really stretching it. They have to cut down more trees because they can't reuse the wood. So, if they can't reuse the wood, what happens to it? It goes to the people to cook their food and heat their homes. If it doesn't, it should. Problem solved.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by yanchek

Originally posted by selfless
It's the smoker who's doing the harm not the victim.

Nonsmokers are smokers too.

They are called drivers.

This thread is about smoking not driving, if you want to make a thread about air polution ill gladly be on the side of nature.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
If trillions of those things end up on the ground every year, tell me now, how many is that over the course of 70 years?

Not many since they are made to be biodegradable. That means they won't be around then. I'm not sure but I think cig butts biodegrade in a couple of years.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
hopefully smoking will be bled out of society..
being forced to take a walk on your own, away from the 'party'

fair enough, people who smoke are outraged... this is unfair.

but wouldnt you.. want your childerens childeren.. never to have the opportunity to start up that disgusting, expensive, life threatening habbit.

what good does smoking do mankind? what advantage as a race are we given?
but how does it affect us, our ability to enjoy life?

it kills us!

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Smoking should be banned throughout the entire world.

Its your right to smoke correct... because you have the phyiscal ability to put a cancerstick into your mouth, its your right.

Well, its my right to physically place my hands around your neck squeeze until u go limp too...

I am not a violent man, but with your attitude, I'd like to see you try that on me.

The right to kill someone because they don't adhere to your thought process? Thank you Joseph Stalin (I think everyone's tired of Hitler comparisons) ... However, and BTW... Hitler just so happens to have been a staunch anti-smoker. So, I don't think being a non-smoker justifies any moral high ground on your part.

just because you have the CHOICE to do something, doesnt mean its your RIGHT!

That's right! It is obviously better that my rights as a smoker take the hindmost seat to your right to dictate how I live my life!

smoking hurts the people AROUND YOU.
Its a DRUG, an ADDICTIVE DRUG that affects your body.

If you yell anything long enough and loud enough, I guess you'll get people believing it enough to dictate how everyone else has to conform to their paradigm.

The only reason cigerettes are still legal, is because they provide governments with enough funding during elections, to ensure when they are elected they dont allow any laws to pass putting pressure on their nice fat incomes.

And from what scientific study did you manage to draw this obviously patent fact?

Your right smoking is your choice, but after you've done it for 30yrs, and your trying to stop.. how many of you say '' damn, I wish I never started it has changed my life ''

Not all of them, I can assure you.

Thumbs up the Belmont, they have taken a risk of angering voters here, but after they lose the addictive nature for these cancer sticks, the people will turn a leaf and thank them for giving them back a healthy life style.

Yeah! Yip! Yip! Yahoo! They are doing something that bends everyone else to your will and vision of how life must be in order for you to be happy. How about if they had banned tennis shoes and red shirts?

When your given one life on the planet, one chance to love your childeren, watch them grow.. one life to be happy and learn as much as you can.. why are you willing to diminish it just so you can have a fag?

Ever enjoyed a cheeseburger?

just so you can Stink...
have yellow teeth,
messy skin...
mucasy filled lungs..
brittle hair...
empty wallet...

You mean like the Manson fans that hang for endless hours and days at the mall?

yeah.. how dare they ban cigerettes.. its my right to kill myself.

Actually, in a valid and just society, from a strictly philosophical point of view ... It is just and lawful for someone to do anything they want insofar as it causes no harm to another human being.

well go do it somewhere out of sight so we dont have to suffer while you do.

Um... Yeah... I imagine your kids love you with that kind of attitude. If you don't already have them, you might consider acquiring some compassion and consideration for others as well as demanding it for yourself.

Your paradigm appears to me to be slightly deluded, and stilted enough that I sure wouldn't vote for you for public office. But, in the meantime ... I think I'll skulk down to my basement and enjoy a cigarette, where no one can see me doing something so evil that you would enjoy choking me until I go limp.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Screw this. I love marlboro. Im gonna go live on Mars or something so I can smoke in peace.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I find it interesting that the same people who post about fascism, police states, and governmental control are the same ones who actually say the government should ban smoking in its entirety!

