It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember Remember the 6th of November

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I found this article quite by accident just a few minutes ago and thought i would post it here to share with fellow members.
Bravo to whomever had the idea to bring the concept of this movie into reality.

www.givemeliberty.org...

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   

When an agent asked if “V” would remove his mask for identification purposes, “V” explained that would defeat the very purpose of the mask, which was to give expression to the fact that the nation was becoming a police state, that too many people were becoming afraid to be identified as dissenters or protestors, and that this was not in the long term interest of a free people. The agents accepted the veracity of “V’s” message and refrained from veering “V” from his vanguard visit as the vox populi.

www.givemeliberty.org...

Give me a break! What would have happened if this nincompoop had pulled this at the Kremlin? You think he would have been allowed to go his merry way?

People like this give me distress in the lower tract.

[edit on 2006/11/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   

All local and federal law enforcement agencies in DC now know the purpose of these events is to show peaceful support for the First Amendment Right to Petition Government for Redress of Grievances and to give expression to the fact that too many Americans are beginning to fear the Government and that that is unhealthy to the longevity of a free people and our Republic.

Amen to that!

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Give me a break! What would have happened if this nincompoop had pulled this at the Kremlin? You think he would have been allowed to go his merry way?

So you would rather see the US more aligned to how the Kremlin may act? I don't claim to know how the Kremlin would react, but since you are associating it with suppression of freedom to expression, I'm inclined to disagree as I believe many in America are. I'm not in the mood to give you a detailed report on the importance of this freedom, but it IS a vital part of American society, one that I hope you learn to embrace someday.

[edit on 12-11-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
My point, Jamuhn, is that the masked one refuses to identify himself because he is afraid of what might happen to him in the bad old USA, when if the US were as bad as he claims he would have been hauled off and never heard from again, as would have happened in the USSR or any totalitarian state worth its salt.

These kinds of cheap theatrics aren't worthy of note, since anyone who has a legitimate grievance with the government can protest peacefully without fear of reprisal. Look at how much trouble Cindy Sheehan had to go to in order to get arrested.

I would have thought anyone could have understood my meaning without further clarification.

[edit on 2006/11/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I don't think he was trying to claim that the US was that bad already Grady. In fact, he specifically stated that the point was to protest what the US was becoming, as in not there yet, but turning into. The problem is that the government is starting to profile and keep track of peaceful protestors. Even this person was asked to remove the mask and identify themself.

Its also important to keep in mind that this redress of grievances was not directed only towards the supression of information and freedom of expression, but also towards other rights and restrictions of powers outlined in the Constitution.

Tell me Grady, when you start getting sick, what do you do? Do you start taking medication to prevent the sickness from increasing or do you wait until it becomes full-blown?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Tell me Grady, when you start getting sick, what do you do? Do you start taking medication to prevent the sickness from increasing or do you wait until it becomes full-blown?

It depends, but still there are plenty of avenues of redress that the one called "V" can take, including letter writing campaigns, lawsuits, lobbying, etc. to gain what he intends without dressing up in a Halloween costume to make his point.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Wasn't that the 5th of november.

Remeber remember the 5th of november
gunpowder treason and plot
I can think of no reason why gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
What a sight that would be, Parliament reduced to rubble.

Not that it's the real seat of power, but it would sure be a start

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn

It depends, but still there are plenty of avenues of redress that the one called "V" can take, including letter writing campaigns, lawsuits, lobbying, etc. to gain what he intends without dressing up in a Halloween costume to make his point.

Grady, he did exactly what your first "avenue of redress" was...he was doing letter writing campaigns. He was carrying and intending to deliver letters of grievance for himself and others. He was dressed up to make a point by not only representing the ideas represented by Guy Fawkes, but also the masks that our government is forcing people to put on. There is this kind of significance and depth in the arts in its symbolism and commentary. And obviously the costume was effective as it appears he got a lot of positive feedback from people around him.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Why does exercising the rights guarenteed in the bill of rights give you gas?
What do you think those rights were protected for?
Im glad our founding fathers didnt have irritable bowel syndrome.
I would expect this reaction from someone that lives in some communist country, but for an American to say it gives me chills. I am guessing you are an advocate of 'free speach zones'?

