It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is a Nation of Peace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Today is Veterans Day.

November 11, 2006. It was called Armistice Day before 1954 when the Republicans and Pres. Eisenhower changed the name. I have not looked in the CIA Factbook but I’d guess the majority of Americans living today were born after 1954. That same Congress and president also put the phrase, “In God We Trust” on our currency for the first time (Lincoln had added it to our coins in 1864). The Congress and president also added the words “Under God” to the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States over the objections of the author’s family.

In 1952, Eisenhower who to some part owed his victory over the Democratic candidate Adlai Stevenson, who was a divorced man, because the Republicans hd made an issue of that especially in the south, known as the Bible Belt. Republicans around the country stole all the copies of the book, “Eisenhower Was My Boss” by Kay Summersby, out of public libraries. She was a nice enough lady, but a Brit by birth. She was assigned to be Ike’s driver when he arrived in London to lead Operation Overlord. She has at least one other distinction: She was the only person to enter World War 2 as a British Army private and to end War 2 as an American Army captain and American citizen. Hey, our immigration policy was a lot simpler in those halcyon days of World War 2.

But I did not mean to recite old news. All day, today, our tv has been filed with Veterans Day parades, speeches ad nauseam by veterans and wanna be veterans. Personal remembrances of people who fought in famous battles. Wreath laying at Arlington National Cemetery at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

But, if exuberant patriotism is not your particular fare, then what else did our tv have to offer? Well, between 2 PM and 6 PM, I’ve copied some of the following programs available to our young people who spend a lot of time in front of this electronic wonder. Remembering the Brits, “A Bridge Too Far.” Our own “Patton.” One of the historical lines from the George C Scott film was that Patton was the richest man in the US military. These were followed by the “Tora Tora Tora” movie about the attack on Pearl Harbor from the Japanese perspective. Tora being the code word sent back to signify the attack was a success. More current was “Trapped in the Towers” a story about people who died in the WTC elevators. Lest we forget! For more mundane adventure, try “Waling Tall” about a Special Forces vet who becomes a sheriff. Or “The Naked Gun” which such titillating title suggests a mix of sex and violence! Maybe an NRA pick of the week?

Clint Eastwood who worked on the Sunday tv show, "Rawhide," for $500 a week, but who got famous (and rich) making Italian spaghetti westerns in Spain - his wealth is estimated at over $150 million - vied with the late but still great John Wayne with “Hang’em High” and “The Outlaw Jose Wales.” John Wayne’s heirs offered two mediocre choices, “The Man Who Killed Liberty Valence” a black and white, and “The Sons of Katie Elder” who we never get to see as it was her death that brought the 4 sons together. For the not yet battle weary, there was “Shot from the Sky” which you can guess, and “Marines of Lima Company.” A crime story, “Gone in 60 Seconds” sounds exciting.

This tv fare is supplemented with the usual NASCAR races for the Southern Red Neck Bud Lite drinkers who favor Ford F150s with a rifle hung in the rear window. Mixed with six hours of football, the second religion of the south, and basketball. So this is American culture. How could Osama Bin Laden see this as a threat to anyone? He must be some crazy radical!

[edit on 11/11/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I don't completely understand your complaint about the particular programming on TV. Even more I don't understand the tie-in with Veterans day, which has nothing to do with what you discussed. I love how you can qualify the entire "American culture" in the brief paragraph you wrote, thanks for taking the time to discuss the complexities of society. If you don't like war movies or Nascar, then TURN THE CHANNEL, or better yet TURN OFF THE TV! Honestly when I clicked on this post I thought it would be a stirring thank-you to all those veterans of the past, present,and future who serve so you don't have to. Instead you took the time to complain about the way some people live their lives. Good on ya!

I would just like to thank all those service men/women who do the job. I could never be that strong a person so THANK YOU!

