It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember Remember the 6th of November

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
seems like a very upstanding and likeable fellow

bravo I say

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo

Why does exercising the rights guarenteed in the bill of rights give you gas?
What do you think those rights were protected for?
Im glad our founding fathers didnt have irritable bowel syndrome.
I would expect this reaction from someone that lives in some communist country, but for an American to say it gives me chills. I am guessing you are an advocate of 'free speach zones'?

As far as your recommendations for his other avenues of redress, he was performing the letter writing campaign, and tell me what good are lawsuits and lobbying to the poor and oppressed?

For me it was the hypocrisy of his statement. The US is a police state and I must therefore hide my identity. But if the US were truly a police state then he would have been drug off and the tape/photo's of him would've been confiscated and none of us would be reading an article about him. So what is he truly protesting? I guess he's just protesting to protest ... albeit a great American right ... but nothing that really impresses me.

Hey, at least he came up with something to do with the Halloween costume that otherwise would just be sitting in his closet!

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Shouldn't he be like you know shot to death the minute the Secret Service saw him? But then its just Hollywood movie. Not like real life.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I WILL FOLLOW THIS GUY "V" TO THE DEATH. SERIOUSLY IF OUR FOREFATHERS DIED FOR THIS "FREE" COUNTRY THEN HOW CAN I CALL MYSELF A GOOD AMERICAN IF I DO NOT DO ALL THAT I CAN.

I WANT TO GET ON THAT BANDWAGON. I KNEW OF ALL THAT WAS TALKED ABOUT BUT DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I HAVE JUST FOUND THIS SITE ATS AND HAVE BECOME SO MUCH HAPPIER NOW THAT I KNOW THAT THERE ****ARE**** OTHERS THAT SUPPORT THE SAME VIEW THAT I CALL MY OWN.

I WOULD LIKE TO REQUEST ANY INFORMATION ON HOW I CAN HELP.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmallMindsBigIdeas
The US is a police state and I must therefore hide my identity.

Did you notice the nuances in the article? The idea was that the US was becoming one.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
See that upsets me. "The U.S. is becoming one". The U.S.A. is in a police state. We have been tried under marshal law since the Wars Power Act was inacted, basically we have been at war. This is how we can go to jail for Tax evaision, in the lower courtrs anyways. Now this is how I view it and if anyone could either elaborate or correct me about the Wars Power then please do so.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sly62659
Wasn't that the 5th of november.

Remeber remember the 5th of november
gunpowder treason and plot
I can think of no reason why gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.

The 5th was a Sunday.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Desensitisation anyone ?

My biggest problem with this silly little stunt is the spectre of Desensitisation , the premise that this idiot , and his cohorts who will allegedly show up en-mass later today

Delivering Petitions of grievances is all well and good . and should be protected – but there are proper channels – and running around a nations capital in a plastic mask and cape is not one of them I recognize , sorry .

But the idea that a masked man has the “ right “ to drop an unidentified package at the security checkpoint of your white house is just asinine .

You want over reaction – I would have been happy to give it you .

Personally I would have shot the idiot on the spot , evacuated the area and called the bomb squad

Hows that for draconian ??

Call me paranoid , but any potential suicide bomber watching that is likely to have had a eureka moment , of hey – I too can wear a silly mask and voluminous cape which will conceal as much explosive as I am capable of carrying , and just waltz on up to govt buildings .

Yeah , congratulations idiot , you have started the Desensitisation process .

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Although it may be Desensitisation As you say it does attach what is accually being done to a movie that people have seen in the main stream. You have to realize if it isn't on T.V. or in a theatrical movie then it is not true to MANY people in America. Especially those being imported by big buissness. What do you think that they teach in Bombay. "T.V. is good; big money" (same reasoning that most of America is being conditioned to). They are voters too.

