It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Drifting the SuperHornet!

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Hey all, hope this is in the right place, amazing pics of the SH swapping ends on the runway!

s102164210.onlinehome.us...


...and came to a stop directly in front of me. The aircrew got out quickly, and the jet remained there for the rest of the show....


Yeah, I bet they got out quicly and sought a change of shorts!




posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
very very very cool.

even better that no one was hurt.

i want to get all of those pictures.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   
i compiled a zip with all 20 pictures, if anyone's interested.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
DezertSkies, an amazing set of photies.

Pilot error? Don't make me laugh!


Makes Schumacher look like an also-ran.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
If you read the website, the mishap occured following a blown tire on landing.

Tim



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Accidents happen. It was probably a manufacturing defect in the tire. This goes to show how good the training is in the USAF. I couldn't see a egyptian pilot recovering the aircraft. Glad the plane held up too. THose pilots saved probably their own lives but the aircraft too, so they didn't cost the tax payers even more then they already are spending.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Accidents happen. It was probably a manufacturing defect in the tire. This goes to show how good the training is in the USAF. I couldn't see a egyptian pilot recovering the aircraft. Glad the plane held up too. THose pilots saved probably their own lives but the aircraft too, so they didn't cost the tax payers even more then they already are spending.


Except for the fact that it was the US Navy, USAF doesnt have F/A-18s of any kind.



posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Yeah ya got me. I was typing on the fly. Everyone knows the Navy and Marines use the f-18. I should have caught my own error thanks for correcting me. But it still shows how great the US training is with their military aircraft alot of other countries pilots wouldn't have been able to save that aircraft.



posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
You can see from the photo that the tires blew, good thread though.



posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I can see a new movie on the way! Fast & The Furious 4 USAF Drift!


On a more serious note, must have been a very well trained pilot to stop that plane without hurting anyone, 1st time I've ever heard of an incident like this happening, lets hope it doesn't happen again!



posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Excellent pics. One question....5th from last pic seems to show extensive damage to the port stabilator, but subsequent pics don't show it, Anyone else see this?

disregard - it's just dirt flying up.

[edit on 11/17/2006 by darkbluesky]



posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
you edited just as i hit the reply button. but yea, thats dirt. i would say quick thinking but from drifting like that in a car i know theres no thinking involved - you just act and hope it works.


jra

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Just for the fun of it. I saved all the pics and made them into an animated .gif

i7.photobucket.com...



posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
Just for the fun of it. I saved all the pics and made them into an animated .gif

i7.photobucket.com...


Cool


Good stuff on those pics, really neat.

Edit: I've just been reading through that forum the original pictures were posted in. What a cool place. I was a huge aircraft fanatic when I was younger but since lost tough with it but I've really enjoyed reading through that site.

[edit on 18-11-2006 by CuriousSkeptic]



posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
that looks fun but i would have to change my pants after getting out of the plane.



posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Damn, they really glue those stabilizers on there good, huh?
Has enough strength to tilt up the nose and not sustain major damage or break off. Also, if this wasn't a navy aircraft I doubt the landing gear would have stood up that well, on a land based fighter it probably would have collapsed or broke off do to the lateral pressure and movement.



posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
There's actually a movie of the incident on YouTube. I'll try and find it later. It is pretty funny, the crowd announcer commentates the whole thing. Gold!

Blown tyres aren't unusual, but are bloody dangerous. I've never had one, but have seen two. One was with a jet that had two 2000lbs bombs on board. It was on take off too. He was below abort speed, so followed the bold face and took the wire at the end of the runway. Pretty scary to watch. I've heard that a Canadian pilot was killed when he got a blown tyre on touching down. He tried to ride it home, but the jet flipped. Bold face is pretty much if the aircraft is about to depart the runway in an uncontrolled condition, you eject. Ejection is such a line decision though, and milliseconds make the difference.



posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Willard856
There's actually a movie of the incident on YouTube. I'll try and find it later. It is pretty funny, the crowd announcer commentates the whole thing. Gold!

Blown tyres aren't unusual, but are bloody dangerous. I've never had one, but have seen two. One was with a jet that had two 2000lbs bombs on board. It was on take off too. He was below abort speed, so followed the bold face and took the wire at the end of the runway. Pretty scary to watch. I've heard that a Canadian pilot was killed when he got a blown tyre on touching down. He tried to ride it home, but the jet flipped. Bold face is pretty much if the aircraft is about to depart the runway in an uncontrolled condition, you eject. Ejection is such a line decision though, and milliseconds make the difference.


Is this the video? "F18 Super Hornet runway wipeout":
www.youtube.com...

Craig M. Scaling shot the photo sequence of the "Drifting Super Hornet" (s102164210.onlinehome.us...). He's a photographer with Airshow Traveler Magazine. According to the description for one of the photos (he?) placed at www.airliners.net... , the accident happened at at NAS Pensacola, Florida, on 11 November 2006. (Click here for happier photos and videos of Hornets and Super Hornets.)


[edit on 26-11-2006 by DeepSecrets]



posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
That video is hilarious, the announcer is improvising on the fly, "nicely handled". To make matters worse the crowd has no idea how close they came to a fatal ending.



posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
That video is hilarious


Umm, I was thinking of something more along the lines of Heartstopping! WestPoint, no offence, but do you realize just how tragic that could have been?


Those are real people's lives on the line when things like that happen. Funny is NOT how I would choose to describe something that has the potential to become fatal in the blink of an eye!

No offence but I'm a bit disappointed that you find something so Dangerous, Amusing.


Tim

[edit on 26-11-2006 by Ghost01]



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join