It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best of Social Issues

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
In this thread we are going to initiate a "Best of..." list for the Social Issues forum, as it has come to my attention that each forum should have one.

In order to do this in the most equitable fashion possible, I am going to ask members to submit the threads that they believe have enough merit to be among the best.

These do not have to be new threads, but they should be threads that have a broad appeal and a lasting value, regardless of how circumscribed the initial post may have been.

Many of our best threads start out with a minimal scope, only to burst into florid discussions of topics that have the unmistakable ring of eternity in them.

So, let the nominating begin and as time passes and we get some input, we can refine both the list and the process.

[edit on 2006/11/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I'll start by nominating the two top threads that have clearly dominated the Social Issues forum on PTS, with nearly twice the replies of any other threads in the forum (at the time of this post):

James the Lesser's Pro_Life Violence

GradyPhilpott's The Homosexual Agenda

Great threads guys!

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Why is race such a taboo subject?
Are Drug Abusers Criminals?
Solving Illegal Immigration

All three of these threads have had several members putting serious efforts into their posts. Some good discussions and I believe all three still have room to maneuver for more discussion in the future. All three questions are timeless. They are issues we will face for many years to come.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The Social Forum has formed a core of members who post in it quite often. I'm a little surprised more members have not pitched an effort here. I have several others I feel are more than deserving, so here goes:

On Patriotism - Why 11 Million Cubans Love Fidel
Does Deviant Behavior Have a Physical Cause?
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Criminal Act?
sex offenders..how would you deal with them
Legal Prostitution
NAMBLA: North American Man/Boy Love Association
Is Paedophilia Just Another Sexual Preference?

A steady mix of insight and controversy. Some great reads here.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Thanks to both chissler and TrueAmerican for their valued input.

Having threads nominated by participants in the forum is the most efficient and fair way of assembling a meaningful list of "Best of Social Issues" threads and, of course, there are real benefits to being an active member of the Social Issues forum.

Keep up the good work and to all those who also participate in and read our forum, please join us in acknowledging the good work of our members.

Chissler has been a prolific contributor to Social Issues. Here are a few by chissler that meet criteria, in my judgement:

AIDS: The Social Disease
Suicide: Who is the Real Victim?
Are Drug Abusers Criminals?
Homeless -- Pity or Looking to Help?

Here are some good topics posted by others:

donwhite:

Social Issue: On Economies - The Minimum Wage

marg6043:

Sexism, has you been a victim of it?

The Vagabond:

Who Owns You?

Benevolent Heretic:

The Long History of Marriage (Straight and Gay)

junglejake:

Proud To Be Gay, Ashamed To Be Straight

DragonsDemesne:

Homosexuality: Genetic Origins or Lifestyle Choice?

WeBDeviL:

The Moral and Ethical Decline of America

I will post others, as I find them.

[edit on 2006/11/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ahh Yes. I second this one to anyone who has not read it yet.

Proud To Be Gay, Ashamed To Be Straight

junglejake's thread has had a great run. I've read through it extensively, but have not posted in it. I recommend it to anyone who is reading this.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'm adding this one to the list. Although it really hasn't gotten much in the way of response, it is of a theme that we should promote here at Social Issues and that is taking a look at the positive side.

We are a species prone to criticism and such is always a part of improvement, but the other side of the coin is the offering of ideas to actually improve things and this thread meets that criterion.

Positive Things

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I gotta say that I like this one for it's purely positive nature and genuine humanistic value.

Help Me Pay it Forward

Semper

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm going to add this one to the list, if no one objects. Abortion is certainly one of the hot button issues of our time and perhaps of all time.

This thread has also the advantage of being of a general tone.

The Great "Social Issues" Abortion Debate!

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Because It Was The Right Thing To Do

A good subject to consider anytime.

[edit on 2007/1/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Real Talk about White Privilege
A License To Breed?
Society's Victim Mindset
What would you say about a White History Month?
"Sport Killings" of the homeless on the rise

Some of these I agree with, some I don't, but regardless of our own personal opinions, these threads contain some great posts which are very thought provoking. If you have not read these threads yet, I high, highly recommend them.

Kudos to the OP's for their creativity, and the emotion that instilled into our posts.

---

I'm Intrepid and I'm appearently a racist.....

This thread has been closed, so a member would not be able to post, but it is well worth the read. The thread is very long, and it progressed very rapidly, but it is a great read. Again, a lot of emotion went into this thread and some of it can be used as a "How Not To Post". But it is another thread that member's should not pass up.

All of which are worthy of a nomination into the Best Of Social Issues.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Let's not forget the Best of... thread.

We have had a lot of activity on the forum of late, so let's do some nominating and also, I'd like to hear some feedback on how best to determine an actual list of the Best of....

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I thought my thread, If You Don't Like Something, Leave it Alone! , was pretty good.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Shameless self-promoter!

[edit on 2008/1/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
here’s a wonderful piece of article that has completely awakened me from the mind as well as the soul. I hope to be the same and do the same as you have mentioned in your article.This artical looks very good...we used to follow it......
www.mynetpharma.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Just wanted to point out that a large number of these threads are now no longer linking correctly. I suppose this area of the forum hasn't been maintained for quite some time.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Social issues is relate to the people and the through ATS tha number of people share many of the thing in general. so it is best. If you want to write dissertation then you can visit www.dissertation-help-services.co.uk... .
It is very helpful in dissertation writing.

edit on 9-8-2012 by johnboucher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Social issues is generated by the people because it is fully related by the public. And you can write assignment about the social issue with help of this sites:- www.assignmenthelp.us... || www.assignmenthelplite.com... . These are the best site for the Assignment writing about any topics.

Assignment Help || Buy Assignment

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
ust going to throw in my two cents here. Although I acknowledge the argument that the school is expected to be uncompromising when it comes to the safety of their students, I also think their decision to let this teacher go shows a remarkable lack of compassion and understanding.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join