It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Qaeda threatens to topple the Lebanese govt.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

BEIRUT, Lebanon - Al-Qaida has purportedly issued a statement threatening to topple Lebanon's "corrupt" Western-backed government, according to a London-based Arabic newspaper Monday.

The Al-Hayat newspaper reported that al-Qaida issued the statement from the Palestinian refugee camp of Nahr el-Bared in northern Lebanon.

"The organization has arrived in Lebanon and we will work on destroying this corrupt government that receives orders from the American administration," Al-Hayat said, quoting the statement.

Although it was impossible to verify the authenticity of the message, Information Minister Ghazi Aridi cast doubt on its veracity Monday.

Although al-Qaida has rarely carried out attacks in Lebanon, it is believed to have sympathizers among extremist factions in Palestinian refugee camps.

Lebanon's Interior Minister Ahmed Fatfat has warned in recent months that al-Qaida was attempting to establish itself in Lebanon.

In December, al-Qaida in Iraq claimed responsibility for a rocket attack into northern Israel apparently carried out by a radical Palestinian group, and Fatfat has said Lebanese authorities had broken up four al-Qaida cells this year.

Most likely it was from the Al Qaeda network from Iraq since they are the closest and have the resources and capability to commit such acts, while most of the top leaders are in hiding on the Afghan-Pakistan border. Even if not supported by Al Qaeda in directly, they would approve such attacks since they consider any govt. ally with the U.S. that is legit to be attacked.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Well I'm sure Israel will come to their own rescue with cluster bombs, artillery and DU. At least the Lebanese government has been warned.
But anyway what difference would it make? I thought that after Israel’s “victory” in Lebanon control of the country had more or less successfully been split between Iran and Hezbollah (we’re talking about things on the ground here).

I was wondering deltaboy do you think we should send more troops there to help our friend Israel’s war? You know in advance of this threat.
Personally even if I thought that was a good idea I first consider just sending them some more money or weapons. If we do supply weapons to Israel we need to make sure that (unlike usual) nothing too sophisticated was faxed to China, likewise they would need to sign a few treaties regulating the use of certain weapons. This isn’t so much for humanities case, but too stop them stabbing their own terror policies in the foot (from which we get a lot of the fallout).

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Why do I smell an israeli theme here.
It makes no sense for alqaeda to setup shop in lebanon,
Hezbollah, Iran and Syria are doing fine on there own, to many cooks spoil the broth and alqaeda in Lebanon means direct US intervention.

To me, this is very convenient for Israel...

Its no longer an soul israeli issue in lebanon, americans arch nemesis has setup shop too

new topics

join