It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran broadcasts spyplane footage of US fleet in Gulf

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Hmm, is that an F-14 directly across from the bridge? Kind of looks like the swept back wings of one. If so, the F-14 was retired earlier this September, and I don't think any carriers have driven into the Gulf in quite some time with Tomcats on them, unless this picture was taken of a Carrier leaving the Gulf. The Super Hornets basically phased them out.

[edit on 14-11-2006 by el_madmaster]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
that picture doesn't look quite right, the complemetn of planes does not look like those carried on carriers today. Does anyone have a bigger picture ?

I got to agree with you there Rogue. Also, were are the numbers on the carrier deck? Every US aircraft carrier I've ever been on or seen has the ship number painted in huge white letters on the flat top. I know what some might say, the planes are covering them, but usually the numbers are larger than the aircraft. Any current squids out there that can shed some light on if the Navy changed their practice of painting the ship number on the deck?

edit: I've been informed by a friend that currently they only put the ship number on the conning tower these days. I guess that dates me.

[edit on 11/14/2006 by PapaHomer]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
It could NOT have been in Iranian waters if that pic is true, because it needed to have been almost over the carrier to take that pic/footage, and that would mean the entire carrier would have to be in Iranian waters..

Oh really?

UAV's have sophisticated aerial imaging and vision systems, capable of picking up man-sized targets at several miles.

Iran has had Russian and American supplied UAV's, and has been developing their own UAV technology for over 10 years.

I think it's highly possible this could have been a UAV from miles out. You do not?

While I'm posting all of this to simply say, "So what?", I do not believe this was an Iranian UAV. I do not believe this because of several things:

* The severe lack of stability and control on the imaging output (video).
* The lack of apparent overlays, decals and indicators on the imaging output (video).
* The position, posture and configuration of the flight deck of that carrier. No carrier would be in a non-alert status while in the Persian Gulf during our presence in the Gulf in Iraq.
* The simple fact that radar would have picked up a hostile target and the SeaWhiz guns would have mowed the UAV into confetti long ago.

All of this simply means that, while possible, it's highly improbable that this was an "Iranian UAV" capturing images of a carrier "in the gulf".

[edit on 14-11-2006 by NextLevel]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by NextLevel
* The simple fact that radar would have picked up a hostile target and the SeaWhiz guns would have mowed the UAV into confetti long ago.

So you changed your mind?

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Seriously how could that video footage help them in any real way. They can fly over our carriers with tiny RC planes that at best could carry a 25 pound dummy bomb.

Thank you Bassplyr - you have said exactly what I am thinking.

The other thing that makes me laugh are the anti-Americans that post about the use of Russian and US UAVs and that they're been developing and modifying their own.

I mean FFS, what do they mean by devleoping their own? They went to Radio Shack, bought a few more remote control planes and stuck a camera on them. I mean really, when I saw their super advanced drone system I couldn't stop laughing. They're little RC PLANES!!!!!

Pokey Oats

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

The simple fact that radar would have picked up a hostile target and the SeaWhiz guns would have mowed the UAV into confetti long ago.

Ok let me repeat myself. the ships of every naval group in the arabian gulf region are constantly overflown by aircraft of Iranian origin.

No navy, Not the US navy, the canadian navy, the Royal Navy, Austtralian Navy, the New Zealand Navy, the Dutch navy, the German Navy, Any navy. NO navy can just blow an aircraft out of the sky without proof of hostile intent. Every captain is governed by rules of engagement covering this.
To prove hostile intent you would have to take into account a fair few factors. these include the Identification friend or foe code being transmitted (if transmitted at all). the flight path of the aircraft. the radar signature and frequency as determined by the electronic warfare operators. the speed of the aproaching aircraft and the frequency of any weapons that are active onboard. These are just a few of the factors that would determine the right to fire. The decision to classify an aircraft as hostile would not not be made by just one ship. All of the Radars on all of the friendly ships in the gulf are linked together so that each ship can see the same picture as every other ship.
What I am saying is that every ship in the region would have seen this aircraft, intercepted its Radar frequencies and determined immediatly that its speed was no where near that of a fast jet and that it was not carrying any weapons. The same goes for every aircraft in the region.

