It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As bad as what has been replaced?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   
After all the condemnation of Saddam Husseins Regime's human rights records, the US puts the life of an innocent Iraqi - and the undertaking of a war crime - at 18 months in prison on a plea bargain.

news.bbc.co.uk
When they failed to find him the men became frustrated and dragged a disabled grandfather from his home, bound and beat him and then shot him to death.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This will attract passionate responses from both sides of the argument I'm sure, but the fact remains that this action implies the US does not see the life of an Iraqi as worth more than 18 months in jail.

And, while the US legal system and military should be appluaded for bringing the case into the cold light of day, the fact remains that this was a war crime of the most despicable nature - one that rivals the actions of the regime the US sought to replace in Iraq.

And whilst this can be seen as an "isolated" incident in some respects (although Abu Grahib comes to mind -as does the recent conviction of a US marine for raping a 14 year old girl) , outside observers must wonder what other atrocities have been committed in bringing "freedom" to Iraq

Related News Links:
today.reuters.com

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
No comments on this. No replies. No endorsements - nothing. Maybe its because its not news people want to hear? Should it be "swept under ther carpet" ?

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
maybe, its just a poorly written article.

The original source had much better information, simply because after reading the article, I knew what the heck you were even talking about.

Looked like more of a half baked lamblast and actual reporting of news, to which I think most people look, say ho hum, next..

but heres a reply at least so you feel better about yourself.

cheers.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Yay! A reply from a non contributing non-entity with no ATS history and a right-wing agenda attempting to insult me for pointing out the truth. Got to love it.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
You should edit it really. Like the other person, I had no idea what you were going on about until I read the BBC link.

Just needs some cleaning up, that's all. You'll get plenty of replies then.

Interesting article though, the Marine deserves more than what he was given, if the attack happened.

Letting them off is just going to make it worse.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Your opening post is fine on the personal comment side of it, but the news story need a littler bit of more information, perhaps another paragraph.

Now on the story itself, I will say that human rights violations are part of human intention and human actions.

Many issues will come from any war that has to deal with people that become victim of the circumstances.

Specially on a war that was not of their doing.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I'd love to edit it but sadly the Edit button is missing once more

Of course, if people read the news story on the BBC site its self explanatory.

[edit on 21-11-2006 by neformore]

top topics

join