It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please let's all join together and BOYCOTT CNN

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm curious. Why is CNN the cancer? What's the difference between CNN and FOX/MSNBC/CNBC?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
An example from just one day's Media Matters:

War in Iraq

CNN's Roberts asserted Democrats looking forward to report by Iraq Study Group are "hoping that somebody else might do the work for them"
On the November 11 edition of CNN's This Week at War, during a discussion with CNN congressional correspondent Dana Bash, host and CNN senior national correspondent John Roberts asserted that the Democrats' desire to study the recommendations of the bipartisan Iraq Study Group was tantamount to "hoping that somebody else might do the work for them." Roberts made his comments during a discussion on whether the Democrats have "a viable plan for Iraq" because, according to Roberts, "they really went into this election with no cohesive plan."

NY Times, Blitzer touted McCain's plan to send 20,000 more troops to Iraq, but failed to question idea's feasibility
A New York Times article on Sen. John McCain's proposal to send 20,000 more troops to Iraq ignored a key question: whether the strategy is even feasible, given that McCain has asserted that the fate of the U.S. effort in Iraq will be decided in a matter of months and yet acknowledged that sending 20,000 more soldiers into the region would require increasing active forces by 100,000. CNN's Wolf Blitzer similarly ignored the question of whether the plan is achievable.

Propaganda/Noise Machine

CNN anchor ignored "political analyst" Amy Holmes's Republican ties, failed to challenge her claim that "many" newly-elected House Dems "are pro-life"
CNN's T.J. Holmes identified guest Jenny Backus as a "Democratic strategist" but introduced fellow guest Amy Holmes only as a "political analyst," ignoring her Republican ties. T.J. Holmes also failed to challenge Amy Holmes's assertion that "many of the Democrats who were just elected, especially to the House," are socially conservative" and "pro-life"; in fact, only five of the newly elected Democrats who defeated Republican incumbents or have been elected to open seats previously held by Republicans have identified themselves as "pro-life."

Blitzer baselessly promoted McCain, Graham as "a little bit of mavericks"
CNN's Wolf Blitzer said of Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham, "many would regard them [as] a little bit of mavericks." Despite McCain's widely held reputation for being willing to diverge from President Bush, Media Matters has repeatedly documented instances in which McCain has supported President Bush or changed his position to support Bush; the same is true of Graham.

And that's just for CNN.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SKMDC1
I'm curious. Why is CNN the cancer? What's the difference between CNN and FOX/MSNBC/CNBC?

Yeah they are all bad, boycott it all....

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfless
Yeah i did give a reason why, it's in my first post.

This?

CNN is good for nothing but to inflict fear and paranoya into the minds of those who watch it... it's a disease in the media.

While that is technically a reason, it seems to me that you're trying to do the exact same thing you're complaining that they do. The primary difference is the spend a fair amount of money, time, and effort to make their argument, whereas you just say "They're the devil, stay away!"

The sad part is, you're probably right. Idealistically, the general public would be able to take the most sensationalistic headline and still look at it objectively enough to where the source didn't matter much. It's a sad commentary on this world that people are actually calling for a boycott on a particular media outlet--not just you in this thread either, I've seen others do the same elsewhere--instead of trying to give others the intellectual stability to ignore the cries of wolf and prey on the same sensationalism that they claim to be fighting.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Mcory1 i don't think that i need to give any examples about cnn, people have eyes for them selves.

i don't care that you insult me but please don't associate me with cnn in any form of shape.

the goal was simply to unite together and boycott cnn and if just one person who read this thread stopped watching that filf then i am happy.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I wach CNN, I think it's a good news source when it comes to world events, I agree that CNN will take side and won't be independent when it comes to middle east, but besides that it is a good media source, since it's more directed at international events CNN is a good source of international news, and I'm not talking about the war in the middle east, I'm talking about other curent events.

