It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Religion Exist without Writing?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
grimreaper797, you are smart. I do not always agree with you, but you make good comments. Are you running for office as a representative in 2011? I might vote for you, but i live on the West Coast. God Bless You in your ambition.

thanks. Ill run for office if I decide not to pursue a couple other things that I want to do first. In other words, if I decide that these two things aren't for me, I will be running yes.

Regarding the above quote, I admire your independence. I am a Roman Catholic, but an open-minded Roman Catholic, so I draw many beliefs from my personal experiences, and not just Church dogma. In the past, however, when I failed to identify with a religion, I felt less Love and Peace in my mind and soul. Identification with at least one religion has created greater Love and Peace in my mind and soul and helped me become a better person towards others. I believe Love and Peace is what life is about and is the Ultimate Guiding Force of the Universe.

Does your lack of identification with a religion created more or less Love and Peace in your mind and soul?

At first it was a lost feeling. Lonliness set in for a little while. That was before though. Critical thinking and many hours of pondering lead me else where. I kept asking questions until I found the right question.

Do I have more love and peace? well I see those as two completely different things. Start with love. Love is an emotion, not a conscious thought. I can't definately say I love more because I no longer specifically value more things then others. Some people love their family, or friends, etc. But for me there isn't one specific thing I dont see as important. Ever blade of grass, puddle of water, and everything has equal importance because of our lack to predict the future.

So if you define love as value, Ive learned to love everything equally. If you mean love by the emotion, I can't really say one way or the other.

Now for peace. Without a doubt I am more at peace then I have ever been. Mainly because Im not stuck wondering what I need to ask next. I always know what the question is. Its 1 question, that always stays the same, yet as time progresses will usually always have a different answer. Life becomes a great deal more simple when you know exactly what is important.

I still love math and physics, but I know its priority now. I am planning to go to college for math and possibly astrophysics because I definately enjoy it. Does that mean it has some sort of value, and that I must figure it all out? No, thats not my goal whatsoever. My goal is to do mind puzzles and challanges like math because its something I am good at and have fun doing. Im not doing it because Im looking for answers, but just because its enjoyable. I spent 18 hours in two days reading math, and felt refreshed when most feel completely burnt out. Its just something I have fun doing.

What important is knowing what the main question is, and constantly being able to answer it. If you can answer it, you will never hit a road block in life. Life will move more progressively because the nature of the question.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Does Heaven or Hell have to exist for religion to exist? Both, or neither? I believe Heaven has to exist for religion to exist as the purpose of many religions is to assist the Soul in reaching Heaven. I do not believe Hell has to exist for religion to exist but the painful thought of it certainly perfects our thoughts and actions to perform God's Heavenly Will. In my belief, Heaven and Hell exist, but only Heaven is required to exist for religion to exist.

What perfects our thoughts more, Heavenly thoughts or "scared of Hell" thoughts?

I think that without religion, heaven and hell would not exist. Though religion does not need heaven and hell to exist at all. Christianity wouldn't exist, and the branches wouldn't either. Some religions believe in reincarnation, some believe in other things. Regardless, heaven and hell is but one possible outcome of death which is stressed by the christian faith and its branches.

The early religions didn't believe in afterlife either.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
If writing were humanly "impossible", and speaking and hearing were humanly possible, would there still be speaking and hearing of religion? I believe they would exist but would not be absolute criteria for religion to sustain itself. What always is sustained is our Soul contact with God, with senses never scientifically discovered nor properly defined Spiritually. I believe God teaches us new ways to worship in the afterlife.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   

If writing were humanly "impossible", and speaking and hearing were humanly possible, would there still be speaking and hearing of religion? I believe they would exist but would not be absolute criteria for religion to sustain itself. What always is sustained is our Soul contact with God, with senses never scientifically discovered nor properly defined Spiritually. I believe God teaches us new ways to worship in the afterlife.

You know what I always had a problem with. The idea the a god made us, so we could worship him. Isnt that rather humanistic and self centered for a god? That something you would see people do, not an all knowing god. Just one of those things I found rather insulting.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797

You know what I always had a problem with. The idea the a god made us, so we could worship him. Isnt that rather humanistic and self centered for a god? That something you would see people do, not an all knowing god. Just one of those things I found rather insulting.

Without God, we would not have a subatomic particle, cell, breath of air, nor a Soul. It is only right to give back to God for what He has given us with Divine Worship. Divine Worship is not always painful, but frequently pleasurable, especially when the Holy Spirit touches our Soul.

If we did not Worship God, are we to ignore Him for Eternity for all the Gifts He has given us? God Loves us and wants all of us to have a continuously growing relationship with Him. With a complete division between God and humanity, there would be no Love on earth.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Is your religion writing-based, reading-based, speech-based, listening-based, and/or sub-conscious-based? Which order of any combination of the five?

