Belmont to be first U.S. city to ban all smoking

page: 1
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This is a huge outrage! i cant believe that anyone would let this happen. Isnt it our right to smoke? I mean we can drink (i believe is equally as bad) What is next citys banning food with fat?




The Belmont City Council voted unanimously last night to pursue a strict law that will prohibit smoking anywhere in the city except for single-family detached residences. Smoking on the street, in a park and even in one’s car will become illegal and police would have the option of handing out tickets if they catch someone


Non Smoking City




posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lakewoodrealtor
This is a huge outrage! i cant believe that anyone would let this happen. Isnt it our right to smoke?

Um, no.
Contrary to what people think, you don't have the right to do whatever you want in public places. THis ordinance doesn't outlaw cigarettes. Its up to the public to decide how public space is used, and in that town, they've decided that people shouldn't be allowed to smoke in those public spaces.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
To me, this is unequallity at it's best. If cities/states want there to be no smoking, they need to offer the smokers a place to go to smoke. Either that or let every smoker work from home.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Contrary to what people think, you don't have the right to do whatever you want in public places.


It is also not the right of a government to dictate to PRIVATE business owners what they can and can not allow in their places of business (legal of course).



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Smoking should be banned throughout the entire world.

Its your right to smoke correct... because you have the phyiscal ability to put a cancerstick into your mouth, its your right.

Well, its my right to physically place my hands around your neck squeeze until u go limp too...

just because you have the CHOICE to do something, doesnt mean its your RIGHT!

smoking hurts the people AROUND YOU.
Its a DRUG, an ADDICTIVE DRUG that affects your body.

The only reason cigerettes are still legal, is because they provide governments with enough funding during elections, to ensure when they are elected they dont allow any laws to pass putting pressure on their nice fat incomes.

Your right smoking is your choice, but after you've done it for 30yrs, and your trying to stop.. how many of you say
'' damn, I wish I never started it has changed my life ''

Would you WANT it to of been illegial back then?
Thumbs up the Belmont, they have taken a risk of angering voters here, but after they lose the addictive nature for these cancer sticks, the people will turn a leaf and thank them for giving them back a healthy life style.

When your given one life on the planet, one chance to love your childeren, watch them grow.. one life to be happy and learn as much as you can.. why are you willing to diminish it just so you can have a fag?

just so you can Stink...
have yellow teeth,
messy skin...
mucasy filled lungs..
brittle hair...
empty wallet...

yeah.. how dare they ban cigerettes.. its my right to kill myself.

well go do it somewhere out of sight so we dont have to suffer while you do.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Why so hostle?

I guess you feel the same way about everything else that MIGHT happen to you also. "Oh look, I could get run over by a bus tomorrow"...answer...let's ban busses. Doesn't sound like a good arguement to me.

I guess you don't drink alcohol, breath (yes, air pollution is far worse than a bit of second hand smoke), walk down the street, own a gun etc., etc.?



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
[edit on 16-11-2006 by Agit8dChop]



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
No, you are wrong.

2nd Hand cigerette smoke is different to a bus driving down the street.

When I leave home, I take the risk of being hit by a bus.

When someone lights up a cigerette when im around, they know as well as I know, that the smoke they are putting into the immediate air, is affecting the people around them.
If you want to smoke, do it at home.
I came and sat in this nice enjoyable sunshine to enjoy the fresh air, not have to breathe in your toxic crap that your addicted to.
Mayeb smoking shouldnt be outlawed ALL TOGETHER, but if you want to smoke do it in your house, so it only affects YOUR LIFE, YOUR HOME, YOUR FAMILY!

when people enjoy their community they dont want to be breathing in someones disgusting smoke, because that person chooses to slowly kill themselves...

whats even worse is they are paying, for the their own slow death.

this isnt something to be enjoyed, its something ot be banned.

Making a consumable ADDICTIVE, that knowingly kills people.. should not be legal in any way shape or form.

hostile because people fly of the 'sane' argument are relate buses , fatty foods to cigerettes.

alchohol may ruin lives, but its not ADDICTIVE.. it doesnt affect the people around me, and people can be REFUSED it when they have had to much.
Can you see a cigerette company saying '' no no no, you've had a pack today already.. better slow down ''

When I eat a hamburger, its not affecting the person next to me.
When I leave my house and walk, its a RISK a car will hit me.

But When I light up a cigerette, in public.. everyone around me has to suffer with me...
I know it kills people, I know its gross yet I still do it, because im ADDICTED!

answer:
remove addiction!

plain and simple!

[edit on 16-11-2006 by Agit8dChop]

[edit on 16-11-2006 by Agit8dChop]

[edit on 16-11-2006 by Agit8dChop]


Edn

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think its the right thing to do. Smoking has been banned in Scotland for a while now and although smokers were a little upset at first its actually benefited the country quite well. A lot More people are trying to quit, public places smell a lot better
and if the good trend continues there should be a lot less cancer victims because of it.

lakewoodrealtor contrary to what you might think, fats are good for you as is alcohol if there taken in moderation (unfortunately most people are simply greedy pigs) but theres nothing remotely good for you or others around you in smoking.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
If you want to smoke, do it at home.


I have to ask. Have you ever been addicted to a drug? It's not as easy as just doing it at home. I smoke a good 8-10 cigerrettes a day while at work....yes I know that takes time but I also don't take a lunch hour because of it. Anyway, I'm not walking home 8-10 times a day to smoke a cigarrette.

BTW, we are going smoke free January 1st. I plan on quiting by then, but it is a very hard thing to do.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I admire you for trying to quit, you will succeed thumbs up and you will immediately realise the benefits.

I have been addicted before, I know what its like.