[edit on 14-11-2006 by Brand403]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 04:06 AM
link   

He was dressed up to make a point by not only representing the ideas represented by Guy Fawkes, but also the masks that our government is forcing people to put on. There is this kind of significance and depth in the arts in its symbolism and commentary. And obviously the costume was effective as it appears he got a lot of positive feedback from people around him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Guy Fawkes participation in The Gunpowder Conspiracy was to redress religious persecution against British Catholics by assasinating the the king and a large portion of the House of Lords. They were hoping if they were successful to get support from King Phillip of Spain. Spain's resources were, at that time, rather over-extended and the gunpowder conspirators were hoping that by blowing up King James and a portion of the English aristocracy, Spain would send military support since the majority of England's military leaders were among the "nobility" at that time.

I must have missed the part of the article were this "V" fellow was worried about Catholic persecution, but then it didn't list all the "wrongs" he was addressing in the "papers" he was serving.

And btw, it was the 5th of November, not the 6th.

[edit on 11/14/2006 by PapaHomer]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   
For more on Guy Fawkes you can look him up on the internet at:Britannia Online
Wikipedia
A short version of Bonfire Night's origin
My personal favorite;

or visit the research section of your local library.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I think there's also a point to the "theatrics", as mentioned earlier...
For one, doesn't it seems odd that righteous protest & valid petitioning to the Government never seems to hit the TV News? Such theatrics are pretty much required to capture the attention of the media, and in turn, bring valid issues like this into public view.

The point is...Even with all the lawsuits, petitioning, etc being brought up to the government (& many of its agencies), don't you stop to wonder why news like this never seems to get on the news? Could it be that Freedom of Speech/Press has already been subjected to suppression?

This is a lot of the point I tried to express back over
here.

[edit on 14-11-2006 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This guy was celebrating a British holiday in America? .. Why?

I think you guys call it Bonfire night or something like that (Asala had tried to explain this to me see because I thought V for Vendetta was a movie and that Nov. 5th wasnt a real holliday) well anyways.. did anyone read the story about the English 22 year old who put a fire work up his
then lit the thing and suffered "internal and external physical damage" HAHA. Takes all kinds. Can't find the story now, but it was on CNN last week or something..

BUT anyways. Gradys got it right. We sure are fascist - no freedoms - put you in prision for anything right? If this where to happen in many places on this planet he would have been arrested, the fact he not only went about his merry way but that he was hardly disturbed in his little protest just shows that the real question is ... who is loosing that freedom again?

Funny. The guard that didnt bother him without knowing it destroyed the protesters very reason to protest. IMO anyways.

DCP

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
i think it's funny, but i feel it was very disrespectful to all the security. Think about it, your job is to protect America, American people, and American assets and someone comes up with a mask and a cape. You have no idea what this person is hiding behind the cape. You cannot read his facial expressions or follow their eyes. There are crazy people willing to blow themselves and any innocents around them away, and some of the tools that you use to do your job are taken away from you. All I know, if i was in charge i would order the snipers to have a head shot ready for 'V" as he/she went about his way, because you never know.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Hurray V,

I applaud that individual. The truth is something is wrong with this country, something is very wrong. If you thing that you can change this county for the better using the 'right' channels then try talking to former president Kennedy. If you want a change for the poorer, it doesn't seem to matter the channel.

Kudos to the security personnel for not taking that protest out of context.

Very simply and tastefully done.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
it's aweosme that someone is standing up for wha tthey believe in but posing as one of the most infamous european "terrorist" of all time does not seem like a good way to start.

guy fawkes planned to kill the king by blowing up parlement while he was still inside it
guy had a tunnel underneith the parlement where he had hidden explosives capable of demolishing the parliment building
(un) fortuinatly, (depending on your personal opinions) he was caught just hours before completing his task

however had he succeded, his co-conspiritors would have taken power over the nation and very well may have turned the country into a police state anyways

guy faulks was no hero, he was simply a man who was acting on his beliefs for the sake of his nation, much like modern day terrorists in iraq

would it have been ok for this guy to wear an arab man mask with a suicide vest tshirt??

standing up for freedom is one thing, hiding behind a mask is cowardly and insulting to our founding fathers
did any of them wear masks?
only durring the boston tea party
the founding fathers of america were heros
they stood up for their convictions knowing full well it would cost them their lives if they failed
high treason is still a serious crime, but some times it's a necessity
the only reason to wear a mask is because you believe you will fail and that when you do they will hunt you down

the moral of the story?
either do, or do not. there is no try.