I am a smoker, but I have never minded when they banned smoking in restaurants, shopping centers, etc. I don't agree with a government ban on it, but if the private owners don't want smoking in their establishment that's within their rights and I respect that. Smoke does seep into the carpeting, walls and furniture and I don't blame them for wanting to protect their investments. I just don't think the government should be telling the owners of these establishments that they HAVE to ban it.

I also think it is outrageous that they are banning it from condos and your own vehicle!!! When I read that I was so angry! They have no right to tell you what you can or can't do in your own car as long as it is not impairing your ability to drive. As far as condos go, that is a place that you bought. It is your property and unless it was established as a non-smoking condo when you bought it, they shouldn't tell you that all of a sudden the rules have changed.

I also don't understand why you can't smoke outside. You're not going to get cancer because the smoke dissapates in the wind. There are far many other things that will make you sick than that. And the non-smokers can always go somewhere where you aren't smoking.

I will NEVER agree with a law that the government creates that takes away the freedom to do what we want to do on our own property.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The ones that smokes want to be able to smoke and the ones who don't smoke don't want to have smoke in their face, it's not hypocracy.

The difference between the 2 is that the ones who don't smoke are not harming them selves or anyone around them.

It's not for supporting the government but to support a better state of living and a better planet.

No hypocracy here.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by closettrekkie
I find it interesting that the same people who post about fascism, police states, and governmental control are the same ones who actually say the government should ban smoking in its entirety!

I am a smoker, but I have never minded when they banned smoking in restaurants, shopping centers, etc. I don't agree with a government ban on it, but if the private owners don't want smoking in their establishment that's within their rights and I respect that. Smoke does seep into the carpeting, walls and furniture and I don't blame them for wanting to protect their investments. I just don't think the government should be telling the owners of these establishments that they HAVE to ban it.

I also think it is outrageous that they are banning it from condos and your own vehicle!!! When I read that I was so angry! They have no right to tell you what you can or can't do in your own car as long as it is not impairing your ability to drive. As far as condos go, that is a place that you bought. It is your property and unless it was established as a non-smoking condo when you bought it, they shouldn't tell you that all of a sudden the rules have changed.

I also don't understand why you can't smoke outside. You're not going to get cancer because the smoke dissapates in the wind. There are far many other things that will make you sick than that. And the non-smokers can always go somewhere where you aren't smoking.

I will NEVER agree with a law that the government creates that takes away the freedom to do what we want to do on our own property.

Having lived in California long enough it seems normal for there to be no smoking in restaurants. I have to say, as a smoker, that I find the environment nicer in a smoke free restaurant. When travelling there are times that you can be in the "non smoking" section but if they're enough smoking going on the whole restaurant smells.

I don't smoke in my vehicle because I don't want my vehicle to have that ashtray smell everytime I get into it. But I don't think it should be illegal for anyone to smoke within the confines of their vehicle. I totally undestand non-smokers not wanting to be bothered with the smell of smoke; however, being at a park and smoking is not ruining the enjoyment of the park for anyone that is more than 15 ft away.

How hard is it to share our public spaces with our fellow man?

As far as the arguemnt of all the litter. People need to be more responsible for their actions. Littering is a crime in most places and I think the cigarette butts would fall well within that realm. Using this logic if we start finding a lot of fast food and candy wrappers at parks then those cities can outlaw consuming those foods in said parks.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

The ones that smokes want to be able to smoke and the ones who don't smoke don't want to have smoke in their face, it's not hypocracy.

The original post of this thread cited the fact that the residents, under this new ban, aren't even allowed to smoke in their cars. How exactly does that affect you if we smoke in our cars?

