It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla`s Wireless Technology To go Mainstream?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
MIT researchers have released details of a system they call 'Evanescent coupling' which allows electrical applications to run without wires. This technique could soon be applied to all household/office electronics such as PCs,radios,TVs etc. The system involves splitting the two transformer coils apart,so that one resides at the wall socket(the primary) while the other coil is inside the device and "recieves" the electromagnetic energy through the air.

www.newscientisttech.com
A phenomenon called "evanescent coupling" could allow electronic gadgets to start charging themselves as soon as their owner walks into their home or office.

Researchers have been looking for a way to make a wireless charger for some time. One idea is to use electromagnetic induction – passing an electric current through a coil to create a magnetic field that induces a current in a neighbouring coil. Instead, Marin Soljacic at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology wants to use evanescent coupling, which allows electromagnetic energy "trapped" in a charging device to be tapped by a "drain" mobile device if the two have the same resonant frequency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Finally...This sort of technology is getting some attention.
Electrical visionary Nikola Tesla created systems very similar to this one hundred years ago.His work on EM induction and resonant frequencies are on of the main factors in the success of todays "electric" world.
He found that a current could jump through the air and light bulbs across the room.
He was even rumoured to have had an automobile which used this type of technology.
At the time he was ridiculed by many of his peers-although I believe the reason for this was because Tesla was in a different league to any other scientist of his era(and maybe of todays era too).
When Tesla spoke the words:

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”

He was speaking the truth.
The guy was actually working on a charged particle beam weapon-in the 1930s!
Its taken the rest of the world a century to catch up with him.
Better late than never...

[edit on 16-11-2006 by Silcone Synapse]

[edit on 2006-11-16 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Not 100 years ago... in the 20-30s. Anyway, it would be great!!

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yep, more than 100 years ago.

In June 1902, Tesla moved his laboratory operations from his Houston Street laboratory to Wardenclyffe. However, in 1903, when the tower structure was near completion, it was still not yet functional due to last-minute design changes that introduced in an unintentional defect. When Morgan wanted to know "Where can I put the meter?", Tesla had no answer. Tesla's vision of free power did not agree with Morgan's worldview.

en.wikipedia.org...

Since then we should've been having wireless electricity.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Someone told me wireless electricity was impossible. Everyone would be shocked.

I was shocked, someone would say that.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
What is puzzling me about this system,is how they achieve variable coupling ability.
I mean,how will the devices be able to operate say,right near the wall transformer and still work across the room.
I understand that the two parts of the coil need to be tuned to the same resonance,but in my small and yet unfinished Tesla coil,the coupling is not variable.
That means that the primary coil has to be at the correct distance from the secondary with very little margin for error,to resonate.
Maybe they acheived this by tuning the coils to a super high frequency.
Any Ideas?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Isn't it unhealthy to live near high power lines because they tend to discharge ??? level of electricity into the area around the power lines?

Childhood cancer in relation to distance from high voltage power lines in England and Wales: a case-control study

Conclusions: There is an association between childhood leukaemia and proximity of home address at birth to high voltage power lines, and the apparent risk extends to a greater distance than would have been expected from previous studies. About 4% of children in England and Wales live within 600 m of high voltage lines at birth. If the association is causal, about 1% of childhood leukaemia in England and Wales would be attributable to these lines, though this estimate has considerable statistical uncertainty. There is no accepted biological mechanism to explain the epidemiological results; indeed, the relation may be due to chance or confounding.

The electric power system produces extremely low frequency electric and magnetic fields. Since 1979 there has been concern that these fields may be associated with cancer.1 Concern has concentrated on magnetic rather than electric fields and on childhood leukaemia in particular. A pooled analysis of nine studies that met specified quality criteria found that children living in homes with 24 hour average fields of 0.4 µT have twice the risk of leukaemia.2 In 2001 the International Agency for Research on Cancer classified extremely low frequency magnetic fields as "possibly carcinogenic" on the basis of "limited" epidemiological evidence and "inadequate" evidence from animals.

Magnetic fields in homes arise mainly from low voltage distribution wiring, house wiring, and domestic appliances. Only a small fraction of homes are close to high voltage overhead power lines (transmission lines), but in these homes the power line is likely to be the main source of magnetic field.

So, wouldn't trying to actually send electricity through the air have the potential to cause health problems?

What is being discharged thru high power lines into the surrounding area is accidental and not meant to power electrical devices.

So wouldn't large amounts of electricity discharged into an area in amounts to actually power devices be harmful to peoples health also?

[edit on 16/11/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Its called a Tesla coil and it is one of the easiest and quickest ways of bringing the feds down on your ass (or was) without threatening to blow something up. Why? It totally scrambles circuitry anywhere within range of it. Build a small one and turn it on near, not only your computer but anything electrical and watch what happens. All the appliances will go haywire whether they are plugged in or on or not and your computer will become a very expensive door stop. There are photos of Tesla holding unattached (to anything) florescent bulbs glowing as brightly as if they had been hard wired right into a power plant. It (broadcasting power) probably will not happen in this century because it will require retrofitting EVERYTHING from scratch!!!

[edit on 16-11-2006 by grover]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Interesting stuff grover,didn`t know that about "the feds",although its true about the interference a TC causes-someone over here in the UK was inadvertently setting off car alarms with his TC from inside a building!

Also very bad Idea for pacemaker users.

I was hoping the "new version" of Tesla`s ideas may have addressed these problems by using a frequency which does not interfere with our current model of electricity.
I think this may be possible.
Imagine if it is-we could all have little tesla towers dotted along the roads and run our cars of remote electricity,just like Tesla envisioned.
Still need a good clean way to produce the electricity though.(hydro I rek)

Keyhole:There are problems associated with big EM fields,they produce or attract certain gases like o zone and possibly radon.
Hopefully these have been addressed also,and I think that too is possible as I think the gases may be occuring only at certain frequencies.
Needs to be looked at though,good points.

