It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami headed for Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Toykyo has just reported an 8.1 scale earthquake that is expecte to generate at least a 6-6.5 foot Tsunami that is heaed for Northern Japan. Local residens are urged to flee for higher ground.

www.msnbc.msn.com
A tsunami about 6 1/2-feet tall or higher could hit the Pacific coast of Japan's northernmost island of Hokkaido and main island of Honshu after 9:10 p.m. (7:10 a.m. EST), the agency said.

The quake struck about 244 miles east of the Etorofu islands, which are north of Japan, at 6:15 a.m. EST, according to the agency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow!. 8.1 is a huge earthquake and this could be coming for other Countries. I hope everyone gets out of the way.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Here is the prelim data from USGS. It looks as if the quake struck near the Kuril Islands off NorthEast Japan. Now 7.8 mag.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I read that Wave should of hit approx 30 mins ago but cant find any news on if it did ...

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I can not see if a wave was generated or not, but I did find that they have issued a tsunami warning for Alaska.

NOAA

At 3:14 AM Pacific Standard Time on November 15, an earthquake with preliminary magnitude 8.1 occurred near the Kuril Islands, Russia. This earthquake may have generated a tsunami. If a tsunami has been generated, the waves will first reach Shemya, Alaska at 4:24 AM AKST on November 15. Estimated tsunami arrival times and maps along with safety rules and other information can be found on the WCATWC web site.

So, I guess now we just wait and see.

good find by the way.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a 16inch wave hit about 40m ago, warning maybe more to follow

Small tsunami hits north Japan - Yahoo! News

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Are any of the US coasts in

danger???

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by NumberCruncher
a 16inch wave hit about 40m ago, warning maybe more to follow

Small tsunami hits north Japan - Yahoo! News

16 inches? Lucky buggers. That's barely any different to any other wave! could have had the kids splashing around in it.

I would imagine the US coast might see some wave activity, but by the time it hits the US coast, the wave would have dissipated over a wider area, losing energy. If 16 inches is akll they got in Japan, I doubt the US is in for a shock.

new topics

top topics

join