Betwen fox news and CNN I would say CNN is more independent and comes closer to truth when it comes to the war on terror or conflicts in the middle east, any way, I wach CNN europe so there might be a diffrence betwen CNN in the states and this one in europe.
I wach it because it reports breaking news live on scene most of the times, even if some times it takes sides, I wach it because I get the news fast, probaly it is the fastest media to report on international news when something hapens.
I wach it for other news not related to the middle east.
I know it has alot of propaganda, but if you can sort that out , u'r ok

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
infact im impressed that most people on this thread have said that they don't watch tv alltogether, that's the way to go.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I watch tv sometimes... Does that count??? What I said a while ago about turning off the tv was sarcastically meant.

If I'm turn on the tv, and Dave Chappelle, George Lopez, My life is Earl, Tonight Show or other shows like that are on, and I have some time to spare, I'm watching.

I even watch MTV Cribs and Pimp my Ride. Love those shows... You want to know why??? Because it's entertaining!!! You wouldn't expect that from an ATS supermod, would you???

And as for the news shows. I watch CNN, BBC, and the Dutch and Arubian news.

I make up my own mind about these things, and choose to accept or reject them based on my own terms. I know full well that the media is owned by a few corporations, who own other, much different products that they try to market in their commercials as well. Doesnt' bother me. I take everything with a healthy dose of skepticism, and make my decisions based on supporting evidence that appear to be most credible to me.

The problem with all of this is just the fact that the majority of people don't have their BS monitor on when they watch tv. I do, or at least try to do so.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Mcory1 i don't think that i need to give any examples about cnn, people have eyes for them selves.

Yes, I do have eyes for myself, but I don't see the obvious reasons for boycotting CNN that you think go without saying.

CNN Headline News is actually the best place to go if you want to know what's happening right now, but you don't have an hour to sit through "bits" on Politician Body Language or tirades masking as "commentary" from bile-filled hate-mongers.

Anyway, I say CNN is the best of a pretty dire market. In order of "boycottability" based on quality of product:

1. FOXNews (They can't even pretend to be reporting real news.)
2. MSNBC (Olberman has turned them into the mirror image of FOXNews.)
3. CNBC (If I want that many stock tickers I'll register at AmeriTrade.)
4. CNN (Enough with the "improv banter" over live police chases.)
5. CNN Headline News (Britney and K-Fed shouldn't be headlines)

So there you are. CNN Headline News is the best of the bunch. Start your boycott with FOXNews and work your way down from there.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SKMDC1

Yes, I do have eyes for myself, but I don't see the obvious reasons for boycotting CNN that you think go without saying.

Why you may do as you wish, im not forcing anyone to agree with me on this :0

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I watch CNN occasionally and I have never felt fear and paranioa. On the internet, I found this site as a good alternative.

www.wn.com...

Its the World News Network.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Yes, people do. I do as well. We all have our own reasons for watching or not watching CNN (or anything, for that matter.) What I'm curious about is your reason. What happened that made you decide "You know, I'm going to shut down the largest news outlet in the world today."?

i don't care that you insult me but please don't associate me with cnn in any form of shape.

Well, are you not trying to make us to some degree fearful or paranoid of CNN? I know the direct action you're taking is to get us to boycott it, but is that not how you're trying to go about it?

the goal was simply to unite together and boycott cnn and if just one person who read this thread stopped watching that filf then i am happy.

And you don't think it would help your cause to be able to give a solid reason for it? Something like "They had an article stating 20K troops were going to Iraq, and they wrote it just to piss everyone off, but those 20K are replacing 40K who are coming home. See the facts they leave out to incite fear and paranoia?"

If you could cite something like that (with proof, of course), you'd get a hell of a lot more people to join on instead of just "Hey, I'm bored, so let's boycott CNN." That's what your argument appears as to me--someone who's just wanting to make waves because they have nothing better to do, and not because there's an actual cause.

The fact that you won't give any kind of reason only serves to back this--you don't even want to take the time or energy to come up with a BS excuse, you just say "well, everyone can see for themselves." If that were truly the case, wouldn't people already be boycotting it? If these evils were so self-evident, why does CNN have such power as to warrant a thread calling for it's boycott?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
way ahead of you. i've been boycotting cnn since they decided to air footage of US soldiers being sniped from the snipers point of view. i could handle something like that coming from al jazeera, but not a US based organization. and this from a network that refuses to show the planes hitting to world trade center because its "too traumatic for the american people" to see it over and over. but dont stop at cnn, boycott all things time warner (their parent company).