Don't believe for a minute that just because the aircraft was Iranian it would have been shot down. aircraft that are capable of inflicting far more damage than an unmanned drone fly over the US fleet daily. Often they even come onto the emergency radio frequency and identify themselves, just to make sure that the ships know exactly who they are and where they are from.

The allied forces out in the gulf (or any of the worlds hot spots) can not be seen to commit an act of aggression against a country that they are not at war with. Blowing an aircraft, manned or unmanned, out of the sky simply for overflying you in international waters would be seen as just that.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It certainly looks to me like a dated photograph,although I can see an E2C hawkeye on the foredeck so the photo cant be older than 1973 and the planes on the starboard foward side have the distinctive downturned tail surfaces of the F4, is was a fairly unmistakeable signature of that fine aircraft. The general shape of the flightdeck suggests a Nimitz class ship, the first of which ,CVN 68 ,was commisioned in 1975. The quality is too poor to be certain of course, but it looks more like the flight deck of an earlier era, maybe an early photo of the nimitz when she still had F4s.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If this is the quality of the "footage" from an "Iranian UAV" then they might as well be up-scaled RC model aircraft!

Even my web cam has a better picture quality than the lousy image we have here! Couldnt the Iranians have spent $20 and got a decent one from the chinese ?

This is like one of those UFO pics; blurry/out of focus and jerky video! If this is the best they can do they might as well pay google to do their recon for them!

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I've gotten better footage with my friends RC plane and a cheep digital camcorder duck taped to the nose. Go to Youtube and search "Flying Over Point Dume." We took shots of the malibu coastline on a bright sunny day...check out the quality then compare it to Irans "elite" UAV that is supposedly terrifying the US Navy. Then ask me if you are still worried about Irans RC gizmos. I'd say they have a lot to learn.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Everyones doubting the iranians.. how convenient.

"Maybe america will be stupid enough to hit iran,
and hopefully iran will totally mess you up.
Maybe then some of you stupid americans wont be so brason in declaring how mighty and strong you guys are."

Hey man # YOU! Agitated Bitch.

christ mate hit a nerve did I

thats what you get for illegially invading, occupying a country that did nothing wrong.

ILLEGIAL! do you understand that word?

so toughen up, honest criticism is whats needed in todays world where governments are lying through their teeth.

And in regards to the poster that said a dawn raid is to stupid, rah rah rah

what was it the germans believed?

'' the americans Wont attack during rain, and at dawn, and at the widest part of the ocean thats suicidal ''

Now, If Iran got togehter say, 1000 missle launching trucks,
hid them in houses, garages an so forht all over Iran.
had them prep'd..

then one day, at 2am.. gave the order for hezbollah to stage an all out attacko n Israel...

while bombs are going off all over Iraq and Israel they quickly order these units to speed to the coast, get to their range, then saturate the air with surface to ship missles.

In war do the unexpected.

Pokey Oats

Ahh man I love it.

Your right, it was the sort of thinking before Gulfwar 2..
why was that.. let me think..
why did the public believe Iraq was a powerful force.

ahh thats right, because YOUR GOD DAM ADMINISTRATION LIED TO THE WORLD ABOUT THERE CAPABILITIES..

IRAQ wasnt testing hunderds of missles and war games in view of the world were they....

Jesus how can you be so short sites..

Your government told your country, that iraq was a serious threat , had all these missles, rah rah rah and it would be a tough, casualty high BATTLE.

thats why your SHEEP beelived as such.

Irans a whole different bag of balls mate,
and If America is dumb enough to hit Iran you will come to realise this.. in the most horrific of ways.

Do I hope for it to happen.. hell know... another ILLEGIAL WAR wouldnt be good for anyone.

