It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Denial Machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I watched CBC's Fifth Estate last night and this documentary certainly established my view that certain governments are spreading disinformation to undermine the public reaction to the effects of Global Warming.

www.cbc.ca...

The Denial Machine follows a small but powerful group of scientists who argue, among other claims, that global warming may be a good thing and it investigates their links to the oil and coal industries

-snip-

The Denial Machine investigates the roots of the campaign to negate the science and the threat of global warming. It tracks the activities of a group of scientists, some of whom previously consulted for for Big Tobacco, and who are now receiving donations from major coal and oil companies.

Who is keeping the debate of global warming alive?
The documentary shows how fossil fuel corporations have kept the global warming debate alive long after most scientists believed that global warming was real and had potentially catastrophic consequences. It shows that companies such as Exxon Mobil are working with top public relations firms and using many of the same tactics and personnel as those employed by Phillip Morris and RJ Reynolds to dispute the cigarette-cancer link in the 1990s. Exxon Mobil sought out those willing to question the science behind climate change, providing funding for some of them, their organizations and their studies.

It was (in my mind, anyways) a very convincing argument about the people who are travelling the country, giving speeches debunking the perceived threat to the environment in the interest of the oil, coal and gas sectors.

Anyone else watch this?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I saw bits and pieces, though it's moot now since Harper backed down due to Laytons brinkmanship politics. Any word when the compromise bill will be coming down the line?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I just caught the end of it.
It is about time that information got aired on TV

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Good find masqua, i had some suspicions a few days ago while watching spooks.
i tried to make thread on it but no joy so will post it here as it might be relevant.

Spooks and project Aftermath

I was watching a t.v show called spooks last night and wondered if anyone else had watched it.

It was about a secret project called Aftermath that MI5 stumbled accross, where the United States and Britain were collaborating together to cause wars and occupy terratory's important for natural resources.
In the show both country's were abandoning the fight on climate change all together and instead securing as much oil and other resouces at as cheap a rate as possible or control of them according to the aftermath document.
The document also claimed that upto 35% of the worlds population could be wiped out due to global warming within 100 years, and they won't only do nothing about it but believed it was neccesary, because with india and china consuming more, there simply was not enough to go around and could not afford to lose out economicaly due to combating climate change without the rest of the world.

When i think about it, it makes some sense as america abandoned geneva and although the UK keeps harping on about climate change, we still went to occuppy IRAQ over none existent weapons of mass destruction. Kinda makes me wonder if this is the true reason we went to war with IRAQ

I tried googling for it but turned up nothing. i know it's a fictional program but many writers get their inspiration and ideas from real life scenarios or rumours.

And i have to ask the question has anyone else come across this project aftermath or something with the same objectives, i mean in many a storey i believe there is an element of truth however small and obscure.

If anyone has any ideas on this or even better knows something, please feel free to drop some knowledge over here, in the mean time ill be searching for any clues.

Good find

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Question is...Which party is in denial and which one is telling the truth and which one is misleading and which one isnt? Dont get me wrong,,,there are denial machines for just about everything besides just Global warming.. including 911, Alex Jones, David Icke, Steven Greer etc.

Like I was saying in a Dan Burisch thread...You dont have to know what you are being used for whether you play the roll as the debunker denying ignorance roll or even the one that thinks he is fighting for the noble cause against corruption and what we view evil as. Like I said...a person can be as sincere and as pure as snow with all the scientific figures, deductive reasoning, critical thinking, back up from peeers etc present, yet still not know what he or she is being used for.

That would be kinda scary if you really didnt have as much control as you were lead to believe

So what do you think might cause this denial machine to work? Ignorance? Lack of knowledge? Fear? All the above?
Maybe none of the above

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
There's two things which I took away from that program last night.

The first was that some of the same people/scientists/researchers who were the primary proponents of the 'cigarettes don't cause cancer' and 'cigarettes are not addictive' crowd (hired by major tobacco companies) are now working dilligently to soften the public outcry over global warming.

The second was that it is condoned by whatever party is in power in a number of countries, regardless of their platforms. This is mainly due to the fact that these disinformation experts are financed (with the deniability of such financing) by the oil and gas sectors (ie. Exxon). Since the governments depend on the continuance of the status quo to keep their economies running as they always have, they have become silent partners in the campaign to discredit public concern about the growing threat of global warming.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I didn't see the program but it doesn't come as a shock to me. It stands to reason that many of these "There is no global warming" so-called "scientists" are nothing more than paid lackey's of industrial corporations. These corporations certainly do not want an alternative fuel source. *GASP* What would that do to their efforts to make money off of natural resources?

This is really nothing new. I have known and suspected it all along.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
There is a thread already on this topic, So It would be great if you all could continue on the thread that's on-going,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread Closed,

Thanks,

edited to add right link lol

[edit on 25-11-2006 by asala]

new topics

top topics

join