It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran broadcasts spyplane footage of US fleet in Gulf

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by carnival_of_souls2047
Anybody who thinks Iran has a weapons system that could take out a state-of-the-art U.S. Naval Vessel is simply living in LA-LA Land. Give me a break.

i know i mean what fool would think they can take out an american built vessel
i mean they are state of the art.
i mean lobbing anti ship missiles at it would be useless since the US can stop everything thrown at them

i mean screw Irans arsenal if anti ship missiles and so on they have no chance

sorry i couldnt resist

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Thanks JediMaster for the video find. Can anyone estimate the altitude of the drone? Late in the video there is a pretty far zoomed out view that makes the Carrier look very small indicating decent altitude for a small drone.

I am assuming it is a rather a small plane rather than the UAV's that carry weapons ala a Predator for example. If it only has a 6-8 foot wingspan I am guessing that radars would have a hard time telling it from a bird. Then again something that small couldn't carry anything to really threaten any ship as well.

If it was a large UAV that got so close undected then that might be cause for concern but then again I don't think they would try to shoot it down either.

Nice find. Cool to see how fast the planes launch and get up.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Everyones doubting the iranians.. how convenient.

"Maybe america will be stupid enough to hit iran,
and hopefully iran will totally mess you up.
Maybe then some of you stupid americans wont be so brason in declaring how mighty and strong you guys are."

Hey man # YOU! Agitated Bitch.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Vagabond, that last one re: the korean subs-

Elvin Sniper, for only your second post on ATS, that was awefully nice. I look forward to more, and welcome to the site!

So I have a question folks. Could it be that the US actually did shoot that UAV down, because in this case, clearly the drone was in the immediate area while there were carrier aircraft in the sky? Also, isn't it an assumption that those planes launching off the carrier were taking off to pursue the drone? They could just as easily have been doing routine patrols or whatever, and the drone may never have been spotted at all, or picked up on radar- if it was small enough. And with them saying that the drone shot 10 videos, it would appear that they have quite an effective little bird there, if that was true.

I am STILL having a hard time believing the US would let anything like that near a carrier, intentionally, and not pluck it out of the sky. Hasn't Iran shot down any of the drones the US has been sending into their airspace for quite a while now? And further, why would that be considered an act of war, as some have said here?

I just don't get it. Since when has it been ok, and worse, desirable to have a spyplane of ANY kind over one's territory or assets? Is it not the right of any country catching a spyplane over it's territory or even in international waters over it's assets to shoot it down? This is where I am confused.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
If the US was so confident about not losing the Eisenhower it would be in the Gulf right now. The Ike is in the Arabian Sea and it will remain there during operations. It's the marine carriers in the gulf that will pay the price.

Nothing is invincible. The Titanic wasn't unsinkable, the Bismark wasn't unsinkable and an aircraft carrier isn't invincible. They can only track so many targets and Iran has thousands upon thousands of cruise missles and state of the art Sam sites all thanks to Russia.

On top of that but their diesel subs are extremely silent and the US is having a hard time tracking diesel/electric boats nowadays. It's their biggest fear.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
NP on the video folks...

I just have a question here for the Navy folks...

Is it SOP to have that many aricraft on the deck when entering possible hostile waters ?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Yes Jedi Master carriers cruise hostile waters with planes on the deck. They are basically its only defense so you want to have them ready to fly.

And I think the last thing we need to worry about is Iranian surveillance. I was on the Nimitz in the gulf and we were buzzed on several occasions directly overhead by Iranian P-3's. No shooting at them and they were manned and flying at under 1000 ft.