But if your dumb enough to do the same stupid move twice, well you deserve a spanking to wisen up, and stop you from doing it another time after that.
Your all so god dam passionate about people spurting anti ameerican feelings.

well booo f'n hooo

how about you look at your own government, and convert that passion into stoppping them from murdering thousands of innceont civilians..
from starting wars that are unsessecary...

Your government is the most curropt in the world at the moment, and you are following it blindly simply for your patrioticness

your reference to the ww2 incident is pointless.
it was 60 odd years ago mate...
Things have RADICALLY changed since then, and if you believe because 2 pilots brought down 50 german pilots in the 40's means your american military will wipe the floor in 2006... your very deluded my friend.

I mean look at the superior military advantage you have in Iraq.. your jets, tanks, aircraft carriers, uavs, satelites and so forht are fighting men with rpg's, automatic guns, and small primitive explosives... yet they are still killing you by the handfuls every week.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

[edit on 14-11-2006 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace

Everyones doubting the iranians.. how convenient.

"Maybe america will be stupid enough to hit iran,
and hopefully iran will totally mess you up.
Maybe then some of you stupid americans wont be so brason in declaring how mighty and strong you guys are."

Hey man # YOU! Agitated Bitch.

christ mate hit a nerve did I

thats what you get for illegially invading, occupying a country that did nothing wrong.

ILLEGIAL! do you understand that word?

so toughen up, honest criticism is whats needed in todays world where governments are lying through their teeth.

You should cut Princeofpeace a little slack, seems like he was a bit agitated.

See, most Americans can take a lot criticism and even a good dose of plain old hatred. We're pretty thick-skinned. We need to be since everyone in the world watches everything we do and everyone has their opinions about us and never hesitate to share them. Just comes with the territory of being the leader.

Most of us would probably be less well adapted to accepting criticism and hatred if we all lived in a country at the bottom of the world populated by the decendents of criminals and those running away from something. In a country of 7.6 million KM2 with only 20 million people who's most noteworthy contributions to the world inlcude Fosters, Crocodile Dundee, and Shrimp on the Barbie.

G'day Mate!

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I hope americans do believe Iran is incapable.
IT will be all the sweeter to see the look of surprise on their faces.

Correct the US probably has tech to shoot down a missle coming toward a carrier.
But what about 30 missles?

They wont send them in one at a time..

If I was against the US Fleet..
I would prepare a launch of hundereds, if not THOUSANDS of missles...
make it a major exercies..

at dawn, on a day never expected.. absoltuley saturate them with missles...

in one fowl swoop you could obliterate the entire fleet.

Also if they wish to look at the US navy with a UAV from several miles away I have to ask....what did that acomplish? You got yet ANOTHER already documented angle of the US navies standard carrier....so what tactical, political or even strategic advantage could that gain you?

The US navy can get pictures of the RN task force from several THOUSAND miles up with pinpoint accuraces and be able to tell you how many sugars the captain takes in his tea for crying out loud. What does this do?

And declare to the world you were simply removing the threat to your countries future...

I mean..... didnt American do that with Iraq?

Difference here is, IRaq had nothing to threaten american with,
where as america has her fleet on irans doorstep..

So pre-emptivley removing a threat that is right on your border... under US terms.. is legal!

[edit on 12-11-2006 by Agit8dChop]

Agit, research the USSR battle plan from 1960- 1991.
That was the EXACT plan for the USSR and was planned against (Ie why did the west invent goal keeper, phalanx, S2A missiles and even the idea of metal storm.

What exactly does a UAV picture of a carrier get you from a UAV these days? A pat on the back from russia?

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Darkbluesky,

Why the personal sounding kinda attack on a whole country? The place is pretty cool and the people I've met from there and New Zealand have been some of the best people I have come across in my travels. Just because you don't like a particular person doens't mean you have to smear the whole dang country.

People on all sides should pay a little more attention to that kind of think IMO.

Way off topic ...... now back to the discussion.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
...who's most noteworthy contributions to the world inlcude Fosters, Crocodile Dundee, and Shrimp on the Barbie.