But, i just decided thats it.
Its my life, I want to be happy with my kids and my family in the decades to come.
I look in the mirror saw myself and went jesus.. how could anyone love that?..

I made myself feel like absolute crap... so that when i wanted something.. i remmeber how bad I felt because i knew my life was going to #... and it gave me inspiration to just keep going that little more.

Im not saying u should walk home, but how about you have a cranky month.
warn your co - workers.. its time u helped urself.
if ur angry cranky and loud.. just ignore you because your quitting.
instead of going outside for that fag... how abotu you take some gym clothes to work, jog around the block with headfones on... make a nice salad sandwhich and eat it while walking through your neighborhood saying hi to everyone you pass.

See this is the problem, you want to quit..
wouldnt you of rather never had the ability to get addicted in the first place?

If they ban it compeltely in the world, think of all the kids of today that will never have to suffer getting off their addiction!



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
See this is the problem, you want to quit..
wouldnt you of rather never had the ability to get addicted in the first place?

If they ban it compeltely in the world, think of all the kids of today that will never have to suffer getting off their addiction!


See this is the problem. I understand what you are getting at but they are not making ciggarrettes illegal. They are making the smoking of the cigs illegal. Kids can still buy cigs. Wasn't that the point of making it 18 to buy tobbacco in the first place? But I guess that didn't help?



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
mayeb so people can smoke in their homes if they are that addicted.

IE marijuana.

Its illegial, you cant grow it, smoke it or anything.
But out of mind out of site.

I can still go and buy a bong, and some seeds of the net.. grow a pot plant in my garden and smoke a joint now n then if that was the drug of my choice.
but if i walked outside... then its a whole lotta WHOOOBANG!

I do get what ya saying, it sorta cancels itself out but..

smokings illegial, but please... buy some cigerettes...
maybe they are trying to catch people out, more income for hte police force eh
' wink wink '

Maybe they are unable to BAN the sale of an item the country permits.
Maybe they realise its they'd have to enforece border restrictions to ensure people dont bring them into the state?

simply banning it in public sight is the best option, because it forces people to smokin in their homes, thus making it inconvenient, and sort of influencing people to quit on their own merrits.


Edn

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Griff I hope your successful at quiting smoking. If not maybe you'll have a heart attack it worked great for my uncle stopped smoking just like that although a year after he quit he suffered heat failure and died because of the cigarettes he hadn't smoked for over a year.

Thats why I'm all for a ban on smoking its not you that suffers when your dead its everyone else you left behind.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
thank god i dont live in one of these opressive countries/regimes...



"zen faschists will control you,
100% natural,
you will jog for the master race,
and always wear a happy face,..."
DK

california uber alles !!!



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by born_to_be_wired
thank god i dont live in one of these opressive countries/regimes...



"zen faschists will control you,
100% natural,
you will jog for the master race,
and always wear a happy face,..."
DK

california uber alles !!!


having citizens health in mind means america is opressive?
talk about a leap.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Smoking should be banned throughout the entire world.

Its your right to smoke correct... because you have the phyiscal ability to put a cancerstick into your mouth, its your right.

Well, its my right to physically place my hands around your neck squeeze until u go limp too...

just because you have the CHOICE to do something, doesnt mean its your RIGHT!

smoking hurts the people AROUND YOU.
Its a DRUG, an ADDICTIVE DRUG that affects your body.

The only reason cigerettes are still legal, is because they provide governments with enough funding during elections, to ensure when they are elected they dont allow any laws to pass putting pressure on their nice fat incomes.

Your right smoking is your choice, but after you've done it for 30yrs, and your trying to stop.. how many of you say
'' damn, I wish I never started it has changed my life ''

Would you WANT it to of been illegial back then?
Thumbs up the Belmont, they have taken a risk of angering voters here, but after they lose the addictive nature for these cancer sticks, the people will turn a leaf and thank them for giving them back a healthy life style.

When your given one life on the planet, one chance to love your childeren, watch them grow.. one life to be happy and learn as much as you can.. why are you willing to diminish it just so you can have a fag?

just so you can Stink...
have yellow teeth,
messy skin...
mucasy filled lungs..
brittle hair...
empty wallet...

yeah.. how dare they ban cigerettes.. its my right to kill myself.

well go do it somewhere out of sight so we dont have to suffer while you do.



It's people like you that tries to dictate to others their rights in this country.

How dare you tell me if I can smoke or not smoke.

I could care less what you think about smoking!

If I want to stink, chew tobacco, have brittle teeth, die from lung cancer , thats my right in a so called FREE country.

Does your not smoking make YOU a better person than me?

HELL NO!

Just stay out of my way or I may blow some smoke in your face......



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Your right.
But when your smoke affects my health.
You'd better believe Im going to stand up.

I dont care if you choose to kill yourself, thast your right.
but you have no right to assist in killing me!
And when your out smoking in the park, or on the street, people have to walk through your cloud of toxic crap.
people have to endure your rudness by smoking in public.

smoke at home.
save us the cancer!

[edit on 16-11-2006 by Agit8dChop]



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lakewoodrealtor
This is a huge outrage! i cant believe that anyone would let this happen. Isnt it our right to smoke? I mean we can drink (i believe is equally as bad) What is next citys banning food with fat?


hold on

smoking causes harm to the smoker AND everyone around them, just when you use the products moderately

drinking only harms others if you do illegal things, such as drunk driving



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
People have smoked for hundreds of years in this county and all of sudden a person is treated like they have AIDS or LEPROSY .

That's what I see wrong with this.

My Dad smoked for 73 years and he never became sick from it and no one in my family was affected by it.

These people that are so against smoking give the impression that they are so "PURE" and lily white and that they are "perfect".

This attitude will not get the haters of smoking anywhere.

At the most, it will cause rebellion when smokers are forced into a corner.





new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join