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I started hating CNN when this newscaster responded to the report that our aquatic species might become extinct by 2048 with "Well there won't be anymore seafood for the Gordon Fishers man".
One of the most stupid comments I have ever heard a newscaster say towards a real world issue. So I support what your doing, but like others have said you have to boycott all other newscast as well because there mostly all the same.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
AHHHH the Disaster Channel...CNN. I am all for turning off the TV period. I did have Boycott CNN and Fox in my signature for a long time.

It's not that they're any more biased than any other station or team...it's that feeling generated when watching.

Like you're "expecting" something terrible...and you know, they do try to deliver.

I don't have cable and life has been wonderful. News is available in many formats and many varied sources.

Personally, I refuse to watch any TV news show, unless it's a feel good piece. The net and the local papers are my main sources.

I also (shameless plug) started a thread called Sick of Media Censors? ...and there are a TON of great sources for news & info listed there (and it would be great if others would post some too).

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
well im in the tv biz and lemmie tell u, news is the worst area of the entertainment industry. There are actually rules and guidlines for approaching people who have just suffered a loss (basically all the suckers who get interviewed as a victim). There are basically "lead in" lines to get the story and an interview, while appearing sensitive to the person. ex "we are sorry for your loss, but would you answer a few questions?"

And it's not a coiencedence that the 10 o clock news is really a 10 o clock body count...they want it to be that way. Hard news sells better than soft news, that's why the warm and fuzzy stories are usually the last in the broadcast. Yeah i can honestly say i hate the news with a passion. They are nothing but soul sucking godless @$$holes who could care less about people, as long as they get a story.

And the anchors are so fake, they are not even real people.

Yeah i could probly write an essay about how much i hate the news, so i boycott all news media. Not because i'm a paranoid conspirocy freak, but because i dont agree with their moral values.

I could care less if they spew "fear" or "propaganda" (not even using these words right) which is not even true..I care that they make their living exploiting people.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Lets not all forget that mainstream news is also entertainment. It has to be "spiced" up to compete with all the tv shows nowadays.

Whether its to put fear or paranoia in our minds, they will report their stories in their own way to make it interesting for people.

There is no way to become a mainstream news powerhouse like CNN/FOX without having some form of "entertainment" in their reports.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Although I totally understand and agree with your reasons, to me, boycotting a "news" channel is like putting someone on ATS on Ignore. It shuts down one avenue of data. It's up to me as a critical thinking person to take in all the data that's out there (Yes, even FOX "news") and apply logic and reasoning to turn the data into useful information.

I dont' have to be afraid just because someone tells me to. And I'm not. I don't have to believe what I hear, and I don't. But watching cnn and the others, seeing the slant they apply to the news, gleaning data from all sources that I can find gives me the most complete pot of data from which to draw and reason what the truth really is.

Blocking out one or more data sources just gives me less to work with.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Aside from CNN exclusives...most of their shpeel comes from AP.

Who needs CNN when you can peruse the AP site...there are more ways than CNN to get sensationalism to counter the alternate media outlets and even though some refuse to watch CNN or Fox...the point is that sadly many people WILL sit glued to CNN and FOX and that is their only truth.

As a level headed individual I don't see that I'm missing anything by not watching the talking heads. Like I said...with anything, it's best to find multiple takes and sources for information and not watching CNN doesn't mean I or anyone else who abstains from the regurgitated fluff are lacking a full picture or are not as edumacated as those who make it part of their daily news meal.

To each his/her own
so long as the learning and questioning never stops.

[edit on 11/15/2006 by justgeneric]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I knew this photo would come in handy!
I took it in Telluride, a couple of months ago.
It really made me laugh.

I admittedly watch both of the bigger networks. I like to get different viewpoints.
I am also a fan of "Pimp my ride" although I think they use too many flatpanel monitors!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join