If there is something to worry about its definately the anti-ship missiles Iran has throught the Straights of Hormuz. During transit through the straight deep draft ships have to follow a set course to safely navigate the water and the shore is very close allowing for little reaction time to missle attack (sub one minute). Not a good place to be if at war with Iran.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I keep hearing about diesel electric subs and without major tanker support I seriously doubt that any of the N. Korean subs could get close enough to the US fleet to successfully launch a missile. BTW Sonar isn't the only way to track subs. Every time a diesel sub comes up to take a breath, it's easily is spotted by radar and infrared sensors and depending on weather and atmospheric conditions they even been spotted from space by spy satellites. Diesel/ electric sub are severely limited in range and submerged operations when compared to nukes. They're cheaper to build and are great for protecting your home water against subsurface attacks but every time they go submerged they're have extremely limited operating time when compared to nukes. It's all about energy storage and nuke subs have got them beat hands down in that dept.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

ahhh! the revionist version of the second world war! I love this version! you know, how the US didnt get involved for 2 years and only gave material support.
I dont know who is writing your history books but as I recall england had pretty much been fought to a stalemate. They were barely holding their own against the nazis and were getting slammed with V-1 and V-2 rockets all the time.

FFS, what do they teach US kids about history?

The US entered the war after the events in Pearl Harbour in 1941, thats two years after the ground war in Europe started in earnest in 1939.

Britain had already fought back the Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain - and subsequently staved off any chance of a Nazi invasion BEFORE the US entered the war in 1941.

V1 rockets were not deployed until mid 1944, and the V2 operations started in late 1944.

I don't know who is writing YOUR history books but they know bugger all about history.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

ahhh! the revionist version of the second world war! I love this version! you know, how the US didnt get involved for 2 years and only gave material support.
I dont know who is writing your history books but as I recall england had pretty much been fought to a stalemate. They were barely holding their own against the nazis and were getting slammed with V-1 and V-2 rockets all the time.

FFS, what do they teach US kids about history?

The US entered the war after the events in Pearl Harbour in 1941, thats two years after the ground war in Europe started in earnest in 1939.

Britain had already fought back the Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain - and subsequently staved off any chance of a Nazi invasion BEFORE the US entered the war in 1941.

V1 rockets were not deployed until mid 1944, and the V2 operations started in late 1944.

I don't know who is writing YOUR history books but they know bugger all about history.

How would they fare against future Nazi plans of invasion? If it had not been the Lend-Lease act, Britain and the Soviet Union wouldn't have been able to put up a strong enough fight against Germany. Last time I checked, before the US invaded Europe with support, Britain was virtually stuck to its island with no hope of an invasion of Europe. 2/3s of the trucks in the Soviet Union were made in the USA. Almost every single locomotive which was critical in delivering troops and supplies to the front lines was given to the Soviets by the US. Let's not even mention the fact that the Soviet Union was almost entirely dependent on the US for fuel for its aircraft. We can go on and on, but there's no reason to play a pissing contest.

Edit - sorry for errors, it's late

[edit on 11/13/06 by pugachev]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

Originally posted by avriel
I spent two six month periods in the Gulf region in 1995 -1996. At that time I was a radar operator onboard a type 42 destroyer of the Royal Navy. I can tell you all that this footage is real and up to date.

Hey, thanks for weighing in. Glad to have an expert opinion here.

Confirmed my thought that this is real.. and those planes aren't F4s.

LOL, I'm curious how exactly does a radar operator qualify as a photo interpretation expert. Those planes certainly do not look like F-18's. So there is no professional confirmation here at all.
He qualified his remark by saying that Iranian planes overflew his Brit destroyer, so the same must be of this picture. But once again the aircraft do not look correct.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   

LOL, I'm curious how exactly does a radar operator qualify as a photo interpretation expert. Those planes certainly do not look like F-18's. So there is no professional confirmation here at all.

I never said the aircraft looked like F18's. however I am trained in aircraft recognition, Eos camera operation, radio comms and Radar. Being a radar operator doesn't mean that you do just one job in the operations room.

Anyway, it has been confirmed on here by a seperate source that the P3 orions from Iran regularly fly over the military ships in the area. These aircraft film the ships, monitor their Radar frequencies and communications traffic. What I was saying was that this film/picture is almost certainly real. every ship in the gulf is overflown daily by the Iranian military. The fact that it could have been filmed from an unmanned drone aircraft makes no difference, it just means that they are using a different aircraft.