[edit on 16-11-2006 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Household electricity is 60HZ US/50HZ UK. At this frequency transformers need to be big. The size of the transformer is directly proportional to the frequency that it operates at. The higher the frequency the smaller the transformer size. I cannot remember the exact details but it has to do with the way the magnetic feilds collapse during the alternating of the voltage. Also the higher the frequency the more distance it can travel and loose little energy. Again I cannot remember the exact details, electronics classes were 15yrs ago.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Great find.

But tell me now please, Is it dangerous to walk between the receiver and the source?

...Electromagnetic currents, pulses, microwaves - all cause cell damage and transdifferention, plus misfold proteins. Not good things to do at all.

Or does the current maybe use wormholes, and travel in a different dimension?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I doubt this will equate to anyhting close to free broadcast power. JP Morgan put the skids on that back when Tesla was promoting it and I don't expect our current corporate structure to be any different.

Look, Ma - no wires! CSMonitor
Electricity broadcast through the air may someday run your home.

A paper putting forth the concept, "Wireless Non-Radiative Energy Transfer," written by Soljacic and fellow physicists Aristeidis Karalis and J.D. Joannopoulos, is under review at the scientific journal Nature Physics. In it, the researchers propose two ways to design devices for practical wireless energy transfer. The designs, using either "dielectric disks" or "conducting-wire loops," show 30 to 60 percent efficiency in transferring power, Soljacic says. "Potentially, this could really be useful for certain applications, at least."

The paper also contains calculations that simulate what would happen in the real world. "The numbers that we got from these calculations are encouraging," he says. "We fairly strongly believe in our theory, based on previous experience. But, of course, experiments will be the ultimate judge."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So who will be the first to fill there home with ionizing radiation? Perhaps the underlying plan is to produce more tumors in order to increase medical industry profits and solve those economical issues of a greying society?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   

It (broadcasting power) probably will not happen in this century because it will require retrofitting EVERYTHING from scratch!!!

I would disagree. We are an profit based society, so noone would be going around in every business and household with a mandate to replace every single thing. It would begin much like Compact Flourescent and LED light bulbs are getting under way now. A manufacturer starts making them a little at a time to deal with the current demand. As awareness grows, so will demand, and thats when prices get lower. Obviously it happens over a long period of time, but not nearly a century. Nothing ever happens instantaneously. It always takes time.

the first scientists that worked on computers. probably never would have believed we could hold gigabytes of information on a card the size of a pinky nail, and yet here they are mass produced for consumer demand at your local Wal-Mart.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
the problem is how it effects things that are not adapted for it that is the question. Like I said turn one on and everything that runs on electricity, on or not, plugged in or not, is effected by the coil. That is the issue. It is not like LCD or anything like that. Again, since it effects everything electricial, how you control that is the issue.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This is a project being worked on by a reputable and higly respected Technology Research center with the proper funding and labs, not anarchists or amateur scientists (which is why the Feds are so paranoid about them making such things). I have no doubt these are the issues they are working on this very moment.

I definetly feel it may take years, but these scientists have access to manufacturers that may be able to provide special alloys and materials to help counter these problems. Of course I do not know for usre, but I would like to assume that is what research and development is there for.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Great find.

But tell me now please, Is it dangerous to walk between the receiver and the source?

I used a Tesla Coil in grad school to ignite microwave discharges. Once in a while I'd get careless and let an appendage get too close, or arc the coil to something metal which I might be touching or leaning against. In any case, it hurt like hell. Kinda like a cattle prod (don't ask).

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This is a great idea, and defently possible, and am glad people are working on it,
but I just dont see it being effishent enough to be practical.
Aside from that I hope good things will be found when doing the research.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
A friend of mine built one back in the 70's and caused a localized (about 4 small city blocks) power outage. He did about 6 months for it which is how I know the feds don't like em one bit. With all the computerized crap now a days using one indiscriminately would create a serious mess.

He got his plans from the late and lamented Loomponics catalog. NOW THAT is showing my age and leanings

[edit on 16-11-2006 by grover]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Yes exactly, amateur scientist. I have also seen crude directions for one in the anarchists Cookbook, of course it would simply be completely foolish to even try.

I wonder... and it may be far fetched, but perhaps Tesla was one who traveled back in time? I mean he was working on a technology that we are only now, close to one hundred years later begining to devlop in its infant stages. If he were in such a primitive time period, it could explain why he had such trouble developing a more stable design. the manufacturing technology back then was obviously unable to compse the synthetic alloys and minerals possible for a fully functional and stable prototype.

Perhaps now we are only beginning to understand how to manufacture these compositions, but the information may not be publically available. That in turn, would be the reason amateur science experiments may become either innocent malfunctions or deliberate vandalism.

Ok I will admit the time traveler thing is far fetched, but wouldn't it explain alot?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
There are always some people who see so deeply into things that they seem to be wizards, magicians or aliens. Tesla was one of those. A modern day shaman.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I think there is some confusion here as to what is being proposed in this invention. This is not a Tesla coil, which generates a high voltage potential and creates plasma streams in the air and puts on a nice light show. A Tesla coil is not used to transmit power like Tesla’s wireless power transmitter. He did first have the idea of transmitting electricity without wires, but as some have mentioned was very inefficient because it transmitted in all directions and only a small percentage of it could be used.

This is something new that sounds to me like it only transmits when a “sink” device is nearby and also has the same resonant frequency in order to any power to be transferred. This invention sounds like it would be more efficient and goes beyond Tesla’s transformer. I would think this could be designed in a low enough voltage to be safe and not cause problems in other electrical products.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join