It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universe: The MMORPG!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hi, folks.

A while ago I had a wierd little theory. What if the Universe is an Online Game for some other form of life? What if every human being is an Avatar of the player. And, maybe sleeping is like "logging out", and dreams are just a part of a constantly changing Opening FMV before the player logs on. Or, its a "Tip Program" to advance in levels to gain success in the game!

The possibilities are endless. And the rest...is a program, or other players. Choose your race: Animal, Plant, Micro-organism?

I just want to know what people think of this. Oh, and the Illuminati or Anti-Christ would be Special Programs trying to wipe out the game.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
sounds like the movie the 13th floor, i love this idea and its certainly a possiblilty

but what if this is a natural program for consciousness rather a higher being controlling us as such

read my thread on my existense thoery a few down and let me know what you think

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Yes I've often thought of this. And when you die it's 'game over' then u 'wake up' and continue ur daily routine.

Perhaps the creator programmed the universe and let it unfold. Maybe it's entertainment for some entities or a science experiment - who knows?

Unfortunately I believe it could be a bit more sinister - we're actually different 'threads' of a program running. Brings new meaning to the theory we're all one. When we die what we are (a part of the memory of the program) is deleted.

As we delve more and more into Quantum Physics perhaps it will point another way hopefully but I believe this to be a possibility.

Oh yeah, if it's true let's hope the program doesn't crash hehe.

Peace,
- Naz

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
So the Universe would be like the Matrix, but on a much larger scale and with willing participants. I couldn't begin to imagine the immense scale of such a program, it would be a programming nightmare. If you were to think of the universe this way, then ghosts and things like that might be bugs in the Universe program. I wonder though, are there any cheaters in the universe?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightBlade40
... I wonder though, are there any cheaters in the universe?

You just made me blow my milk and cookies out of my nose.

Yes, in Washington.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
nah the universe can't be a mmorpg - I've yet to play a mmo that didn't have server crashes every 72 hours, character wipes, duped items etc.

and if this was a mmorpg, we'd have been patched a thousand times already but every patch would bring new bugs and we'd all be waiting for the next expansion so we'd have some new time sink masquerading as original content to keep us from going to the forums and demanding a blue response as to why our class has been hit with the nerf bat *again* whilst shams and mages get nothing but dev loving...

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
am i the only person in the world who's ever played Star Ocean 3?

this is the exact scenario presented in the game.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Sorry that I haven't been posting lately.

Well, after MILLIONS of years of these "patches" and stuff, maybe the Game has become better. And the Expansion packs are new events and technology. Universe: Expansion: Fire!

It's just a possibility. And, who knows, maybe God is the programmer that created the game?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
wheres the monthly fee?

an who are the GMs? lol

nah its a great idea, honestly we are here some purpose dunno if our existance is that useless or not. would be pretty depressing to be a game, cuz everyone just wants to melee for their items.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I believe this is pretty much how most religions see the world, but in a more metaphysical way & with its own twist of jargon. The Matrix framed this idea in a way that modern western society can better comprehend.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by nazgarn
Yes I've often thought of this. And when you die it's 'game over' then u 'wake up' and continue ur daily routine.

Interesting idea, hopefully everyone has a few spare lifes. But what would happen when we complete this "game?" Do/ would we start over where we were born, on the date. Or start over at the point in time we died. And would we remember?

hypothetical questions/ theories are probably my favorite thing to talk about, being someone who asks alot of them.

[edit on 11/14/06 by thixotrophy]

[edit on 11/14/06 by thixotrophy]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   
too much world of warcraft for you :0

just kidding.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I had a dream once that really freaked me out. I woke up in a different place.

Everything was clean and minimalist in style. I was sitting against a wall with my . was in some sort of machine. There was no port in the back of my . like in The Matrix or anything like that just a well fitting skullcap with a dense mesh of electrodes (like millions, each about a millimeter across.)

I got out of the special little chair I was in and almost immediately, the panel next to me turned on. It was displaying news and what looked like stock feeds. The display startled me at first but then I took in my surroundings. The floor looked like light toned wood but was fake and the walls seemed to be made of a plastic that was subtly luminescent (more so at the top and bottom of the walls than at eye level.) I wandered around for a few minutes and even remember looking down and seeing my bare feet which is something I hear is rare in a dream.

Eventually, I made my way to a door with a special handle. When I wrapped my hand around the handle, I heard a little click and the door swung open easily. Outside the door was a walkway about six feet wide and a railing. I approached the railing slowly because I didn't know what to expect.

This is when I started to feel panic in the dream.

I could see that was about halfway up a pyramidal building with terraces and walkways for each floor. The pyramids were about 30 stories high. About 10 stories off the ground below ran monorails (each rail had a different color) and below them were four or five levels of highway (also color-coded.)

Just then, a person approached me on the walkway.

"Hey Joe!" the man called out from about 15 feet away. My name isn't Joe so I didn't respond but the man was looking directly at me as he approached.
"Joe, you ignoring me?" He was standing so close now that he had almost stopped walking completely.
"Uh, no no." I said while searching my mind in vain for some memory of this person standing before me.
"You OK? How was work?" he said.
"Work?" I was failing in my attempt to seem like I belonged and I could see it in his eyes.
"Yeah, work. Are you sure that you're ok. I mean you're almost acting like you had a remergence or something." The man let out a nervous laugh at first. Then he looks in my eyes for some sign of recognition. There was none. "You are. Aren't you? My God." The man's eyes grew two sizes and he turned and ran off.

By now, I was in full WTF mode and I turned around and went back inside trying to find some normalcy. After a minute, there was a heavy knocking at the door. The man on the other side said "This is Psi (I think maybe Cy, or Sci, or Sigh..I have no clue) open up." I just stood there with my heart pounding - I didn't know what to do.

"Open the door, NOW Sir." The man on the other side of the door did his best impersonation of someone with authority.

There was only one thing I could think to do. So I sat back down in the chair from which I awoke as the knocking outside continued to grow louder and the pleas more desperate. As I pulled the electrode-laden skullcap over my ., something quite remarkable happened.

I woke up - covered in sweat.

Jon

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If you didn't make that up...then that is a tad interesting. If we're in a program, who knows where your real body is, eh?

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Actually what your describing, like someone else said, is the basis for pretty much all religions and existential belief systems.

We're all spirits living in a physical body/reality. Why? Well that depends on which dogma you believe

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
You should write a screanplay.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Secondlife is just that game. go check it out. Secondlife

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
That looks like a pretty cool game.

Anyway, what if "crashes", were the huge disasters (i.e. Tsunami, Katrina). And servers are different planets with life?

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
can i buy pot from you? lol joke. just thinking of religion as a game a very stoner thing to do.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I could see the universe as some sort of a simulation created by something/someone. But as an MMORPG, where every human, animal, etc is controlled by someone, that doesn't seem very fun, considering how mundane so many of our lives are. I can't see anyone getting out of playing a game where they get up, eat, work, come home, eat and then sleep.

I somewhat think that the universe way be an experiment in evolution. Someone injected the building blocks of life into our universe and is now standing back to watch what happens.

Originally posted by sonicology
nah the universe can't be a mmorpg - I've yet to play a mmo that didn't have server crashes every 72 hours, character wipes, duped items etc.

That's assuming that time in our universe is equivalent to time in their universe. I've played plenty of games where the "in-game" time was sped up. Who's to say that this Universe game, simulation, experiment or whatever didn't start a minute ago in the creator's universe?

It's an interesting thought but probably not the case

top topics

<<   2 >>

join