It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Shot Six Times In the Head Lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- A Brazilian woman who was shot six times in the head after an altercation with her ex-husband was out of the hospital and talking to the media on Saturday.

"I know this was a miracle," 21-year-old housewife Patricia Goncalves Pereira told Globo TV. "Now I just want to extract the bullets and live my life."

Pereira was shot Friday in the small city of Monte Claros, about 900 kilometers (560 miles) north of Sao Paulo, after quarreling with her former husband, who was reportedly upset because she refused to get back together with him. She was also shot once in the hand.

Doctors could not explain why the .32-caliber bullets did not penetrate Pereira's skull and didn't even need to be extracted immediately.
www.cnn.com...

Holy crap! I've always thought that if I was ever under-fire my adrenaline would kick in and I would be able to take down my current attacker if I was shot a couple of times, but I would never think of surviving six shots to the head.

This woman is a friggin' tank. She must eat her vegetables and drink LOTS of milk.
I guess this just goes to show you how women can take just as much as a man can.

Anybody know anything about 32 Calibur bullets?
Crisis

Edit: Added link

[edit on 11-11-2006 by 1Crisis]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I can't seem to find anything about 32 caliber bullets, or 32 caliber guns. Does anyone know if these weapons are just generally weak? I'm thinking that the weapons that use 32 caliber bullets are commonly weak which is why the lady hadn't died from them.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I don't have any experience with the .32ACP, if that was the round used and I suspect it was. It is said that European cartridges are hotter than US cartridges, but I don't know if this is true or, if it is, why. This incident happened in Brazil, so it's hard to say what brand of round might have been used.

There is a .32NAA, which I had not heard of before today, that is supposed to be a very good defense round, but again I have no experience with it.

This thread really belongs in the Weaponry forum, where there are many weapons aficianaodoes, but you can do some research at the link below.

Personally, I don't know under what circumstances a .32 caliber round would not penetrate a human skull. There must be a logical explanation, but based on the information available, a miracle is as good an explanation as any.

Google Search

[edit on 2006/11/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Ok , I will have a stab at an answer

There are so many factors that could have affected the performance and lethality of the rounds fired , like :

A revolver so badly worn and “ sloppy “ that it vented a large percentage of the propellant

Or a barrel so badly eroded that the bullet barely engaged the riffling at all .

Or a barrel so badly fouled that it significantly impeded the bullets progress – leading to sub par muzzle velocity .

Or old ammunition , incorrectly stored for years which caused the propellant to degrade

Or ………… you get the picture

The condition of the weapons / ammo needs to be examined .

But even if the weapon was in serviceable condition , issues like range , angle of impact – bullet profile and construction would all have a bearing on the lethality of shots fired .

.32ACP , is quite a weak round , but far weaker rounds have demonstrated one shot lethality .

That 6 rounds all failed to penetrate is unusual , granted – but did the woman have an abnormally thick skull , and very hi bone density ? The story does not say .

My take on it , is that it is just one of those “ statistical spikes “ , that are largely unexplainable , like flipping 20 heads in a row under controlled conditions . it is very unlikely – but it does happen from time to time .

Handgun fire is not automatically lethal – there was a famous case where a LEO shot a suspect 6 times with a .357 magnum , a quite powerfull pistol load – the suspect not only survived , but was able to shoot the policeman twice , fatally wounding him , then exit the crime scene under his own power

But as a contrast , during WWII and other conflicts – silenced pistols firing the .22lr cartridge [ less powerful than .32acp ] were used for assassination – with 2 shots to the head being the recommended “ killing shot “

Shooting someone in the head is an art , not a science – there are no guarantees of what the exact outcome will be. Occasionally you have to shoot them several times until the result you want is achieved

Lastly , Stories like this are what the media seize upon

If she had died the headline would have read “ why did the psycho shoot the poor woman 6 times “

And the implication would be that shooting someone six times in the head is manic overkill .

The media will find a way to spin any story .

Hope that helps .

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I'd attribute the survival to Divine Intervention.

Yes, the .32ACP (didn't say if that's the round) is relatively weak. The weapon/ammo problems listed above could certainly account for her survival, or if being "shot in the head" could also mean some grazing shot. Distance would have an effect as well.

Could have also been shot with the .32 S&W Long, which is not as "hot" as the ACP, even though it has more powder capacity, or the older, even weaker .32 S&W - both of which are typically found only in lead bullets in factory ammo.

There's also the .32 H&R Magnum, but that's got more ommf than any of the other .32's listed above.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zhenyghi
I'd attribute the survival to Divine Intervention.

ok , that is a perfetly valid opinion . BUT :

if a " divine force " as the means , motive and oportunity to conduct micro management of such situations , the individual manipulation of 6 consequitive projectiles , allowing them to be fired and cause wonds , but simetaneously ensuring the wounds were not fatal was IMHO over elaboration bordering on the farcical .

the woman still suffered serious head trauma , and multiple lacerations from the bullets . requiring medical treatment etc - i am sure she is very glad to be alive , but if i was in her position i would wonder why the " divine power " did not spare me the suffering of being shot 6 times , both physical and psychological

just my 0,02 groats - but if i was a divine force , attempting to save that woman from the fatal shooting - the i would have merely caused the trigger sear to fail , before the first shot was fired . but thats just my opinion .

if the " divine force " wished to as it were " show off " then 6 consequetive misfires would have sent just as clear a message

PS - the issue of a " divine force " possesing the means / motive / oportunity to intervene so casually at such a level is an entirely serperate argumen , which belongs in a religion forum on ATS , not here .

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Settle-down, here's a banana.

I suppose I should have put a wink at the end of my comment. I meant it to be (partly) in gest.

top topics

join