G'day Mate!

Let's not forget:
    The bionic ear

The Combine Harvester

Superior varieties of produce including Federation Wheat and the Granny Smith Apple

The Sarich Engine - an orbital combustion engine

The 'Diff' (differential gears)

Black Box Flight Recorder - invented in 1958 by Dr David Warren at the Aeronautical Research Laboratories in Melbourne.

Variable Ratio Rack & Pinion Steering

Hyshot Scramjet Engine

Hills Hoist

The Electric Drill

The Two Stroke Lawn Mower

Latex Gloves

Xerox Photocopying - the technology behind xerography was developed at The University of Sydney by Professor O U Vonwiller in 1907.

Electronic Pacemaker - the heart pacemaker was developed at Sydney's Crown Street Women's Hospital in 1926

Discovery of the Helicobacter pylori bacterium which causes stomach ulcers and gastritis leading to its successful treatment.

The world's first vaccine to prevent cervical cancer with the potential to save hundreds of thousands of lives was developed by Professor Ian Frazer and others at the University of Queensland during the 1990s and eventually approved for use in USA in 2006.

Need I go on?

Look mate, I'm an Aussie living in the USA and I don't like the hatred that Americans have to cop either. I've made a number of American friends who I find to be highly compassionate people that will encourage and be there for you when the going gets tough.

But really, knocking a country that is one of your biggest allies at the moment isn't going to get you anywhere or promote good will.

The reality is there are leftist Americans that hate their own country as much as the foreigners hate it, how then are you to respond to them? By attacking their country? (Oh the irony, then you'd be in agreement with them both hating your country).

Learn who your friends are.

Pokey Oats

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Eh, it was probably a "Do we shoot the drone down, and start an incident...or do we let them see just how powerful we are, that we can safely ignore their spy drones? Hmm..."

After all, with the way the world is, Iran would have claimed it was part of a war exercise, and that the US had no reason to shoot it down. As someone already said, it's not like the location of our carriers is classified...

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pokey Oats
But really, knocking a country that is one of your biggest allies at the moment isn't going to get you anywhere or promote good will.

Learn who your friends are.

Pokey Oats

I knew the reaction I would get when I posted. I was bent by Agit8ted and many others who make their displeasure with the US known on a daily basis.

I apologize to my Aussie mates. Through business I have contact with many folks from Austrailia on a regular basis whom I like and respect. I respect the nation as well. I just get very tired of the daily attacks on my country and society by our "friends".

Also, it seems like some can give better than they can take.

[edit on 11/14/2006 by darkbluesky]

[edit on 11/14/2006 by darkbluesky]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I just tried two edits, but they didn't upload

One more important item...It just occured to me that Agit8ted in from NZ, not Austrailia.
......sorry mates.....nevermind.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
hey man, just makes it more the obvious the sort of people

Sorry aussies, this person who riddicules us americans for illegially occupying a country ISNT aussie.. so i dont mean those comments about you.
Kiwi's, sorry but you take the load

How dare he attack AMERICANS, because he hates american politics.
Them damn Kiwis but... look at what you represent

When its Americans killing innocent people, and lying to the world with a smirk and deceipt on a DAILY LEVEL..

well sorry, but your going to cop DAILY criticism.

Deal with it, its your country doing this BS.....

And if your standing up for your country DOING these things, well then you better be prepared to argue for your cause.

can obviously, there are some here who are prepared to argue for there cause.

and my cause is to remove the INNOCENT SLAUGHTER OF PEOPLE, and the ILLEGIAL OCCUPATION... all held together by LIES from your government, and the blind patriotic support he is given.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Hey listing all those Aussie inventions and you didnt have Howard Floreys discovery of Penicillin! saved Millions of Lives !

On the Flip side a Kiwi discovered something that could cost Millions of Lives, the work by Lord Ernest Rutherford that lead to Nuclear Fission.

Antipodeans !!

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Edit.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join