It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the Limits of Human Capacity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Humans are always pushing the limits of our capacity, both physically and intellectually.

Standardized test show that people are getting smarter, because those tests have to be re-normed upward every few years.

Before Roger Bannister broke the four-minute mile in the 1950s, a lot of people thought that it would never be done and yet four-minute miles are not that uncommon.

A few days ago, a young man did 2,406 pull-ups in 12 hours.

I think by now, we expect for someone to be breaking records of all kinds all the time, but what about when someone does things that we think are not possible for our species.

Man can fly, but we need machines.

We can heal the sick, but we need medicines and treatments that facilitate the bodies own healing mechanisms.

We can see in the dark, but we need night-vision technology. Or, do we?

Here's a boy who has been blind since his eyes were removed because of cancer at a very early age. He "sees" with his ears, or really, more precisely, he uses the same technique used by dolphins and bats to get around in his "dark" world and he does it with such skill that he puts many sighted persons to shame.

Still skeptical?

Regard:

www.comcast.net

Ben Underwood does what he does because of the way he was raised. His mother instilled in him the confidence that he could do whatever he put his mind and his remaining senses to.

What about other children who are born with or develop impairments? What are they capable of and do we offer them the opportunities to develop their capacities to their greatest extent?

No child left behind has many critics, but do we really offer children the chances that they deserve?

[edit on 2006/11/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Wow that is a pretty amazing story. It's one thing to adapt to the situation and be able to "get by" with hearing but this kid is on a whole different level. If he can actually tell the difference between a pickup and a car by the way the sound waves reflect off it... that's insane.

No child left behind has many critics, but do we really offer children the chances that they deserve?

Well it's all relative to what you think a child deserves. I think people should stop viewing it as "what child x,y, or z deserves," and start viewing it as the absolute best investment they can make. An investment in thier own species. Who knows what humans are capable of? Right now we are simply shuffling kids through a program and inserting them like drones into our capitalistic system. That's not real education. We as a species are victims of our own design. It really comes down to people. Do we want to try and make a bigger push for advanced development or just shuffle kids through with catch phrases like "do whatever makes you happy!" Being happy is important though, so if the current system meets those needs then why change it?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Given time and oppourtunity the human body can adapt to and overcome most any disability. A very remarkable young man, his adaptation is, well remarkable is an understatement.

That intelligence test need updating every so often tells me that the evolutionary process is still underway, and that proper nutrition and health care that are becoming more available, are very important.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
What an amazing story Grady thanks for sharing.

I truly believe that there are no limits to what a human can achieve. As a very wise teacher once said "What you imagine you can achieve". We as human beings put limits on ourselves which often keep us from achieving our dreams. In my house I had very few rules for my daughter but there were 2 that no one including myself were allowed to break: 1. You may not cut yourself down; the world will often do that for you no need to agree. 2. You may not cut anyone else in the house down. As a family we need to support one another and build each other up.

One of the worst phrases in any language is I can't. If you say that I assure you you won't achieve whatever it was. For example I can't do math; guess what you will be right on the other hand if you believe and work hard enough you will suceed in what ever you try. Mind you that success may appear to be a failure but if you have learned from the experience then it was not a failure but rather a success.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
As a very wise teacher once said "What you imagine you can achieve".

As Dr. Frank-N-Furter once said:

Don't dream it - be it.

therockyhorrorpictureshow

Just kidding.

You have a point. Ben was never told he can't and he found a way to do some incredible things. He will however meet obstacles and will have to come to terms with limitations, as we all do, but his life will be far richer for having been blessed with such a good and understanding mother.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Amen. His mother is an incredible woman. I just am in awe of that young man. Incredible.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Just FYI, I only did 2,406 pull ups. As insignificant as that difference may seem, 40 pull ups feels more like 40,000 after already having done so many. The video also said my name was "Joe" when really its "Jason". If you have any questions on the subject, please email me at [email protected]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Do you have some insights into the matter of how far human physical and intellectual advancement can go?

I understand you intend to challenge your own record in the future.

Here's my boilerplate welcome post:

The ATS Freshman's Forum provides a great place to discuss the complexities of the ATS universe and to get advice from rookies and veterans alike.

There are lots of handy tips available in the Handbook of ATS Links.

Here are some Important Website-Related Threads.

Configuring your MyATS page is the easiest way to put the ATS universe at your fingertips.

Be sure to check out Social Issues on PTS. I'm sure you will find the atmosphere to be friendly, enlightening, and rewarding.

Here's an excellent little, unobtrusive spell checker, in case you need one: IESpell 2.1.1 build 325

A convenient text editor also comes in handy when composing those epic posts: EditPad Lite.

Sooner or later you will find a use for TinyURL!™

Oh, and vote for the Automotive Forum.

Grady

[edit on 2006/11/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Mystical traditions say, "If you would increase your powers, increase your need."

Cruel kings and other bad rulers often discovered the truth of that observation - even hurt, starving and sick people will stand up and fight, if the need is undeniable.

So, what's possible?

Just about anything, imo.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I believe that the limits of humanity wont be reached within our lifetime, maybe ever. As long as there are true champions, those who are willing to do anything to get just a little bit ahead of everybody else, there will be higher and higher standards set. As for our generation though, I think that performing 10,000 pull ups in one day would be possible. I've only trained 8 months for this and already I've done about 1/4th of that. I might have been able to get even more had I continued past 12 hours, but I wasn't that desperate to find out. I plan to break my own record again in a few months and hope to do atleast 2750, but preferably more than 3,000 pull ups in 12 hours and another 500 - 1000 or so in the next 12 hours to set a standard for the most pull ups in a full day as well. To reach the 10,000, however, would require the perfect body type, bone structure, training, and way too much specialization - maybe to the point of cutting off the athlete's legs. I do think that 6,000 would be possible without too much detriment to other aspects of life and fitness, but I don't think I'll be the one to get it. I'm too tall, have too large a bone structure, and don't have nearly enough interest or motivation.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Evolution
when you think of it maybe in a few thousand years we wont even resemble humans anymore

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pullup2406
To reach the 10,000, however, would require the perfect body type, bone structure, training, and way too much specialization - maybe to the point of cutting off the athlete's legs.

Whoa!

Let's not get too obsessive about this.

Maybe you will inspire double amputees to seek that goal, while your building up to it.

top topics

join