It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tony Blair calls for Iraq dialogue with Iran/Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Tony Blair is to make a speech outlining how Iran and Syria could be involved in helping the coalition to curb the violence in Iraq and assist in stabilising the region. His belief seems to be that in addition to the Iraqi situation, the Israeli-Palestinian situation must also be addressed.

news.bbc.co.uk
The UK prime minister believes the two states should be warned of the consequences of failing to help as part of a "whole" strategy for the region.

In a major foreign policy speech in London he will also defend the UK's close relationship with the US.

Earlier, the White House indicated it would consider talking to Iran and Syria about the future of Iraq.

Mr Blair's address to the Lord Mayor's banquet at the Guildhall will "make clear to Syria and Iran the basis on which they can help the peaceful development of the Middle East rather than hinder it, and the consequences of not doing so", an aide said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Reading the comments from Mr Blair in the BBC report, it looks like a veiled threat rather than a plea for talks. Stating that Iran and Syria "Should be warned of the consequencesof failing to help" comes across as threatening rather than conciliatory.
It would seem that our current "whole" strategy for the region is, and always has been, a complete disaster, based primarily on concessions and gains for Western influence and profit.

In defending the UK's "close relationship" with the US, he also ignores the feelings of the people of the UK who, according to recent polls, feel very differently. Not that most are necessarily anti-American, just that they happen to see our government pandering to US foreign policy rather than dealing with issues at home.

So far, the US has ignored requests for dialogue from Iran and Israel has ignored similar requests from Syria. How can there ever be any peace when any talks that are requested from our side are loaded with pre-conditions?

This just looks like another political grandstanding event by someone who is up to his eyeballs in creating the current situation.

[edit on 2006-11-13 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Mr Blair's address to the Lord Mayor's banquet at the Guildhall will "make clear to Syria and Iran the basis on which they can help the peaceful development of the Middle East rather than hinder it, and the consequences of not doing so", an aide said.

Really? Then I'm going to head over to the baptist's fish dinner and give Iran and Syria a piece of my mind too!

More cheap political tricks from cheap political figures so they can pretend to be "exhausting all diplomatic avenues". Tony and George should borrow a spine and go deliver their speeches in Tehran and Damascus.

It's no wonder these countries and others like North Korea are flipping the western world the bird on a daily basis, our leaders refuse to meet face to face and pass notes around like schoolgirls. God, we even have Condoleeza delivering the threats for us... (don't take that as a sexist comment, it's just surreal how much the situation compares to a schoolyard). UN resolutions are an even bigger joke, one group of countries get together to write a note calling the other country a bitch. :shk:

We need a leader now that can command some respect, or God help us all, we're going to have the mother of all brawls.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
talks with Iran and Syria will not happen on the scale needed to end this bloodshed.
Israel will not allow the USA to make a deal with the devil.
Its that simple.

Good on blair for having the guts to say this,
Iran really has a great hand in the mess that Iraq is in..
I dont htink they wont to control it as such.. atleast not yet..

they know the longer the US is in Iraq, the worse theyre condition is going to become, and the more credability the world will lose for them.

Talking with Iran will not fix the problems in Iraq. It might enable the US to save some face and bail, but like I said this will never be allowed.
If you allow Iraq to continue as it is with iranian influence, israel will be in BIG Trouble.

Its a real mess at the moment, and there's no way in hell its ever going to be anything but a mess from now on.

We, the coalition, really created the worlds most dangerous country, a breeding ground for terrorists...

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I have always thought that Iran and Syria are engaged in a proxy war with America,via Iraq.Like the Americans did in the 80s by helping the Afghans fight the Soviets.
I am sure Tony Baloney knows this too,so he knows these talks will only be a smoke screen.
Even if talks take place,does anyone think the Iranians would stop funneling weapons to Al Sadr and his fighters?
I think the Syrians and Iranians will talk to Bliar,while not changing their behavior.
Tony just wants to look as though he is taking the initiative,as usual-when in reality he can`t do squat to change the situation in Iraq.
If Bliar wasn`t so preoccupied with his geopolitical image,maybe he would see this fact.
The Iranians and Syrians would like nothing better than to see the Back of the Americans in the middle east.
As if they will take any notice of what lying war monger Bliar has to say.
(oh,and of course we all know Tony would have had no such ideas if the midterms had been won by the Republicans.)

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I think Bush will put a block on any chances of engageing in talks with Iran, that seems clear from the speeches he has made since Blair announced this, and the chances of syria helping without Iran are probably slim at best

new topics

top topics

join