It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Based Sun Shade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   

In the past year, I've covered two different proposals on using space technology to create some sort of "shade" for the entire planet that would save us from global warming. In covering those stories, words like "radical" and even "outlandish" seemed appropriate.

Now, NASA has actually funded a more thorough study of a third "sunshade" proposal. Should I be worried that the government is actually thinking they need some sort of space-based fallback plan for the global warming problem?

The new (third!) sunshade solution is proposed by University of Arizona Steward Observatory optics expert Roger Angel. He suggests that we launch trillions of tiny (0.6 meters across) screens. The screens would be thin transparent disks with little 0.1 meter protruding fins with solar energy-gathering capabilities for position adjustment. The disks would essentially be lenses that would take a small amount of the sun's light (energy) and focus it away from Earth.
www.space.com...

I'm not sure how much 1.8% of the suns radiation is but it doesn't seem like too much.

Apparently even if we decided to do this it would take us 10 years minimum. They said they would have to launch an 800,000 unit stack of these every 5 seconds for 10 years until it was complete.

I'm not saying that this is a useless idea but waiting 10 years just to reduce the suns radiation by 1.8% just seems like it wouldn't be worth it.

It is a start since every single one of the lenses sent will be able to stay there forever and it wouldn't expend any extra energy. Wouldn't this ruin any chance of new satellites or anything launched into space? I'm thinking that whatever is being put into space would have to go through all the trillions of lenses.
Crisis

Edit: Added link

[edit on 12-11-2006 by 1Crisis]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This new idea is possible a turning point in history. We may be able to prolong the life of the earth, it's species, and all of the materials on it, long enough to be able to maintain life on another planet. Any thoughts? Does 1.8% really make that much of a difference?

new topics

join