It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZ Schools to Allow SMS Lingo in Exams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Schools in New Zealand have decided to allow students to use SMS lingo or text speak in exams. A spokesman for teachers declareed that this dicision was nescesarry because this is daily reality in class. These days students use sms language in daily life. There is only one exception for the English exam as students needs to control this language.

www.tech2.com
Kids of today prefer using acronyms like 'LOL', 'TTYL' not just for SMS or instant messaging, but even in actual interaction and–gasp–perhaps even phone conversations. While these words are not in the official Oxford and other dictionaries yet, schools in New Zealand have actually decided to allow the students to use SMS lingo or 'text-speak' in exams!

Naturally, the New Zealand Qualifications Authority is not going to encourage the user of 'non-English' words, but they said they'll allow '‘text-speak' provided the students show clear understanding of the subject in question.

Now the highly qualified and elderly examiners will probably need a crash course in SMS lingo just to be able to understand the students' papers to correct them.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can't believe they actually decided this, especialy schools have responsibility towards childeren to teach the right things, also in language. In a few years childeren think sms language is an actual language which you can use to speak to eachother without a mobile phone.

In my opinion they have to forbid it using it at school. It's a language that you use for the mobile phone but not when you speak to each other.

[edit on 12-11-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
What's the big deal? I'ts the 21st century shorthand. It will never be translated into a spoken language

apc

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
HAHA! I wouldn't worry too much about this catching on as a spoken language. I've encountered people say aloud, "BRB" and they are prompty laughed at for being so amazingly stupid. It's just a phase... they'll grow out of it. Not to mention, text messaging, in the manner we're familiar with, I expect won't last much longer than a decade.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
No offence, but how is this related to a conspiracy website?

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
They should allow it and just give anyone that uses it an F. Its the quickest way to separate the intelligent kids from the idiots.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Wow, I think the folks in NZ came up an even dumber idea than teaching ebonics.

GR8 WTG

[edit on 11/12/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Hmmm.

Do they get to use emoticons too?

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nova

It has happened before.

Where do you think pictographs and hieroglyphics came from?

Kids in ancient cultures were allowed to use emoticons in school and on their exams; as a result the cultures lost their ability to communicate via written language, and the only records that survived were the pics.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This really bothers me. How in the world do you manage to use SMS lingo in a writing exam??

apc

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
WtPotUS, iOtfampU, eJ, idT, pftcd, ptgW, astBoLtoaoP, doaetCftUSoA.

hmm... memorizing it just got a lot harder.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rai76
I can't believe they actually decided this, especialy schools have responsibility towards childeren to teach the right things, also in language. In a few years childeren think sms language is an actual language

English is a corruption of Middle English, a corruption of Old English, a corruption of German + French + Latin if I'm not mistaken. We could go further with each of those languages.

What's new? Computers. I'd say that's about it.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Ahhhhhh! Please don't encourage SMS or otherwise known as "I am so lazy I can't even speak proper engish"!!! It is ok with chat and cellphones because cellphones are especially hard to type and stuff. But on exams!!! Oh my Gosh. I am speechless. I can't even say how dumb that is. Oh well.

I mean seriously!!! I would expect that from America! Not from New Zealand or Old Zealand!

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Geez, I hope spell-checking software doesn't soon feature a check-box that allows this! I think it's happening somewhere outside the US (first, anyway) because from what I've experienced, texting is nowhere near as popular here as it is elsewhere. I guess I've been using cell-phones for about 8 or 9 years now and have never personally sent a text message (or is it txt-msg.)

I hate it when people say "lol" or "wtf" in person, talk about dumbing down society! Like Jay Leno said whilst making fun of such nonsense, "Soon, they'll invent a device that allows us to actually TALK to each other!"

This is one "cutting-edge" I'm glad we're not involved in! Imagine submitting your college or job application using such "txt spk."

[edit on 12-11-2006 by AlphaHumana]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nova

This is the ATSNN forum. The Above Top Secret News Network.

This is where you can post news and give your opinions about it. It does not have to do with conspiracy theories or conspiracies.

Every forum in ATS does not deal with conspiracies.

Have a look around the site and you will find many forums that don't (necessarily) deal with conspiracies.

[edit on 12/11/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
[
Where do you think pictographs and hieroglyphics came from?

Kids in ancient cultures were allowed to use emoticons in school and on their exams; as a result the cultures lost their ability to communicate via written language, and the only records that survived were the pics.

Erm. Just to be clear, this was a joke - not a hypothesis.

TG

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
"Text talk" isnt part of the English language so I dont know why they would allow it. I wish mobile phones were never invented.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Lord I read this and almost cried. I talk to my younger cousin (high school in U.S.) online and it takes a few minutes of me trying to figure out "text speak," I am 22 and I have a problem understanding it, how the heck is a school teach supposed to grade that, much less how are these kids going to do once they get to University, and their Prof's won't put up with SMS on exams?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
If we were transported back to the 'olde' days, the folks there would probably think we were total fools, speaking some unknown gibberish.........

This 'text speak' may be a natural evolution of language......or may fade like other fads have.....( Like man, who says, "Groovy!!" anymore?? Dig it??)

new topics

top topics

join