The difference between the 2 is that the ones who don't smoke are not harming them selves or anyone around them.
Those who smoke outside are harming no one else so that point is invalid.

It's not for supporting the government but to support a better state of living and a better planet.

You conveniently leave out: "..at the expense of your personal freedoms." You know what that's called? Tyranny.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Here in Ohio we put issue 5 a public smoking ban (restaurants, public places and workplaces) on the ballet and it was approved by a large percentage.

Yes 64.10% For the Public Smoking Ban
No 35.90% Against the Public Smoking Ban

It wasn't even close. Democracy in action. Both myself and my wife who is a registered nurse and works in children’s hospital with kids with cancer voted YES for it.

The majority of people just don't want to be around smokers anymore. We don't want our clothes to smell like smoke because we decided to go out for the night. We don't want to smell other people’s cigarettes or have smoke in our faces. We don't want to see smokers throwing their trash on the ground (I don't want to see anyone throw trash on the ground btw). To me, smokers are on the same level as the guy in a restaurant who is yelling into his cell phone.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Correct,
But you drinking alcohol next to me wont affect me.
I couldnt care less what your addicted to, as long as your addiction doesnt impact me whiel your using it.
Coffee and caffiene do not have the same addicting ability of cigerettes.
Comparing coffee to cigerettes doesnt work...
If I drink coffee every day for 50yrs.. I wont die a horrible death.
but If I smoke cigerettes every day for 50yrs.. what do you believe the outcome?

Keep your cigerettes, but smoke them in your own houise.. so its only your fmaily that suffers from your addiction.

Your drinking would affect me if you were drunk, took off from the bar, and killed my wife and son.

It is the store owner's choice if they want people to smoke in their establishment. If you don't like it, you don't HAVE to go there. You can't tell Burger King to stop selling whoppers because it disgusts you to see someone eating one when you go to their restaurants.

Lastly, if you drink coffee every day for fifty years, you might not die, but your teeth will be about the color of corn. Secondly, if you smoked one cigarette a day for fifty years, I doubt you would die a horrible death, as long as you took care of yourself by eating healthy an exercising.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

No hypocracy here.

So basically what you're saying is it's not hypocritical to be spouting about police states and govermental control as long as it agrees with your little world? That is what I meant by hypocracy, not the fact that there are smoker and non-smokers disagreeing.

And how is smoking in my car hurting you?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
To me, smokers are on the same level as the guy in a restaurant who is yelling into his cell phone.

Which was PRECISELY my point. Smoking is hazardous to your health just like a screaming kid on an airplane is hazardous to my health.

But this is NOT the point of this Belmont case... the point is whether or not smokers should be banned from smoking in their homes or cars, outside in the open, where they're hurting no one else.

I have no problem with restaurants, bars etc. banning smoking. But if you smoke outside, it's not hurting anyone else. Don't like it? Find somewhere else to be... which is exactly what you would do if there was a little kid next to you that wouldn't shut up.

[edit on 17-11-2006 by firebat]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lakewoodrealtor
What is next citys banning food with fat?

I assume you haven't heard about the transfats upcoming ban for resturants in NYC.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Oddly enough this is something I had a pretty heated discussion with a family member about....

I live in Boston, and walk a majority of the way to work every day. I do not smoke, honestly it just doesn't appeal to me. I don't have a problem with people smoking, it's their right. What I do have a problem with is walking to work EVERY morning, I get stuck behind three or four people who decide to enjoy a cancer stick on their walk to work. Now, I find this smell absolutely revolting and to be honest it makes me a little nauseus and light-headed. Just because joe scmhoe want a drag on his way to work on public property means that I now, start my day with a headache, smelling like trash, and generally irritated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for letting people do their thing and slowly kill themselves...but please don't kill me thanks. Keep it to your private places...smoking lounges, your cars, homes, little section of wherever....
That's how I believe it should be.