:edit:

not that this man was being treasonous.
he was acting on his first amendment rights and doing his civic duty to stand up for what he believes is right
wearing the guise of a terrorist only weakened his impact though as now he will not be taken seriously

yes, guy fawkes was a terrorist
read about him on wikipedia

incase you don't know guy fawkes is the face on the mask that V wears in the movie, as well as V's personal hero

:edit2:
furthermore, the entire "remember remember" poem was against fawkes and the catholic church for the matter
learn your D### history! (it's a shame the language filters block the d word because i really need to express it here)

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, 'twas his intent
to blow up the King and Parliament.
Three score barrels of powder below,
to prove old England's overthrow:

By God's mercy he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
Hip hip hoorah!

A penny loaf to feed the Pope.
A farthing o' cheese to choke him.
A pint of beer to rinse it down.
A faggot of sticks to burn him.

Burn him in a tub of tar.
Burn him like a blazing star.
Burn his body from his head.
Then we'll say ol' Pope is dead.

Hip hip huzzah!
Hip hip huzzah!

[edit on 14-11-2006 by wondernut]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Shouldn't he be like you know shot to death the minute the Secret Service saw him? But then its just Hollywood movie. Not like real life.

my god do you have no understanding of history???

goto www.wikipedia.com and do some research on guy fawkes

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
BRAVO! I have my self attempted to redress grievances with this government and have met with nothing but apathy and fearmongering. FOIR are almost pointless as many times the GOV will either inundate one with 1000's of pages of documents that have lil or nothing to do with what you requested or will send you papers with line after line blacked out. The only people who can truly redress thier grievances with the government are Large Corporations and the very wealthy.

For ex, today the BIG 3 automakes, Ford GM and Chrysyler all petitioned the government DIRECTLY to get tax breaks, royalties, and subsidies because they feel that they cannot compete with Asian manufactures. Could you or I do this and recieve any attention at all? Doubtful. What this person has done is bring attention to his cause in a way that would not be possible by "Sending letters, calling congresspersons, voting."

It is also VERY important to remmember that Patriot 2 WAS passed on the 96 billion dollar military expenditure bill from either last year or the year before. Part of Patriot 2 is article 13 of the Nazi-german constitution allowing for the suspension of general elections. The United States is FAST approaching police state status, we torture, we imprison more people than Soviet Russia, we execute mentally disabled, we legislate morality.

Ben franklin put it best, "those that would sacrafice a lil liberty for a lil security deserve neither liberty nor security".

Whomever it was who said they would have shot the person on sight and called the bomb squad, YOU, have the kind of mentality that will allow our government to truly become totalitarian. Do you honestly believe that people dont just disapeer or have heart attacks or commit suicide randomly for no reason. This man could not have been taken off the streets immediatly because our govenrment has to keep up the illusion of freedom. He was no real threat, his messege could easily be taken care of, "hes crazy" msg destroyed.

We must be ever vigilant or we will lose all that our founding fathers fouhgt and died for.

Sometimes, and i stress the word sometimes, a blown up building can change the world for the good.

It is also important to remmember that "V" wore the mask because his body was not his own, WE WAS THE IDEA. There may come a time where those of us who are willing will have to sacrafice our bodies so that our ideas might live on. There is no higher form of patriotism than to dissent which is closely followed by being willing to sacrafice ones self to save one's country.

Governments should fear thier people not people thier governments.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott...since anyone who has a legitimate grievance with the government can protest peacefully without fear of reprisal...

Hmm, In '02 in Portland I felt the same way until I took a club to the face and watched my 5 year old daughter (at the time) take a blast of pepper spray directly (and intentionally) to the face. "Shut dad up by macing his little girl". Yeah, democracy hard at work.

DCP

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
you took a 5 year old to a protest???!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join