As far as your recommendations for his other avenues of redress, he was performing the letter writing campaign, and tell me what good are lawsuits and lobbying to the poor and oppressed?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Why does exercising the rights guarenteed in the bill of rights give you gas?
What do you think those rights were protected for?

I wish people would read my posts more carefully. My point is that the Constitution protects this man's right to do exactly what he is doing without the juvenile Halloween drama.

The very fact that no law enforcement agency that responded to his presence did anything more than question his motives and move on to more important matters demonstrates that his accusations against the republic are unfounded.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Yeah, but you didnt answer my question.
Why does it give you gas? What is upsetting about it?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   

It doesn't give me gas. That was a reference to a commercial many years ago and was intended to be humorous to those who might remember.

However, cheap theatrics in the political arena do annoy me, because such trivializes any cogent statement people might have to make.

Do you take "V" seriously? If so, fine.

But, I don't.

Is that clear enough?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

However, cheap theatrics in the political arena do annoy me, because such trivializes any cogent statement people might have to make.

What is your take on the Boston Tea Party Mr Grady?

Do you take "V" seriously? If so, fine.

But, I don't.

Is that clear enough?

I guess I do take 'V' seriously because I understand the point they were trying to make, which I feel is a very valid point.
I hope I am not offending you by asking you questions, that is not my intent.
Is that clear enough?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The Boston Tea Party was carried out against a very different form of government than we now enjoy. The colonists had real concerns for their safety in protesting unfair taxes and other offenses. There was no Constitution in those days.

I am not offended, but I don't quite understand why my original post and the follow ups were not sufficienct for others to understand my intent.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I don't think that you can argue that he is hiding his identity out of fear. The guy that went through this dry run and is calling for a mass of people to do it, seems pretty sincere. Normally, you're not allowed to wear masks in public. This makes sense. But, in this case, he's clearly tied it into his first ammendment rights for free speech, the wearing of the mask itself is the protest, is the free speech act. Thus, its protected. Certainly, there's going to be a problem if there is a large crowd of people wearing masks and protesting. ITs going to be tricky, they need to be absolutely and completely non-threatening. If they want to keep it safe and still effective, they should learn from this 'dry run' and eliminate the 'plastic dagger's, probably the cape too, just restrict it to the mask, to make it clear that there is no threat.
Of course, the fact that he met with no legal resistance, and only a few idiots who tried to stop him, shows that, there really isn't a need for V.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   

The Boston Tea Party was carried out against a very different form of government than we now enjoy.

But werent they 'cheap theatrics' in the 'political arena'?
Didnt you condem "V"s actions as 'cheap theatrics'?
V didnt destroy anything, because that would make him a criminal.
The Boston tea party was an act of terrorism/vandalism committed against merchants. Property was destroyed for a political purpose. Thats cheap theatrics in the political arena in my book.
So this is a different political arena? How many political arenas are there?

I guess one mans cheap theatrics are another mans boston tea party, and my point is dont be so fast to condem "V", because he is not alone in his fear of a government that sets up 'free speech zones' a government that films and arrests peaceful protesters, a government that wiretaps and renders and has 'secret prisons' set up in foreign lands.
No, V is not alone, and if I were near DC I would probably join him in his 'cheap theatrics'.

The real irony is that the entire political arena is nothing more than cheap theatrics.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Well I'll V....

I meen

well I'll be...

interesting article. Good read for a school library while ditching class

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The point of many protests is to draw the public's attention to the issue that is being protested and to educate the public about the issue. Theatre is a good way of teaching people something, because they can, in effect, experience the information for themselves through empathy with the dramatists. If one is trying to educate the public and raise public awareness, then a letter writing campaign, etc. doesn't work.

Grady, you seem more upset by the ensemble that is worn by a protester than actually listening to what their message might be. If the protester has a good point, who cares what they're wearing?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
If the protester has a good point, who cares what they're wearing?

If you want to protest, you either have to protest fashionably or not at all.

[edit on 13-11-2006 by Jamuhn]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join