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

posted by Nihilist Fiend

I don't understand your complaint about the particular programming on TV. Even more I don't understand the tie-in with Veterans day, Honestly when I clicked on this post I thought it would be a stirring thank-you to all those veterans of the past, Instead you took the time to complain about the way some people live their lives. Good on ya! I would just like to thank all those service men/women who do the job. I could never be that strong a person so THANK YOU! [Edited by Don W]

I’m sorry to have caused any confusion. I was trying to contrast the real culture of America versus the popular sloganeering culture about peace and democracy. For example, Bush43 just yesterday quietly signed a waiver to revive that cruel Army agency that trained the horrid “friendly” forces throughout Central America that are so much feared and hated by the inhabitants, except for the lackeys woking for United Fruit, General Foods, Chichita Banana, Dole Pineapple, and etc. Ronnie Reagan and Ollie North's Contra types.

We like war, provide we are winning. We don’t like losing wars, but only because we are losing. Not because people are dying. That is not a concern.

Someone needs to remind the emperor say commander in chief that he is wearing no clothes. I guess that falls to me.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite

She was a nice enough lady, but a Brit by birth.

What, exactly, do you mean by that?

Isn't that a racist statement?

Anyway she was Oirish so presumably much more acceptable state-side than a Brit:bash:

Rumours about Kay & Ike abounded

en.wikipedia.org...

That, I'd imagine is why the book was stolen although wiki says 'the affair' was only mentioned overtly in her second book, not that one

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Personally, i think Clint Eastwood is dangerous.

He's a Republican and very much on Bush's side.

I watched the History channel's Lost civilizations. That's always a safe bet.

I agree, Don, i agree with you and please spare me the questions about Cuber.

(That's how they pronounce it here in snobby Cape Cod)

*But a Brit* That statement is going to get you in trouble. What did you mean by that?
Are you racist towards Brits also?

[edit on 11-11-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
1) I did not know Britishers were so sensitive.
2) Proof is in the pudding; promos from private to captain, transfer from British Army - low pay - to American army - high pay - proves whatever my point was. Denial is not a river in Egypt.
3) I did not do not care about KS except for the Republicans portraying Stevenson as somehow immoral because he was divorced, but he never remarried - ok per Christian doctrine - and he got custody of the only child, Adlai Jr, later a senator.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   

posted by dgtempe

I agree, Don, i agree with you and please spare me the questions about Cuber.

(That's how they pronounce it here in snobby Cape Cod *But a Brit* That statement is going to get you in trouble. What did you mean by that? Are you racist towards Brits also? [Edited by Don W]

Ouch! " [are] you racist . . also?" Now that hurts!

Enjoy the autumn trees, etc.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

1) I did not know Britishers were so sensitive.
2) Proof is in the pudding; promos from private to captain, transfer from British Army - low pay - to American army - high pay - proves whatever my point was. Denial is not a river in Egypt.
3) I did not do not care about KS except for the Republicans portraying Stevenson as somehow immoral because he was divorced, but he never remarried - ok per Christian doctrine - and he got custody of the only child, Adlai Jr, later a senator.

We're not (except when you call us Britishers - Brits, limeys, poms etc but not that) just in a spiky mood tonight.

I like it, Stevenson was 'immoral' for having divorced but Ike was 'moral' for having a bit on the side / using US Govt money to keep his doxie sweet - seems little changes in the murky world of elections.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I’m sorry to have caused any confusion. I was trying to contrast the real culture of America versus the popular sloganeering culture about peace and democracy.

I would agree that it is dangerous to compare yesterdays wars to those of today. Not that the boots on the ground is any different, courageous and valiant as always, but the politics changes. The politicians constantly use the reasons for past wars as an excuse to misuse and endanger our current military for their own greedy means.

If you think back to World War Two it was obvious that Nazis = bad, Allies = good. Today the actions of past and current administrations has cast our role in world affairs into the grey. How can this nation defend liberty when it works to curb this very ideal in other countries and at home?

I often watch old WW2 movies with the hope that America and her allies may one day be the true defenders of peace, enemies of tyranny, and light of hope that we used to be. Till then I steer clear of TV, it only brings me doubt about our future.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Don,

You also, dear.

*Said she, as she pushed herself away from her desk in a snit*

Take care, lovey.

top topics

join