My current religion, Roman Catholicism, is based on the spoken words of Jesus Christ that were listened to by writers, written down by these writers that I read, and my subconscious lastly confirms my beliefs.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
If Jesus Christ were human alive today, would He want His Gospel transmitted through writing, with and/or without technology? Would He want His Gospel transmitted through speech, with and/or without technology? Or does He preordain only certain people to receive His message? What does Jesus Christ think of technology and advances in technology?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Without God, we would not have a subatomic particle, cell, breath of air, nor a Soul. It is only right to give back to God for what He has given us with Divine Worship. Divine Worship is not always painful, but frequently pleasurable, especially when the Holy Spirit touches our Soul.

If we did not Worship God, are we to ignore Him for Eternity for all the Gifts He has given us? God Loves us and wants all of us to have a continuously growing relationship with Him. With a complete division between God and humanity, there would be no Love on earth.

He gives us this amazing gift, and to repay him, we spend a majority of it thanking him for it? If it were proven he existed, I would definately acknowledge it and say thank you, but I would not spend time on it because I know that he has given us limited time, and it wasn't to thank him for giving us it.

I disagree, if man were enlightened enough, he could live with the idea that though god is to thank, he didn't intend us to spend the time we have thanking him.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Could religion have been written without existence? Would "God" exist without religion? Did "God" exist before religion?

Is "God" existence, or is existence "God"? Did "God" create existence, or did existence create "God"?

Was 'creation' created, or has it allways existed?

Was religion created, or is 'creation' a religion?

[edit on 16-11-2006 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Definition of religion: faithful obedience to God.

Which of the following are necessary for religion to exist?

1) Writing, Speech, and Hearing
2) Writing, Speech, but not Hearing
3) Writing and Hearing, but not Speech
4) Writing, but not Speech and Hearing
5) Speech and Hearing, but not Writing
6) Speech, but not Writing and Hearing
7) Hearing, but not Writing and Speech
8) None of the above

Well, my definition of religion is: belief in the existence of a superhuman controlling power, esp. of God or gods, usually expressed in worship.

That being said, there were many religions before the written histories began. Oral traditions.. So writing is not a necessary prerequisite.

Speech and hearing.. In some form or fashion, yes, primarily because otherwise ideas would not be transmitted from person to person. However, each person may have their own 'religion' without every communicating the ideas.. but, then of course, would it really be considered a religion? (There's the connotation of a group of people coming together to worship something in the word religion.. arguably, otherwise it becomes 'personal religion' or simply 'belief'.)

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I believe in 8 as the Holy Spirit can touch our Soul in a unique and glorious fashion no matter what our physical abilities are. The blind, deaf, and mute come to mind and they have Infinite capacity to be Holy before God's eyes. In fact, they may be in tune with a greater Spiritual wavelength than those with greater physical abilities. Their religion (faithful obedience to God) might even be supernatural.

God Bless the Blind, Deaf, and Mute and All!!!

I think that's very beautiful GreatTech, thanks for that.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Does Heaven or Hell have to exist for religion to exist? Both, or neither?

if you define heaven as a place you go afterlife, neither of them have to exist; ever heard of buddhism? no such thing as heaven or hell

I believe Heaven has to exist for religion to exist as the purpose of many religions is to assist the Soul in reaching Heaven. I do not believe Hell has to exist for religion to exist but the painful thought of it certainly perfects our thoughts and actions to perform God's Heavenly Will. In my belief, Heaven and Hell exist, but only Heaven is required to exist for religion to exist.

What perfects our thoughts more, Heavenly thoughts or "scared of Hell" thoughts?

This words you wrote here, are extremely interesting for me, what you are trying to do here is use reason. I must tell you to stop if you don´t want to lose your faith.

You just said hell = painful THOUGHT ,
then why not heaven = beautiful THOUGHT

You will realize religion,god,soul,heaven,hell,holy spirit etc is just great human imagination, keep going if you want.

[edit on 16-11-2006 by Zeratul]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeratul

This words you wrote here, are extremely interesting for me, what you are trying to do here is use reason. I must tell you to stop if you don´t want to lose your faith.

You just said hell = painful THOUGHT ,
then why not heaven = beautiful THOUGHT

You will realize religion,god,soul,heaven,hell,holy spirit etc is just great human imagination, keep going if you want.

[edit on 16-11-2006 by Zeratul]

Faith is greater than reason. Faith is supernatural, reason is humanly. Faith is hope, reason is frequently futility. Faith inspires, reason frequently derides. Faith frequently gives credit where credit is due, reason requently fails at this. Faith can be eternal, reason is frequently temporal.

Zeratul, do you believe that the human being is the most powerful life-form?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join