It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My prediction of modern religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I don't claim to have any kind of psychic powers, but I'm going to make an educated guess based on history, that about 500 years from now, the religions of today, Christianity specifically, will be looked back on the way we today look back on the religions of say, the Greeks with Zeus and Mt Olympus and stuff. Christ will be something kids learn about in school history text books as a myth, the way we view Athena or Isis as myths today. I don't think Christianity will last quite as long as people today seem to think it will. Am I posting this in the right place? Ah whatever, I just wanted to type it out and post.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yeah you're probably right. I had a discussion with my mom along the same lines, saying how many religions have come and gone, and Christianity is just another one. She didn't like that I was saying it though, having been a Christian for many years.

What do you think will be a common religion 500 years from now? No religion at all perhaps? I personally think religion, for the most part, will go away. We'll be left with belief systems, but not necessarily religion. Science and logic will be the replacement for religion. No more crazy rituals!

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I agree with you, actually. I've noticed more and more people my age are becoming atheists or have been atheists, I think religion may be in its last days, or atleast the current religions.

Alot of people are converting to new age religions like Wicca, too.

I'm agnostic myself.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
You very well could be right 3rkist, if civilization continues on it's present course. But what if we enter a new dark age due to environmental collapse, War, natural disaster etc.

We very well could be worshiping pagan Gods again or even Man as he was in the 21st cent.

A wonderful novel that addresses your premise is "A Canticle For Lebowitz" I forgot the author.

I'm thinking that in the future if we make it; we will be worshiping cyber Gods that created themselves on the www.

Anyone want to collaborate on a screen play on the above with me?

[edit on 15-11-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Anyone want to collaborate on a screen play on the above with me?

I'm big into writing, never written a screenplay before but I'll collaborate with you maybe!

No but I think future religions will be a lot more "science" based than belief based. Perhaps we'll verify some of this extra-terrestrial activity and come to the conclusion that we were created by extra-terrestrials or maybe that we originated on a different planet. Scientific discoveries and advances in fields like cloning and possibly brain transplants or something will shake people's beliefs in a "soul", and gradually religions will adapt and be molded to fit into more scientifically supported categories. That's what I think anyway.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
You are entitiled to your opinion, but I disagree and so does the Bible.

Daniel 2:[34] Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces.
[35] Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
dbrandt, care to tell us how the scripture you quoted has anything to do with the state of religion in the future.

I don't want to start a discussion on bible symbology, but I for one need a little clarification. THX.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
You are entitiled to your opinion, but I disagree and so does the Bible.

Daniel 2:[34] Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces.
[35] Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth.

Um....I hate to write a one liner, so let's see if I can drag my question out into something a little more wordy. So you did the typical Bible-thumper thing and quoted a scripture from "The Good Book" that, unless interpreted by someone with the intent of finding a specific meaning in it, has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I don't mean to accuse you of anything or be rude, but if you would be so kind as to explain how this is relevant I would greatly appreciate it.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   

The image that was destroyed by the stone represents world empires, the feet being the last empire with the 10 toes. The stone is Jesus Christ at His return. He destroys all other empires and the religion they preach and the Knowledge and Rule of Jesus Christ fills the entire earth(and universe).

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The image that was destroyed by the stone represents world empires, the feet being the last empire with the 10 toes. The stone is Jesus Christ at His return. He destroys all other empires and the religion they preach and the Knowledge and Rule of Jesus Christ fills the entire earth(and universe).

Um, I guess biblical parables can take on just about any meaning if you have a little imagination. But I didn't start this post to argue the validity of the Bible. Thanks for your opinion! Wait, so your opinion is that the Christian religion will last until the End of Times, is that correct? Just want to clarify that.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
IF A MODERATOR WANTS TO DELETE THIS POST PLEASE DO, I ACCIDENTALLY DOUBLE CLICKED THE SUBMIT BUTTON

[edit on 15/11/06 by an3rkist]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by an3rkist
Wait, so your opinion is that the Christian religion will last until the End of Times, is that correct? Just want to clarify that.

Yes and since eternity is forever in length, Christ will rule forever.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Wait, so your opinion is that the Christian religion will last until the End of Times, is that correct? Just want to clarify that.

Yes and since eternity is forever in length, Christ will rule forever.

I'm sure all the other ancient religions of humanity's past thought that their god/gods would rule forever as well.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
I'm sure all the other ancient religions of humanity's past thought that their god/gods would rule forever as well.

I think they would have to. Why would you base your beliefs in something you didn't thing was a constant forever thing? You make a valid point. Chances are everyone who subscribes to any religious belief believes that it's true, forever and ever amen. I used to believe that when I was religious. I don't envy the people who have yet to come to terms with the fact that their religion may not be an eternal constant. When I came to that realization it was as if my whole world fell apart and I had to pick all the pieces back up before I could go on with my life.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I don't claim to have any kind of psychic powers, but I'm going to make an educated guess based on history, that about 500 years from now, the religions of today, Christianity specifically, will be looked back on the way we today look back on the religions of say, the Greeks with Zeus and Mt Olympus and stuff. Christ will be something kids learn about in school history text books as a myth, the way we view Athena or Isis as myths today. I don't think Christianity will last quite as long as people today seem to think it will. Am I posting this in the right place? Ah whatever, I just wanted to type it out and post.

Hinduism will not fade, in fact, it will rise...this is my opinion based on the fact India is becoming more and more of a super power nation and less of a "third world" one. I think Christianity will eventually phase out when people realize how liberally it took it's concept from previous existing faith systems.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jade Bridge
Hinduism will not fade, in fact, it will rise...this is my opinion based on the fact India is becoming more and more of a super power nation and less of a "third world" one. I think Christianity will eventually phase out when people realize how liberally it took it's concept from previous existing faith systems.

I think Hinduism will definitely last longer than Christianity. But if you use the argument that India is becoming a "superpower" to defend the potential longevity of Hinduism, you might want to look at the fate of every "superpower" in history.

[edit on 26/11/06 by an3rkist]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I think Hinduism will definitely last longer than Christianity. But if you use the argument that India is becoming a "superpower" to defend the potential longevity of Hinduism, you might want to look at the fate of every "superpower" in history.

[edit on 26/11/06 by an3rkist]

Not Hinduism's longevity, but its validity. Unfortunately many tend to view Third World religions as tribal superstitions :shk:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jade Bridge
Not Hinduism's longevity, but its validity. Unfortunately many tend to view Third World religions as tribal superstitions :shk:

Well I don't want to attack your personal beliefs, but I view every religion's beliefs as superstition...at best.

top topics

join