It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education Unwanted - 100 Professionals Kidnapped in Iraq called a "National Catastrophe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Gunmen have abducted a large number of people from a research institute belonging to Iraq's higher education ministry. The report of the number taken is conflicting, but at least 100 seems to be agreed upon, though some sources set it as high as 150. The motive of the kidnapping is unclear as some reports say both Sunnis and Shias were among the abducted. What seems confirmed is that the abductors wore uniforms of the Shia-dominated interior ministry.
The news was brought by the head of the parliamentary education committee, Alaa Makki, who interrupted a televised parliamentary session and urged the prime minister and interior and defence ministers to respond rapidly to what he called a "national catastrophe".

www.guardian.co.uk
Mr Makki said the gunmen had a list of names of those to be abducted, and claimed to be on a mission from the government's anti-corruption body. The kidnapped included the institute's deputy general directors, employees and visitors.

A female professor, who was visiting the institute as the kidnappings happened, said the gunmen forced men and women into separate rooms. The men were then handcuffed and herded on to around six pickup trucks.

The gunmen - some of them masked - wore blue camouflage uniforms of the kind used by police commandos. The women were not kidnapped, but had their mobile phones taken from them.

Shia militias and other illegal groups frequently use stolen or forged uniforms and IDs while committing murders and kidnappings.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Murders and assaults on Iraqi professors and researchers have become common-day practice adding to the concerns about the reduction of the number of experts in the country. Within a few weeks, a university dean and a prominent Sunni geologist have been killed, and the death toll among education professionals are now at least 155 since the war began in 2003.

A relatively small figure compared to the total number of victims. But that academics now are singled out is none the less worrying, if anything else but barbarians and fanatics are ever to rule that blood-drenched country.

Often the educated are picked out for their known views on controversial issues, seen as unacceptable in a climate of deepening Islamic fundamentalism. A similar incident took place in July, when gunmen seized around 30 people from an Iraqi Olympics committee meeting. Only six were later released.

Whether these people, professors, deans, assistents and ordinary students among them are to turn up mutilated and killed only time will show.

Sad to say, I don't give them much hope, as the reports clearly state only men were kidnapped. Brain depletion, eradication of knowledge is the agenda when ignorants want the power. So sad.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 14-11-2006 by khunmoon]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Contrary to what this article says, it sounds like the Iraqi police were involved. The gunmen were wearing the new uniforms that they supposedly can't counterfeit. Now the local police chief is under investigation.

"At the same time I saw two police patrols watching, doing nothing," Reuters quoted him as saying.

The police chief of the Karradah neighborhood where the kidnappings took place has been placed under investigation along with some of his officers, AP cited Brig. Abdul-Karim Khallaf as saying.

www.cnn.com...

So this is what we are training these guys for?

Because of this they have shut down all the universities.

This is so wrong, and proves this war was a total mistake.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Iraq policemen held over kidnap BBC
Five senior police officers have been arrested in connection with the seizure of scores of staff and visitors from a government building in Baghdad.

Looks like the lesson here is when a corrupt and fraudulent bureaucracy trains another bureaucracy expect more of the same or worse.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This morning reports say the hostage crise have been solved with all the abducted safely freed. Five senior police officers have been held for questioning.

BBC news
Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said the abductions were part of ongoing disputes among groups linked to various political factions.

"What is happening is not terrorism, but the result of disagreements and conflict between militias belonging to this side or that," the Associated Press reported him saying.

Oh my God, what an excuse!
No, it's business as usual. Subdue or die!!

Unless you are in a position to leave the country, information this story reveals, that up to 100.000 Iraqis now are doing every month.

You bet it's not the poor from Sadr City who leave, but those with the means to find a new livelihood, the educated.

How shall this place ever become A Country?

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It's nothing compared to the 100s of university teachers assassinated since the beginning of the war, also 1000s have fled the country to not be killed.

What an invader does in the first place to destroy a country for a long time and control their government? Kill the scholars, kill the elite of information, kill the teachers, so nobody can't know the real facts and just the lies and propaganda.

That's exactly what some special forces do in Iraq IMO. Kill the elite.

[edit on 14-11-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
They've been found and returned:

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Yes, but what does this show?

Insurgency within the "democratic" government is what it shows. New uniforms, issued as being "impossible to forge", were used.

Only goes to show they got them from inside, as the story unravels it clearly indicates so.

I would say, America, it's time to get out of the madhouse, you yourself set it on fire, yeah, but get your butt out, unless you're prepared to burn with it.

When you have completed your fortress embassy by the Rivers of Babylon, that compound likely to be the"best fortified 'embassy' in the solar system", get the hell out of the place. You've f##ed it up enough to be able to control it easily from within your fortress walls of corporate power.

Leave the mess to Syria and Iran - if they want "law'n order". What the heck you care about that? They don't want your "Democracy" anyway, those savage desert beasts.

Let your glorious troops take the jump, deploy your great Army to bulls-eye, Kazakstan, Turkmenistan, (another cakewalk, you bet), where the wells are untouched like virgins, and get them connected to the Baku pipe. Help the Russians on their crusade in the Caucasus, and they shall gladly protect those lines for you, to secure the last of your lifeblood.

