It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans convicted on terror charges in Vietnam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
So if you haven't heard already, three Vietnamese-Americans were convicted on terror charges in Vietnam. Due to current political situations, they were given very lenient sentences by Vietnamese standards.

It is highly unusual for Vietnam to give a lenient sentence for national security crimes, especially in such a high-profile case. But the quick resolution to the diplomatically sensitive trial could end a distraction from APEC and Vietnam's entrance into the World Trade Organization, which was approved this week.
All on trial were accused of plotting to smuggle radio equipment into Vietnam to broadcast a call for a revolution to topple the government.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have two hypothetical questions. The first is, what if three foreigners were brought in on similar charges in the USA? Obviously our freedom of speech laws make it much easier to get away with something like this. But how much trouble do you think a foreigner would get in for say, setting up a pirate radio station calling for the overthrow of the current US government? I'm curious as to whether or not something like this has happened before in this country.

An indictment said the scheme was hatched by the Government of Free Vietnam, a California-based organization that the Vietnamese government considers a terrorist group.
It is one of many anti-communist groups founded by Vietnamese refugees in the United States. Many of its leaders are soldiers of the former South Vietnamese Army who fled Vietnam after the war ended in 1975.
The Government of Free Vietnam group is run by Nguyen Huu Chanh, aka Tony Nguyen, who is wanted in Vietnam for failed plots to bomb the Vietnamese Embassy in Thailand and buildings in Vietnam.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Second hypothetical question, and yes I realize that this would never happen, but regardless: would the above (US 'harboring' what the Vietnamese government consider terrorists) justify a Vietnamese invasion of the US? Just curious as to what everyone thinks. Laterz

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Hmm? Three US enters the vientamese country and enters there and ends up making this up where they received no orders from the US federal government. I would label these three citizens as terrorists (for trying to change another foreign government's policies). This could affect our relationship with them and they most likely will trust us less then they did before.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Very thought provoking questions.
I hope you get some responses that are thought out and not just gut reactions.

I seem to recall a story not too long ago about a guy in New York that got arrested for terrorism because he was rebroadcasting some contraversial satalite program.
Im sorry buy my details are a bit foggy, I just remember the gist of the story being that he was airing something that the CIA or FBI considered subversive. That kinda relates to this story IMO.

My response to your first question would be that if this were to occur in the post 9-11 USA that the 'terrorists' would probably be detained, rendered, and waterboarded into confessing any number of potential crimes.
Sad comment I know, but what do you expect out of a nation that once called itself the 'home of the brave' and now has a phobia of bearded men in foreign lands chanting anti-western rehtoric. Classic double-think.
Im sure you have seen the stickers somewhere that say "NO FEAR!" but you probably never noticed the fine print at the bottom which reads (except bearded men in foreign lands)

My response to your second question would be to use the present neocon thought process and say that if Vietnam was more mighty than the USA it would not only have the right but the duty to invade and occupy in order to secure its future. I believe the thought is to nip it in the bud before it becomes a big problem.
So yes, if Vietnam was bigger and stronger than us it would justify them invading us.

Of course that is not how I personally feel, I dont think Vietnam would be justified in invading us because the so called 'terrorist' group was in the USA. I think that the 'terror camp' scenario is a very flimsy reason to invade anybody.

Again, nice thought provoking questions! Help deny double-think!

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo:
I seem to recall a story not too long ago about a guy in New York that got arrested for terrorism because he was rebroadcasting some contraversial satalite program.
Im sorry buy my details are a bit foggy, I just remember the gist of the story being that he was airing something that the CIA or FBI considered subversive. That kinda relates to this story IMO.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! Would anyone else happen to know more about the above story?

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Here is a lead...this should get you started.. en.wikipedia.org....
I hope you get some responses, maybe nobody wants to think about double-think.

top topics

join