This is just Iran trying to make it look like it has scored a minor military victory when in fact it has just released film footage of an every day occurance

One more thing, for those people asking how the Iranians knew the whereabouts of the American fleet. In the Gulf there is no where to hide. It is narrow and shallow. Also There is only one way in and one way out and thats through the straits of hormuz. Just like Nato does at its Gibralter listening and plotting station with ships entering the med, Iran logs every ship entering and leaving the gulf.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
To be strictly correct the US entered the war on April 15, 1941 when FDR signed an order authorizing US Army Air Corps pilot to resign their commissions to fly with the American Volunteer Group in China. This is considered the first US special ops of WW2. It's long been rumored that Chennault's retirement was actually a ruse as he was already considered the most forward thinking tactical fighter pilot in the US Army Air Corps. There was a lot of shady goings on in late '30's between the supposedly neutral US and both the Allies and Axis powers.

Many of the UK's and Nazi Germany's machine tools were made in the US or of US design under license. Most of the USSR's factories were modeled after US factories.
Through out the 1930's the US was out producing the combined industrial output of the European countries even in the depths of the Great Depression. It was much like China and India today, whatever the Europeans could produce the US could produce a similar product at a lower cost more quickly.

I've little doubt that the Iranian military can produce a UAV with off the shelf technology right now. Here's the ironic thing the darn thing is probably using a GPS tracking system to navigate and keep its return signal focused on the receiver. It wouldn't be to terribly secure if it were use broadcast style return signal to return its video to the senders. All the Navy would have to do would to defeat it would be to jam the return feed and send back their own signals. What would be even funnier would be to somehow our ELINT guys overrode the remote operating signal and use it to spy on the Iranians using their own spy plane.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by pugachev

How would they fare against future Nazi plans of invasion? If it had not been the Lend-Lease act, Britain and the Soviet Union wouldn't have been able to put up a strong enough fight against Germany. Last time I checked, before the US invaded Europe with support, Britain was virtually stuck to its island with no hope of an invasion of Europe. 2/3s of the trucks in the Soviet Union were made in the USA. Almost every single locomotive which was critical in delivering troops and supplies to the front lines was given to the Soviets by the US. Let's not even mention the fact that the Soviet Union was almost entirely dependent on the US for fuel for its aircraft. We can go on and on, but there's no reason to play a pissing contest.

Edit - sorry for errors, it's late

[edit on 11/13/06 by pugachev]

If theres no need for a pissing contest, why are you trying to start one? I was stating the facts as they stand to someone who obviously knew nothing about it. I did not knock the US contribution, although I think you have overestimated it somewhat, as the USSR took 64% of the military casulaties, compared to the US/UK's 2% a piece. Yes the US supplied the logistics, and everyone in Europe I'm sure is grateful for that, but at the end of the day the price in people was paid more by the Soviets than anyone else.

But just so you know, after Overlord and the commencement of Barbarossa, there were no future plans to invade the UK. The key was timing. Hitler wanted to storm Western Europe before the British Empire could mobilise properly. After the Battle of Britian he was literally dead in the water because the Germans could not compete with dealin with RAF fighter cover and the strength of the Royal Navy in the English Channel, an invasion force would have been ripped to pieces.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Addressing the sunburn missile I was wondering about the Tesla type shield US has for tanks and if they can apply it to a carrier? Would that stop a sunburn?
Being so close they must not be worried about any sunburn missile.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Quick run away I said run away hide.The Iranians can take a picture of a boat oh no it is too horrible to watch.

So I can walk out and go to the beach and take a picture of a boat so i am the technological equal of Iran awesome.

[edit on 13-11-2006 by spinstopshere]

[edit on 13-11-2006 by spinstopshere]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I hope americans do believe Iran is incapable.
IT will be all the sweeter to see the look of surprise on their faces.

Correct the US probably has tech to shoot down a missle coming toward a carrier.
But what about 30 missles?

They wont send them in one at a time..

If I was against the US Fleet..
I would prepare a launch of hundereds, if not THOUSANDS of missles...
make it a major exercies..

at dawn, on a day never expected.. absoltuley saturate them with missles...

in one fowl swoop you could obliterate the entire fleet.