And America, don't worry about Iran. The Sunnies in Iraq will keep them occupied - and Israel shall take care of the rest.

The embassy complex is scheduled to be operational from June 2007.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Before the war, before sanctions, Iraq enjoyed not just a modern healthcare system, but also the higest education standards of the Middle East.

UNESCO reported before the 1991 Gulf War that Iraq had one of the best educational performances in the region. It was the only country with a near 100% literacy rate.

It's not overstated to say these facts were the credit of Saddam Hussein. That the education was secular and modern because of him. Things are now much different.

"Iraqi universities have turned into militia and death squad headquarters... Pictures of clerics and sectarian flags all over are not the only problem, but there is the interference of clerics and their followers in everything", a university employee tells. He also says religious clerics now has the authority to "sack teachers and students, forbid certain texts, impose certain uniforms and even arrest and kill those who belong to other sects or those who object to their behaviour."

Read a report about how "democracy" works in the education system in the new Iraq.

Education Under Siege
Being members of the Ba'ath party when the U.S.-led occupation began, particularly when CPA (Coalition Provisional Authority) Administrator Paul Bremer instituted the "de-Ba'athification" plan, caused most teachers and administrators to be fired, arrested or later to be assassinated by death squads and replaced by others who were selected by new ruling parties, which tended to be Shi'ite religious fundamentalists.

These factors, on top of the harsh economic sanctions and the current occupation, have left Iraq's education system in shambles.

"The newly employed teachers are either selected for being members of Islamic parties in power or those who paid bribes in order to get the job," a chief education supervisor in Baghdad told IPS, speaking on condition of anonymity.

He has managed to keep his job since he had never joined the Ba'ath Party, and added that other problems had arisen because, "Some of them [teachers] are too old to teach and others brought fraudulent graduation certificates that we could not deny because they were sent to us by parties who have militias."

Billions of dollars were supposedly spent for rehabilitating schools that were severely bombed by U.S. war planes during the 2003 invasion. However, the quality of work by foreign contractors, such as Bechtel Corporation, and their subcontractors was so poor that thousands of schools across the country remain in a state of disrepair.

No, it's Poul Bremer and Tommy 'don't-do-bodycounts' Franks who should be on trial in Baghdad.

Not Saddam.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The obvious solution then is to round up all the Imams and execute them, without leaders, what will all the little armies do? Really, what good does it do to allow these Imams to spout off their rhetoric, convincing their followers that to kill in the name of allah is a great thing? Yet we allow the Imams to go, untouched and untouchable? I say fry the Imams and the people will quickly settle down, if not out of fear, then out of the realisation that the Imams drive the violence.

And yes, I know where all my local Imams live.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
Before the war, before sanctions, Iraq enjoyed not just a modern healthcare system, but also the higest education standards of the Middle East.

UNESCO reported before the 1991 Gulf War that Iraq had one of the best educational performances in the region. It was the only country with a near 100% literacy rate.

I forgot that part.

So the Iraq war did not just destroy humankind's oldest city, but also the world's most educated society. Interesting.

Amazing the destruction and injustice that's perpetrated under the banner of "right" and might.

Good find and analysis. Missed it first time around.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The Brussels Tribunal has compiled two lists, one of the 272 academics who have been murdered. The second of 76 academics kidnapped or threatened.

It's not pleasant reading, but imagine this happening in your homeland:

www.brusselstribunal.org...

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Yes, imagine!!

Reminds me of my old friend Brian from Missouri. Lost friend, I'm sad to say.

He never liked Bush or the neocons, but was hurt deep in his soul about their doings. He defenitely never liked the war, but instead of reacting against it, he had to defend it. Patriotism wage deep im the American soul.

Our friendship was lost because of that unjust war.

"Who else should take out Saddam", he said.

Well, nobody should. If not for that cursed "black gold", as any sane person must know by now.

In the mission to achieve it, they have to turn an educated society into morons.
As in Afghanistan, where they turn a proud people into addicts.

[edit on 22-11-2006 by khunmoon]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

But who should take out Bush?

...Yes, who shall take out the neocon criminals?

khunmoon - it might be a language difficulty, but it sounds like you're promoting criminal activities.

That would be quite disappointing, and also, illegal.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Justice takes out criminals - unless it's a gangwar.

Today I'm in favour of Revolution. Can't wait any longer.

*slightly sarcastic, defenitely disillusive mood today*

Justice is the Order of the Universe, but I'm less than a jot of dust in that.
I know.
[edited for removing blasphemy *sigh*]

[edit on 22-11-2006 by khunmoon]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I understand frustration and impatience with injustice.

BUT. Violent revolution, assassination and the like are illegal. In fact, it is illegal to even support such things publicly. Called conspiracy to commit a crime I think.

...You are either being very unwise, or deliberately provocative.

Whatever. You need to stop.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Semantics, semantics sure is a weird thing.
"To take out somebody" is in my nordic germanic tongue not different from "to take out something" (like the chairs, for instance).

After a brief nap, I'm aware it is in English. Thanks for pointing out, Sofi.
...and it's ok with your answer.

You sure can't be too carefull, can you?
Just wanna say, I never meant anything like assassination. Sentiment overruled detachment, was what it was.

new topics

top topics

join