It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mental time travel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
So I have been having this dream for a while...some times I even have it as a day dream. Basically I find a way to take my thoughts that I have now, basically my knowledge new personality and everything and somehow transfer them to myself in the past. Its more of like a psionic time travel if you would like to call it that...this is only a theory of course and a dream. Once I have come to myself in the past I basically take over my child thoughts around the age of 4 or 5, there I just go throughout my life.

Now I know this is the same concept of that movie butterfly effect but do you think it may be possible? I mean surely the mind has power that can cause memories to travel through time?

i mean look at this

man develops ability for time travel

scientific reasons

[edit on 12-11-2006 by ATSGUY]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I do know that through hypnosis (you can hypnotize yourself to do this) you can go back to your past and experience the events of that time. You can either choose to be a viewer and look at your younger self or get in the driver seat and see everything as you experienced it long ago.

I haven't seen the movie you speak of and I don't know what method if any was used to achieve such a state, but I do know that through self hypnosis, you can travel to the past. As for traveling to the future, I have no idea how to get there...

[edit on 12-11-2006 by Impreza]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
how do you know that youre actually time traveling, and not simply having vivid dreams using memories of your past?

[edit on 11/12/2006 by prototism]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Simple, astral projection. With your brain at lower Hz levels you can cause yourself to have out of body experiances. ie. timetravel

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Well me personally it was a dream, basically a day dream and a thought.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I remember they made a movie about mental time travel, Chris Reeve was the star in the movie.. I foregot the name of the movie though

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Well, I believe it is possible, and for this reason: Everything is in our heads, including "time". It's all perception, and we can control our perceptions, although I can't tell you how. I remember once when I was snowboarding I went off a jump, and when I landed my edge caught in some hard-packed snow and I went flying, tumbling over and over down the slope. At one point I was in mid-air, and I had a sudden thought that I needed to readjust to save myself from getting hurt. At that second, time literally slowed down. I was in mid-air for what seemed like about 30 seconds, and the whole while I was thinking, "Wow, this is weird, everything's going in slow motion." Then, while still in mid-air, I was able to adjust my body's position so that when I landed I was able to stop tumbling down the slope. As soon as I hit the snow again, time went back to normal speed. Now I know that wasn't time travel, but I was able to manipulate time somehow with my mind. I have not been able to do anything like this since, but I'll never forget it, and it made me realize that time is all in our minds, and it can be manipulated if we know how. I wouldn't even know where to start trying to figure out how to travel through time with your mind, but I do believe it's possible. I think, however, that your experience sounds more like a dream. Then again, dreams and reality are not that much different. It's all about perception. A complicated topic, but very interesting, indeed.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I believe it has something to do with timetravel because you think it does. You know it has something to do with time travel I bet. My first thougts when I read your post is that you are in some way able to do this. I think it is from the planetary alignment that happened beginning in 1988 and really opening up in 1993 til present. For whatever reason you are feeling this shift, so you can learn how to do this. Supposedly in 1993 the planets changed and for the first time in 33.000 years the negative block that the fear feeding aliens have had on this planet was removed. This is allowinig us to receive the planets powers so we can break the bonds of the 3rd dimension and also the linear time system we have been forced to believe. Time is not linear at all, just for us so we will be good fear producers and trapped.

My thoughts are you have a gift for this and you will learn more about it. This is what my intuition told me. I have even read stuff about this in a science magazine. So if man says it looks scientifically possible then you know it is true for sure. I was being sarcastic Take it for what its worth.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
As odd as it may sound, mental time-travel is actually far more plausible than the popular and streotypical H.G. Wells type of "time machine", especially regarding modern physics.

The idea of mental time travel is not necessarily new and has been used in an array of popular science fiction and drama stories, movies, and television shows. Some of these include:

1. Television's "Quantum Leap", wherein a time travel project dealing with deep-space probes, distant stars, and radioactive subatomic particles allows it's head scientist to send signals within his brain's neurons and masons back and forth through time.

2. "Somewhere In Time", a masterfull film starring Christopher Reeve and based on the novel "Bid Time Return" by often "Twilight Zone" author Richard Matheson, wherin the main character intentionally travels back in time via exhaustive self-hypnosis in order to meet a woman who has been in love with him for decades.

3. Film's "The Butterfly Effect", wherin the main character has the inexplicable (and unexplainable) ability to rewind time based around the notes of his own memory, and change the past.

4. "The Time-Traveller's Wife", a novel about a woman dealing with her husbands rare temporal disease, which bounces his memories around in time.

There are numerous other books, films, and teleplays on this topic, some of which are explained away as supernatural, and some that attempt to use very scientific means to explain the plausability of such phenomenon.

My personal research on the topic deals mostly with aspects of the human brain. Primarily the temporal regions. As in the film "Memento", there are numerous medical conditions which exist that can alter memory and the perception of time. These conditions can be thought of as a type of time travel. If you combine that with certain theories about how the brian stores information (see the book "The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot), future research may yet unveil a method for perfect recall of memory, which can be considered a type of time travel within your own mind (minus the actual being able to change the past).

Another book to look at that includes a few mental time travel techniques is "Time Travel: A New Perspective" by J.H. Brennan.

From a physics perspective though, AT&T has been working with teleportation for years and has (supposedly) had limited success in teleporting mass in the amount of a paper clip. In the far future, a combination of teleportation, brain mapping, and exotic subatomic particle collision may be able to send small amounts of matter back in time.

Say, sending the neural pathways of a grown man into the brain of that same man when he is younger? Moving small amounts of energy and mass back in time (like email messages and neurological signals) may be less complex and more energy-efficient than sending entire people back in time.

Purely science fiction at this point, but I'm working on a few books on the subject. Glad to know someone else out there has had similar daydreams. But don't we all kinda wish we could go back then, knowing what we know now?

top topics

join