And declare to the world you were simply removing the threat to your countries future...

I mean..... didnt American do that with Iraq?

Difference here is, IRaq had nothing to threaten american with,
where as america has her fleet on irans doorstep..

So pre-emptivley removing a threat that is right on your border... under US terms.. is legal!

[edit on 12-11-2006 by Agit8dChop]

Hey,I live here! Don't talk like that because I am ultra sensitive to anyone demeaning my bankrupt militarized country that uses soldiers as poker chips on the world domination table and cares nothing but talking points for the families who lose their loved ones in zero sum gain battles.

Just because our country veers toward cloaked imperialism in oil dominated economic civilizations, that doesn't mean we are doing anything suspicious or not righteous. I read drudge report, i know what's going on and plus im an american. That's automatic smug entitlement for the whole wide universe. It's understood silently.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbob
I love this thread.

A fake photo, and so much Anti-American hate! The wolves come out to spew thier hate when they can. Keep on hating baby you look so smart and special.

How is it hate to criticize a country? Don't you do that as well? Speaking as a american (who sees beyond a nationalist veil) it's kind of transparent when someone bellows "So much Anti American hate Keep on Hating Baby" It's from the Michael Savage playbook, imo. Translation: You can get outraged and criticize heavily but a foreigner? Hell No Because we are number 1

If you criticize any other country other than yours and their foreign policy that makes you a bonafide hypocrite in the highest order. We shouldn't be trouncing around Iran. How would you like it if Chinese military fleeet was wandering off the coast of California? I think you would be outraged. But that's your myopic world that you live in, SBob. You can't see the damage our country and it's foreign policy is doing in selected geographic areas. IMHO, this is dangerous and reckless ideology in which seems to be on display 24-7 in this country.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRGERBIK
plus im an american. That's automatic smug entitlement for the whole wide universe. It's understood silently.

Here, here! I'll drink to that. Here's to the superiority that is the United States of America.

I see you point. Iran has every reason to be spying on and checking up on a fleet that's powerful enough to destroy much of their country. Not to mention the fact that it's parked in their backyard. I'd be checking up on it too. They would be stupid to not care. Ironically they may be doing nothing more than observing their downfall.

Iran: "We're in your sky, spying on your ships"
U.S. "We're in your base, killing your dudes"

I am in thy library, executing a grammatical procedure of great destructive force against thy lexicon.

[edit on 13-11-2006 by dbates]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   

America might win a war, but as previously posted
Iran will put up a fight,and cost many american lives and much of the war machines.

This sounds like the same kind of gump that came from Anti-Americans before Gulf War II. Remember how scary and deadly the Elite Republican guards were to be?

Iran displayed there missle tech not long ago,
they have nuclear research capability, jets... speed boats submarines..

The Iranian Air force would be decimated within 24 hours for two reasons.

1) The US has Multi Ace pilots from Vietnam, Korea and WWII that have written tactics, lecture and train modern pilots. This experience and level of training would result in a lot of dead Iranian pilots.

2) Fascisms have a problem where they don't like to teach their people how to think because it could undermine their fascism. Why was half the North Vietnamese Airforce wiped out in one day when F4 Phantoms tricked them into engaging? Because the pilots were not trained to think and in real combat made mistake after mistake that a green WWII pilot would never have made; such as going into a turn and then changing direction right into the sights of an engaging aircraft.

Maybe america will be stupid enough to hit iran,
and hopefully iran will totally mess you up.
Maybe then some of you stupid americans wont be so brason in declaring how mighty and strong you guys are.

Your wishful thinking is both disgusting and misguided.

Technology is one thing, but having the will to fight an enemy in war is another.

You should tell that two the 2 P-38 pilots that took on 50 Meschersmitt-109s in WWII and won! The German pilots were highly experienced, highly motivated, aggressive and capable - far moreso than any Iranian pilot would be. The P-38 however was massively more technologically superior to the M-109.

Pokey Oats

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join