It is your right to do what you will with your body...but it's also my right to do what I want to do with mine. It's my right to BREATHE FRESH AIR

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Benefits of smoking

Had to dig deep to find that one... *lots* of good info tho.

Private property is private - do what you will.

I smoke. It was my choice, I'm aware that it *might* kill me. (I'm also aware of the ga-zillion pollutants put into the atmosphere everyday, so the question is: which one will reach me first?)

Fine, y'all want me to smoke elsewhere. Fine. I'll do that -- give me a place to do it. I can't smoke on the beach, but over here, in the designated smoking area, I can. *That* is fair, and I will abide by that.

See, they just took away all the designated smoking areas at my college campus in an effort to push the smokers away. It didn't do anything, other than cause *more* trash because now there were no ashtrays.

I agree that the filters are no good.. I'll smoke out of a pipe. I have one, and it does not bother me to do so. At least I'm not litering.

The part that gets me tho is the additives -- tobacco by itself doesn't kill. It's the crap the co's put in it that is worse.. But, it's illegal to grow your own tobacco plants. *That* is a shame. I might actually cut down if I had to wait for the plant to mature... ((but, then the pharms. wouldn't make as much money selling me 'cures'.... I'd hate to not help the rich elite get richer!!))

Smoking around kids is bad because their systems are not fully developed. I understand that, and will quit when I decide I am ready for children. Until then, I choose to smoke. And when I have children, I will tell them that I smoked, the same as my family did for me. I am not ashamed of my choices, because they are mine. My choices, my mistakes.

**If we are serious about getting rid of everything that affect's everyone's health, then we need to clean up A LOT -- from the water, the food, the air... nevermind the products lining shelves. If this were a measure towards some greater end, I'd work with it.

P.S. My children will be allowed to make their own educated opinions, and their own mistakes. That is, afterall, what life is about.
Tell me, order me, what to do with my children... and I'll tell you, nay order you, where to go....

[edit on 17-11-2006 by Diseria]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm 50/50 on the decision, mainly cause I use to smoke, smoked for 15 years.. mostly lights, but only cause I enjoyed smoking. Then I quit and it was tough, always craving, like a drug, always needing that fix, then I started back up again, figure the ease now will out weigh the pain later... then my mom died, then I quit 2 weeks later, then 2 months after that I lit up a smoke for new years eve to say goodby to that year, and that was the last smoke I had, 2 years later, still smoke free, still addicted, still wanting a puff, but I can't walk behind smokers now, I can't drive behind them either, cause the smell makes me sick. I stopped going to bars cause I would come home smelling like an ashtray, I didn't smell it when I smoked, but my yellow fingers, dingy teeth and smelly clothes said otherwise. I'm glad they are trying to ban smoking in all public areas, especially bars and resturants. Here in Colorado we passed the smoking ban for all bars and resturants.. finally I can go back and enjoy the environment I had enjoyed while smoking, not knowing the differnce.. but yet, people always complain, they always will. Life-Time-Non-Smokers aren't as bad as Once-Smoked-Quited-Smokers.. I never understood the reason, now I do.

So, /cheers to the bans - since that's my right to do/say.

I just hope some day the government will realize that the other leafy green can make them more money if made legal and it just might cure alot of ailments folks have. But that may never happen, cause of the mind control of the, "This is your Brain, This is your Brain on Drugs" advertise ments...... ya well, what about, "This is your Lungs, This is your Lungs on Cigarettes"... that never ever ever hit the air waves of tv land. Cause as others have stated the income from that feeds the rich, government.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by closettrekkieI will NEVER agree with a law that the government creates that takes away the freedom to do what we want to do on our own property.
I agree 100% If my choice is to restart smoking, I have that right... as much as (atm) I don't ever want to.. There's another Quote that comes to mind by Benjamin Franklin: "He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither". And sometimes Security means banning the joys of Freedom.. some freedom is smoking on their break to get away from the drama in work, shcool, life.

[edit on 17/11/2006 by wyldwylly]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join